Trail plaque has gone missing........Galloway Gap Trail

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
This trial was renamed for the hours of dedicated work that a very good friend of mine has put toward motorized recreation in the Elk Valley and British Columbia. Gordon Galloway has been a very big part of continued access in the Elk Valley and as a result, the Big Weary Ridge Trail was renamed in his honour and is now called the Galloway Gap Trail. Below is an excerpt from the President of the Elkford ATV club. The world is small and maybe someone on this great forum would have heard or will hear something and the wheels can be put into motion to get the plaque returned.

Yesterday June 27,2017, some members of the Elkford ATV Club rode with the Conservation Officer on Patrol in the Elk Valley. She took us up onto our registered trail Big Weary Ridge Trail /Galloway Gap Trail as part of her Access Management Area checks. As soon as we got to the summit, we saw that someone had stolen our beautiful bronze plaque that we had installed at the summit dedicated to Gordon Galloway.
I filed a Police report this morning and was advised to put the information on the Elkford Buy and Sell Face Book Page and I did that. I will also put it in the local papers. I also contacted The District of Elkford Staff. I would also like to get the word out to ATV BC Club members.

If anyone has any information on the theft, please contact the Elk Valley RCMP. 250-425-6233.

Here are a few pictures from the day we installed it August 31,2016.
This trail is only open from July 1 - August 31 each year for ATV's only. It is open for hikers and equestrian riders all the time, and it is open to Snowmobiles in the winter.
It broke our hearts to see that someone would do something like that. But I am sure that living in a small community that someone knows something, and hopefully we can get our plaque returned no questions asked. Thank you.

DSCN7622.jpg

DSCN7635.jpg

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
seriously.. I hope this a simple mystery that someone took it in to get polished kind of thing. What kind of douche would steal something like that.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
seriously.. I hope this a simple mystery that someone took it in to get polished kind of thing. What kind of douche would steal something like that.

That would be a simple solution but I seriously doubt it. There is a lot of hostility out there between motorized back country users and the others.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats still no excuse. I hope they find the lowlife that did this and make an example of him.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i am finding that people have very little respect for anyone or anything these days. we have a few plaques, on the trails where i have been riding and it is nice to see them there every year, but the way things have been going who knows for how long they will be there.

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen several memorials in the backcountry. Been part of the installation of one dedicated to a forum member that passed at too young an age. I can't even fathom how someone could even think about vandalizing something like that. We never know what t expect when we visit Kelly's memorial, just hope nobody wrecks it. It means a lot to me, but even more to those who knew him better and longer than me.
I always enjoy seeing these in the woods. Benches that are in the middle of nowhere, warm up shelters on trail systems, bridges dedicated to volunteers that made areas accessible and safe for others. Some have detailed stories, some just names and dates.

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No reason to steal the thing but I could see some idiots ripping it down & throwing it over the hillside!!
No respect for anything anymore!!!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No reason to steal the thing but I could see some idiots ripping it down & throwing it over the hillside!!
No respect for anything anymore!!!

very sad note on change in society. likely only going to get worse i'm afraid.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Steal it take it home melt it down and sell as raw metal. These plaques need to be made from plastic now. No value in the raw material=no reason to steal it

Sorry Ferniew. We had a friend also that went out of his way to help others

Top Bottom