Trail closed forever

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Fort Saskatchewan and District Snow Angels have lost the access for their trail in the Bruderhiem area. This spring we received notice from a few landowners to be removed from the landowner agreement with the club and the ASA. They had the normal reason such as noise, trespassing, off trail riding, etc. What got me was they disliked the RCMP patrolling the trail. Couple of these landowners are local sledders. The RCMP were there to control the other reasons for them not wanting the trail anymore.
Club will continue as a more of a riding club. Lots of areas to ride and many club trails to check out.
We still have a section of the Trans Canadian Snowmobile Trail to operate between Flatbush AB and Swan Hills. Your continued support of the club and trail would be appreciated.
Please do not use the old trail or staging area as they are on private land and you would be trespassing.
Thanks

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
It's very unfortunate that is came down to this. Maybe in the future things could change, but sadly, these trails are closed, all signs have been removed, and as Glen has said if you ride in these areas you ARE tresspassing and can be charged as such.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
So sad. The trail system will b missed by many.
Chances are the reason they have pulled our is due to loud pipes and misuse of the trail system.....basically we (the public) probably brought it upon ourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

there was a reason signs were up that stated "Stay on the trail", and yes, I'm sure noise could be a part of it as well.

It's sad either way and yes the trail system will be missed.

As Glen stated there is a beautiful trail that will be maintained by the Snow Angels up near Flat Bush Alberta with lots of riding.

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's too bad, it's never good to see areas or trails closed down, it's only going to get worse with all the new people getting into sledding. Hopefully people will start educating themselves and the new riders they bring into our sport and hobby, personally for backcountry riding I'd like to se a licensing program where avy training and environmental stewardship was required prior to entering the backcountry. Common sense is no longer enough of a preventative measure, even at work that term is a lost cause nowadays.

fidorama

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.geocaching.com
That not good at all... very unfortunate indeed! It is funny how policing was mentioned as one of their reasons, but I suppose you never know what factors may have been involved. I would have to guess the off trail adventurer's were likely the biggest issue. My question to you Glen, was there some liability waiver involved in the agreement the club had with landowners? In the case of damages or injuries kind of thing? Strathcona County is certainly not known as a very sled or quad friendly jurisdiction.. Too bad, as there are some very nice area's in the county

Last edited:

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So if someone does trespass, you're probably going to be shot at too, since apparently they dislike the RCMP.

techgreg

Reaction score
That's too bad, it's never good to see areas or trails closed down, it's only going to get worse with all the new people getting into sledding. Hopefully people will start educating themselves and the new riders they bring into our sport and hobby, personally for backcountry riding I'd like to se a licensing program where avy training and environmental stewardship was required prior to entering the backcountry. Common sense is no longer enough of a preventative measure, even at work that term is a lost cause nowadays.

This is very true, I couldn't agree more!

gerrit

Reaction score
That sucks.my family and I have been wanting to check that trail out .live to close to ministik.hope that does not happen there.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That sucks.my family and I have been wanting to check that trail out .live to close to ministik.hope that does not happen there.

if your interested In Ministik then you need to get involved and keep it open. Tri county snowmobile club can use as much help as they can

Snowmahn

Reaction score
Sledderglen, I looked through your history, as far back a 2007. It is apparent that you are somewhat of a police hater, or have a problem with law enforcement. In most of your posts you are looking to blame special constables, rcmp, or bylaws. As a "moderator" and "vip member" I would expect more from you. Truly you are passionate about sledding. However, instead of spending time looking to blame police, perhaps you should be policing your own, with the same vigor you blame police. I have purchased trail passes and ridden the trails. It is very clear that riders are not sticking to the groomed and marked trails. Time and time again I see sleds ripping all over the property and blazing their own trails. If i was a property owner, i would be pissed that I offer up my land for your use and enjoyment and you don't have the courtesy to stay on the marked trails. Im sure some of the land owners pourpously called the police to make patrols for the yahoos that show no respect. No wonder multiple landowners are pulling out of the trail system. I am sad to see them leave, but i dont really blame them. If you sledderglen offered up the first 10feet of your front lawn as a sled trail, and everyone kept leaving the trail and sledding over your flower beds and ripping through your trees, and meters from your house, you would be looking to shut things down too.
Perhaps your efforts Sledderglen would be better suited at club level, to enforce the local rules and set up a club checkpoint on a trail to educate riders using your trails.
So quit trying to blame everyone else for your misfortune, and standup and take responsibility for your actions. The loss of the trail is not due to strathcona county or the police, its you and your members, and those sledders that show complete dissregard.
Hopefully, something will turn around in the future, and we will regain our great sledding trails.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Sledderglen, I looked through your history, as far back a 2007. It is apparent that you are somewhat of a police hater, or have a problem with law enforcement. In most of your posts you are looking to blame special constables, rcmp, or bylaws. As a "moderator" and "vip member" I would expect more from you. Truly you are passionate about sledding. However, instead of spending time looking to blame police, perhaps you should be policing your own, with the same vigor you blame police. I have purchased trail passes and ridden the trails. It is very clear that riders are not sticking to the groomed and marked trails. Time and time again I see sleds ripping all over the property and blazing their own trails. If i was a property owner, i would be pissed that I offer up my land for your use and enjoyment and you don't have the courtesy to stay on the marked trails. Im sure some of the land owners pourpously called the police to make patrols for the yahoos that show no respect. No wonder multiple landowners are pulling out of the trail system. I am sad to see them leave, but i dont really blame them. If you sledderglen offered up the first 10feet of your front lawn as a sled trail, and everyone kept leaving the trail and sledding over your flower beds and ripping through your trees, and meters from your house, you would be looking to shut things down too.
Perhaps your efforts Sledderglen would be better suited at club level, to enforce the local rules and set up a club checkpoint on a trail to educate riders using your trails.
So quit trying to blame everyone else for your misfortune, and standup and take responsibility for your actions. The loss of the trail is not due to strathcona county or the police, its you and your members, and those sledders that show complete dissregard.
Hopefully, something will turn around in the future, and we will regain our great sledding trails.

Not sure where you're getting this from, I can assure you as a club and Glen as TRAIL MASTER welcome the Strathcona County Patrol out there, they put a lid on a lot of issues that were occuring. However, the LAND OWNERS stated in their LETTER to the ASA and the CLUB that they did not like the County Patrol being out there, and being stopped by them, being questioned as to whether they had registration/insurance etc.

Yes, there were people off trail, this happens everywhere, however you can stake and fence until the cows come home and people will still find their way off trail, is it right? NO it sure is not, is it how trails get shut down? Absolutely it is.

I think you need to check your facts before going out and slamming someone who's been as involved in this club as well as others, as long and with as many hours invested into THIS SPECIFIC TRAIL year over year........ Come out to a club meeting and find out for sure who does what and when....... don't just throw out your 2 bits.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sledderglen, I looked through your history, as far back a 2007. It is apparent that you are somewhat of a police hater, or have a problem with law enforcement. In most of your posts you are looking to blame special constables, rcmp, or bylaws. As a "moderator" and "vip member" I would expect more from you. Truly you are passionate about sledding. However, instead of spending time looking to blame police, perhaps you should be policing your own, with the same vigor you blame police. Im sure some of the land owners pourpously called the police to make patrols for the yahoos that show no respect.

Wtf are you talking about??? Glen is not blaming the police. Go back and slowly read his post out loud to yourself. He said the landowners do not want the police patrolling the trails. All he was stating was that the trails were being closed due to the landowners pulling permission. Throw your crap in a different direction. I know for sure it wasn't Glen ripping off the trails or misusing them in any way what so ever. :mad:

fidorama

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.geocaching.com
Ya, I don't think anyone should be pointing fingers at sledderglen. I am certain this trail shut down had nothing to do with his actions. if it was not for him, and people like him, we would have a lot less of these area's. Sure I 100% agree its an issue with off trail use, as a land owner, and having to deal with these types of issues as well, I don't blame them either.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Snowmahn, this was a totally uncalled for.... Sledderglen would be the last person i know of that would in any way, wonder off trail, or abuse any trail conditions. The whole snow angel's organization is a wonderful conglomeration of members, and i highly doubt any of the members would be to blame.... When we were on trails and talking to other "non-member" riders, it was amazing how many rider's never even had an asa membership(and unfortunately most were from the fine city of edmonton)- we as an organization are unable to prevent non asa members from riding our trail system, but the rcmp and bylaw were helping the situation by asking riders for registration and insurance and if trail passes were purchased, however the latter cannot be enforced .... You flapped your jaws a little too acutely snowmahn, and without any justification, blaming a great ambassador to the sport and a very fine club. How about this.... Challenge you, snowmahn to get out and help with local clubs and their trails, before you throw an unjustified 2 cents in a pot.

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It has been my observation that not everyone riding the trails in my area have ASA stickers or follow the rules. Anybody can find a trail and rip it up and create problems, it takes a ton of volunteers to keep it nice and make peace with owners and law enforcement.
It is no easy job. A tip of my hat to the volunteers that make this possible.
That being said, I am not a member of the Sno-Angels due to logisitics and work schedule, but I am a supporter of the ASA.
And speaking of cops... what ever happened to OHV Cop?

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com

What!!!! That spew was uncalled for.
Long before I knew and called Mr Glen a friend I was impressed with his ability to work with any group.
Mr. Glen has been a sledding ambassador to the sport for....well before Mr Bombardier made the first sled.
I've been present at many meetings (snow angels) and seen the positive intersection between him and the constables.
He's a first class act.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom