Trail Pass Increases!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
:d:beer:

Griffin, Area 51 ,Hall Mtn ,those are a few of the areas I've rode and they are not maintained so thats just what happens. I don't have a problem with paying when I use a maintained area like Fernie and I always buy a yearly trail pass. That being said I like to ride the less populated areas and avoid all the politics federal provincial and personal. Oh and thanks for the trail conditions down Fernie way you guys do a great job. I guess it's a bit of a pain down Fernie way with all the pipeline access to the ride areas. But hey like I said I buyb a yearly so you can jump back down off your soapbox.

Set the record straight, please. You buy a "yearly trail pass" and just what are you buying? If it isn't a Fernie club membership you don't help us one iota. A BCSF membership from another club (whether it be Revelstoke, Golden, or ABCSnow from VARDA) doesn't put money into our coffers.

Yes, we keep a cabin on the pipeline with a bar-b-que and cord wood to keep things warm and the majority who access the Notch ride the pipeline without contributing. It would be nice to find an easy solution as we don't groom the pipeline and "grooming fees" would be laughed at at the least.

Thanks for the accolades and by the way, I didn't think I was on a soap box....just saying:d:d:d

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BC Crown lands do not belong to Albertans, sorry. As a BCSF Club President, the club can set any regulations on any of the clubs tenures. Those secret spots you refer to are kept open by Clubs.

Most of you do not have a clue to what it takes to keep these areas open for winter recreation use. These areas are on all the greenies scope to limit or completely stop use.

So stop whinning about trail fees, think yourselves lucky that there is still access for out of Province users. Very soon some of those secret spots will require a trail permit.

These enviromentalists are using the bad apples of the sledding community as there ammo. Garbage, harrassing wildlife, ecosystem damage, avi deaths, are just a few issues, it is very easy to police the locals. It is an entire different issue policing out of towners and even more difficult with out of province riders. Permits will be the only way to hold riders accountable.

Like others have said CROWN land is owned by the federal gov't so albertans have just as much right to use it as anyone. You talk of how you guys work so hard and fight to keep area's open, and i bet you do. But on the flip side of things i've seen clubs that belonged to the BCSF that had alot of meetings and such to go to to try and keep area's open and they contacted the bcsf to see if there was anything that they could do to help out in fighting for our area's and they were told they were on there own. Hence why some clubs are now dropping the bcsf and becoming affiliated with the new ABC club because they will help out the smaller clubs when there is an area to be fought for. My two cents...

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Set the record straight, please. You buy a "yearly trail pass" and just what are you buying? If it isn't a Fernie club membership you don't help us one iota. A BCSF membership from another club (whether it be Revelstoke, Golden, or ABCSnow from VARDA) doesn't put money into our coffers.

Yes, we keep a cabin on the pipeline with a bar-b-que and cord wood to keep things warm and the majority who access the Notch ride the pipeline without contributing. It would be nice to find an easy solution as we don't groom the pipeline and "grooming fees" would be laughed at at the least.

Thanks for the accolades and by the way, I didn't think I was on a soap box....just saying:d:d:d

Thanks for the clearing something up for me I have been joining the BCSF this yr I will get a Fernie membership as well. I love the area and appreciate all the work you guys put in. On a side note I can donate the survey stakes and flagging for the pipeline hazzard marking if you like pm me and I will get the gear to you or meet and help set it up whatever you are good with. I was just trying to get accross that I like the out of the way areas and that all of the ones I go to are not maintained so I don't have to pay a $ 30.00 trail fee. Just given people options rather see them ride then not. Just given you a poke with the soapbox remark.:d:beer::beer::beer:

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like others have said CROWN land is owned by the federal gov't so albertans have just as much right to use it as anyone. You talk of how you guys work so hard and fight to keep area's open, and i bet you do. But on the flip side of things i've seen clubs that belonged to the BCSF that had alot of meetings and such to go to to try and keep area's open and they contacted the bcsf to see if there was anything that they could do to help out in fighting for our area's and they were told they were on there own. Hence why some clubs are now dropping the bcsf and becoming affiliated with the new ABC club because they will help out the smaller clubs when there is an area to be fought for. My two cents...

Here is a great example of someone who knows. You guys are great see ya this winter bought my Klim boots there last yr best price I found.:d:beer:

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Guess it's ABC instead of BCSF thanks:d:beer:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score

I think this is what Barry (bbtoys) was trying to get across as well, basically that the BCSF likes to take money but but not offer up support, where-as the ABC will support and work with clubs...

Last edited:

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is a great example of someone who knows. You guys are great see ya this winter bought my Klim boots there last yr best price I found.:d:beer:

Thanks man.. With all our gear and stuff we try our best to have it the same price or very close to the same as you would find it in the city. This way hopefully more guys will once again look at buyin there stuff from us, so we can in turn continue to provide a great service to the people that come out to ride our great area's. Last season we had alot of guys phoneing out to see if we had certain sizes in stock and we usually did so they'd just pick it up from us. We also has lot's of guys phone and make sure i had the aftermarket goodies they wanted for there sled and then they would drop there sled off (at night sometimes) and we would have it all goin and set-up for them the next mornin.. I think so far the lastest i've been workin at the shop to get guys goin for the next day was 3am, but gladly did it because it meant that someone was able to ride the next, on there own sled and didn't have to rent one from us.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

Now here's the twist in all of this....Fernie belongs to the BCSF so if you buy a Fernie membership $38 + HST goes to the BCSF. We doo get a lot of mail from the BCSF office but.....

If you buy a membership in Elkford, it is ABCSnow! Different strokes for different folks I guess. I belong to both, one for insurance purposes and the other for professional reasons.

Thanks for the staking, I'll PM you later today.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

Now I'll throw a curve ball into all of this....

In Fernie we are looking for a new location for a cabin. One location is on a "Dominion Government Block" and we are dealing with Ottawa or the Federal Government. I do not know how many of these Blocks are scattered throughout BC but we have two such enities. The other is on "private property" that has been taken out of BC Crown land so we are dealing with the landowner. We do not have BC Crown land in the vicinity of our proposed new cabin location.

When we look at Recreation sites on BC Crown land we deal with the BC Ministry of Culture, Arts, and Sport. The Crown land in BC is just that, BC Crown land and not the Fed's. The ALR (Agriculture Land Reserve) in BC controls the development or non-development of crown or private land in BC
so that the farmland is not used up for golf courses and housing development (presumably).

Saying all of that, I feel that everyone (whether Albertans, folks from the old country, Manitoba, or Montana, etc.) have a right to access and use BC Crown land. If it is on a groomed trail please pay the grooming fee with a smile on your face is all I ask and yes, maybe join a local club whether it be BCSF orABCSnow.

MMC 800 XP

Reaction score
Now I'll throw a curve ball into all of this....

In Fernie we are looking for a new location for a cabin. One location is on a "Dominion Government Block" and we are dealing with Ottawa or the Federal Government. I do not know how many of these Blocks are scattered throughout BC but we have two such enities. The other is on "private property" that has been taken out of BC Crown land so we are dealing with the landowner. We do not have BC Crown land in the vicinity of our proposed new cabin location.

When we look at Recreation sites on BC Crown land we deal with the BC Ministry of Culture, Arts, and Sport. The Crown land in BC is just that, BC Crown land and not the Fed's. The ALR (Agriculture Land Reserve) in BC controls the development or non-development of crown or private land in BC
so that the farmland is not used up for golf courses and housing development (presumably).

Saying all of that, I feel that everyone (whether Albertans, folks from the old country, Manitoba, or Montana, etc.) have a right to access and use BC Crown land. If it is on a groomed trail please pay the grooming fee with a smile on your face is all I ask and yes, maybe join a local club whether it be BCSF orABCSnow.

Ok is it not better we all belong to one united voice rather than a bunch??? of diffrent clubs. United we stand devided we fall. We as sledders need to stand for this something or we will fall for everything.:d:beer:

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok is it not better we all belong to one united voice rather than a bunch??? of diffrent clubs. United we stand devided we fall. We as sledders need to stand for this something or we will fall for everything.:d:beer:

Thats the Chit:d

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BC Crown lands do not belong to Albertans, sorry. As a BCSF Club President, the club can set any regulations on any of the clubs tenures. Those secret spots you refer to are kept open by Clubs.

Most of you do not have a clue to what it takes to keep these areas open for winter recreation use. These areas are on all the greenies scope to limit or completely stop use.

So stop whinning about trail fees, think yourselves lucky that there is still access for out of Province users. Very soon some of those secret spots will require a trail permit.

These enviromentalists are using the bad apples of the sledding community as there ammo. Garbage, harrassing wildlife, ecosystem damage, avi deaths, are just a few issues, it is very easy to police the locals. It is an entire different issue policing out of towners and even more difficult with out of province riders. Permits will be the only way to hold riders accountable.

All this talk about trail fees being paid to the clubs and then the BCSF is brought into it?? OKAY............?:confused: Saw someone from the BCSF make a brief statement after the Revy avy, not overly flattering to sledders. We paid our trail fees and BCSF fees last year, where was the press release from the BCSF defending your right to ride the mountains you claim as "yours"?

But hey, let's all debate who's "mountains" they are. As a born and raised BC resident now working in Alberta, am I less entitled to the mountains than you? As counterpoint - maybe mindsets might change about the "sharing" of resources if Alberta was to shut off its flow of oil to BC. Gonna be hard on the pocketbook riding all winter on imported US fuel @ $8.99/L......

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks man.. With all our gear and stuff we try our best to have it the same price or very close to the same as you would find it in the city. This way hopefully more guys will once again look at buyin there stuff from us, so we can in turn continue to provide a great service to the people that come out to ride our great area's. Last season we had alot of guys phoneing out to see if we had certain sizes in stock and we usually did so they'd just pick it up from us. We also has lot's of guys phone and make sure i had the aftermarket goodies they wanted for there sled and then they would drop there sled off (at night sometimes) and we would have it all goin and set-up for them the next mornin.. I think so far the lastest i've been workin at the shop to get guys goin for the next day was 3am, but gladly did it because it meant that someone was able to ride the next, on there own sled and didn't have to rent one from us.

That is the best could take advantage but you don't and you want the return bis. Thats a credible establishment these days there are less and less of nice to know I shop at one.:d:beer:

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You been smokin way to much BC bud. Get some background info on who ownes crown lands. It floors me that you are the voice of the BCSF good to see you only speak for yourself cause I'm sure all the bizes that survive do to tourism do not agree with your opinion. Thanks for making my decision about what assosiation to join easier. Hello ABC hope ya all got more on the ball than this guy.:d

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I only ride in BC twice a year if I'm lucky. If I were to join a club, is it better to join the local club where I may ride once or twice, or join the ABC? Which would help more?

heyjude

RIP Judy
Reaction score
Website
www.mountainhavenbb.vpweb.com
I only ride in BC twice a year if I'm lucky. If I were to join a club, is it better to join the local club where I may ride once or twice, or join the ABC? Which would help more?

Really, if you only ride BC a couple of times, your best bet is just buying your trail passes. Since so much Govt. funding has been cut off for the BC clubs, the trail fees have had to be increased - the extra $$ you pay now goes directly (at least here in McBride it does) to the local club in the area you ride so that they can maintain trails and cabins, plow parking lots, etc.

CRF

Reaction score
maybe mindsets might change about the "sharing" of resources if Alberta was to shut off its flow of oil to BC. Gonna be hard on the pocketbook riding all winter on imported US fuel @ $8.99/L......

Are you serious? :rolleyes: Where have you been...How do you expect to be taken seriously after a ignorant comment like this. lol

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Are you serious? :rolleyes: Where have you been...

Originally Posted by CRF

"BC Crown lands do not belong to Albertans, sorry. As a BCSF Club President, the club can set any regulations on any of the clubs tenures."

"think yourselves lucky that there is still access for out of Province users"

Probably about as serious as you were with the above 2 statements.....

Top Bottom