trails not signed enough?

bigboy

Reaction score
Last year some buddies & i bought trail passes so we could ride the trails around the edmonton area. We had done enough ditch banging & field riding that we thought riding some nice trails was going to be the way to go. But after riding on some of them, Ft sask in particular, i must say that we are a little dissapointed in the lack of signs. Last year we tried to make the loop from the staging area to bruderhem & back to the staging area, we never made it because we lost the trail shortly after we crossed the railway tracks up by the plants. We followed the trail across a couple of fields but lost it as we went up the road by the power lines because the turn to the left to go back in the bush is not marked at all! We ended going up the road some more & picked up some sled tracks on the power lines so followed those untill we realized it wasn`t the trail. We never did find the turn so ended up going back the same way we came, boring!
This year we tried again, although this time we turned north at the clubhouse junction to go to bruderhem first but guess what, we lost the trail again, this time shortly after leaving the town! We ended up making our way along hiway 830 to pick up the trail up by the creek that crosses the hiway. We had stopped to have a break when my brother decided to do some exploring while the rest of us had something to eat. He found it as it crossed the road that we were on. I don`t know how people are supposed to ride a trail system that is not clearly marked! It now seems to me that the trail is not very well marked as you leave bruderhem going north & up by the railway tracks as you make your way toward the warmup shelter. I carry two rolls of marking tape, one green & one red , with me so i can mark turns & stuff when we are in areas new to us. Last sunday when we came out of the bush part of the trail to go along side the road that leads to the railway tracks i marked a 3ft tall tree with two long strands of the tape. For anyone doing that loop from country boys around to bruderhem & its your first time look for that tape or you might miss the turn. Shame on the club for not having enough signs up!

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This response will be interesting, can't wait to see this. Maybe need more volunteers, you might be asked to help Bigboy. Did you buy a trail pass this year???

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Well, im involved in the signage of the trail system and we put alot of signs out. We spend several weekends setting up the signage in the early winter. Some of our signs do fall over on occasion and some are even stolen. We have stakes out on the trail on both sides to show where the trail is as well. Some of the trail system has been in Jepardy as well as there is oil companys have been using some of the land and there is some pipelines going in as well.

I will mention your comments at our next club meeting as well. Im sure there will be some comments from Glen when he gets back. There all at the ASA Jamboree for the weekend. We could use extra help as well when setting up, and maintaining these trails.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Yup, I Know Some Of The Signs Have Been Vanadalized/stolen.... Also, Not All The North Trails Are Complete, Like Ron Says, Because The Pipelines Are Using The Trials Too In Some Cases And "signs" Get Moved... Our Trail Guys Are Working On It, But Now With The Snow Starting To Dwindle, The Trail Mtce. Will Be Decreasing, Of Course. Can't Wait Til "sledderglen" Or "lost" Get Back To Respond To This........ The Number Of Sleds On The Trail And The Actual # Of Trail Pass Holders, Is Astounding.... Trail Maintenance/grooming Does Depend On The Trail Passes.... Please Also Remember It Is Against The Law To Be On The Trails Without Trail Passes, And The Bylaw And Rcmp Officers Have Been Out And About This Year.....

Apex06

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have also helped put up signs and let me say we do put up alot of signs.
I went to kakawa last weekend and wow the trail up to the cabin had a total of about 10 signs that you could barely see for 48KM. Lucky we had the best guide in town showing us where to go.

I would consider us lucky we have the amount of signs we do.
If your not happy with the way we put of signs come join us when we are putting them up and show your concern.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Right on NEW VOLUNTEERS!!! Hey Bigboy I`m sorry you got turned around. There are a number of factors about our signage in that area of our trail. #1 is that signs dissapear always no matter what we do. #2 that area is in the process of getting a new high pressure gas line and the surveyers used their markings all over the place. Very confusing. MackZ was out there last week and he tryed to fix the problem a little but just to many markers. Now as far as the trail from Bruderhiem to the sandhills it has not been open for 4 yrs now. The trail you were trying to follow was what some locals use. Without proper landowner approval we can`t sign that trail. RULE TO FOLLOW if no trail signs on the trail there is no trail just a path going somewhere put in by locals or people just wandering around. Our trail map is old and outdated and we cant remove it from the ASA site so if you try to follow it you will be without signage. Now if you are interested into making the trail better signed I will send you a PM when we take the signs down in a few weeks and then again next fall to help put them back up. That would be great and very much needed. You know carefull what you ask for you may just have volunteered yourself. Our time as volunteeres are few and yes we miss things here and there but we try and you still had a day snowmobiling and exploring around just next time be carefull those snowmobilers that were shot at last year were just out following some other trail out there. So no signs no trail.

snowseeker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well said Glenn. I agree 100%. There is alot of pipline work going on as well as upgraders as I am in the business and it crosses our trail more then once so it is confusing and I was out a few weeks ago an would have to say that we will probaly loose lots of signs this year due to the construction out there.

bigboy

Reaction score
I would have no problem helping out. I just got off the phone with my brother, he was with me that weekend, You have at least two volunteers for when you pull your signs. Do you do it on sleds or what? I also have a friend with a polaris ranger that could be talked into bringing it out. What do you think? If the day is a sunday, no problem, if it`s a saturday then depending on what the date is, that could be a problem because of work. Post the date as soon as you know what it is.
Last year when we were on the trails we had yearly passes for 06/07. This year we did not get yearly passes as time is limited & thought that we could get DAY passes for when we needed them. But guess what, even that was a pain. I called the ASA on friday to get passes for sunday & was told that i had to get them from club members. So i asked for contact names & numbers which they gave me. I was given Brad Hooks, Glen Gillis & one of the McCleans numbers. I tried those numbers friday nite & on saturday only to find out that everybody is out of town. I got that info from one of the daughter`s of the guys. When i asked her for a name of somebody that could help me i was told sorry i don`t know. So to make a long story short no we did not have valid day passes for when we were out there although we wanted too! Why doesn`t the ASA have day passes when it seems they are the easiest to get in touch with?

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So many questions so little answers. I WILL contact you for you help. Thanks for volunteering. We need more of you all over Alberta

Top Bottom