toyo mt vs goodyear duratrac

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
k well that tells it all .................. ur not even doing it ...... u see i have been doing it for 20 years ... and also run a shop , plus work in it

so that tells me u sell the rims-tires-lifts ect.... but have no idea at all ......

thanks for the laugh

I have a pretty good idea...because I have a decent intelligence level...20 years won't even buy you that!! The laugh is on you tex...you can't even answer a simple question that relates to the field that you have 20 years experience in...now that is funny!! 3300+ posts in just over 2 years tells me that you don't do a whole lot:) What you do isn't rocket science...although maybe it is for you? The fact that I request not to have my Toyo's balanced and have the shop coincide the dots in the right location and have NO issues tells me that I have a pretty good idea of how things work. And you...with all your high dollar equipment can't even get a Toyo to balance...sound like you are the one lacking here:confused:

I see that you finally attempted to answer the question...yes every rim has a high and a low spot as well...BRILLIANT:D

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Huh. Nice. Well hope that works for ya.

On a side note. For the people that balance. The mag balance ( bag balance beads ) is the cats meow.

It compansates for mud , ice, snow ect packed on the inside of the rim. Also as the tire wears and loosed mass ...
Every time u stop and start again it rebalances.

Oh here's one for ya ... Mud in the rim

It's 1.25 out on the inside and .75 on the outside.

Cleaned the rim out and rechecked. Huh wow .25 only on one side now.

But I'm dumb....

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh wait here's the other back one that the p.s.I washer missed too

Oh ya it wanted 1.50 on the out side and 1.00 on the inside.

Cleaned now and rechecked. Wait for it

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh and stompin Tom. Never said m55 where bad. They are good. A bit of a compromise as far a traction in mud and or ice.

It's the open country mt and at that I have a beef with.

Funny how a hankook rf10 and open at's are close to 100 bucks in price diff but look and last the same

Just sayin

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
k well that tells it all .................. ur not even doing it ...... u see i have been doing it for 20 years ... and also run a shop , plus work in it

so that tells me u sell the rims-tires-lifts ect.... but have no idea at all ......

thanks for the laugh

I'm thinking HRT has a little bit of an idea what he is talking about...He runs a pretty reputable shop to say the least and not often do you ever hear any complaints from his customers.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya well he might be good at bolting chit on.

But come on. There's a reason y shops all over the world balance tires.

Chit in the old days they used to use water inside.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HTR i made this comment also about toyo MT'S not needing any balancing a while ago and tex78 jumped all over it saying not so. I have ran alot of different tires when you put on up 100000 plus kms some years and by far the toyo have been the best as far as not needing any balance.
The Goodyear Duratrac is a great tire also and would us them again as good milage from the tires and smooth ride.
The Ford dealer ship installs lots of the TOYO MT'S on lifted trucks and no balancing required.
But as we all know options are like arse holes and everyone has one.
Cheers guys

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya well he might be good at bolting chit on.

But come on. There's a reason y shops all over the world balance tires.

Chit in the old days they used to use water inside.

Yes...I am good at bolting on suspension...fabricating...tuning and rebuilding shocks...and the list goes on, but there are guys all over the world that are good at these things!! I never once said that balancing machines aren't useful. There are always going to be crap tires/wheel combinations out there that are going to need weight thrown at them. It was you that said that Toyo M/T's don't balance worth crap...so I disagreed with you. I have a lot of experience with these tires...so, I called you out on it. Never once did I question your abilities or intelligence until you started being an AZZ HAT. You had nothing legit to back up your statements...so you had to start slingin' chit and I'm always up for a good war:D Like I said before...c'mon down for a visit and we can go over a few things. You can even have a look at some of the "chit" I bolt on...the door is always open:)

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
May take ya up on that.

I'll bring a chit tire - rim and a good one

Then u can brain wash me all ya want. Then ill show ya how bag balance works.
Might even Google it to find a video so u can watch and don't have to read to understand.

:what:

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Which dot ??? Yellow or red. ???

Baaaaaaaaaaaa. Dots mean dittely chit.

Sometimes the best balance is 180 away from the dot on lots of tires

Tex, the dots are not a perfect science, but they are a definite help. The better quality the tire is, the more important the dot is. When dealing with tires like Toyo, Bridgestone, Yokohama, using the dots can eliminate allot of balance weights, but your also correct, rims are not perfect. Once they have been curbed or not properly cleaned before balancing you can be wasting your time.

A little info on the dots and rims if you use the, can also explain your moving the tire. Aluminum and steel rims are different with regards to the dots, but also what you use for a valve stem. On a steel rim, the valve stem hole is the lightest part of the wheel, so if you install rubber valve stems it remains the lightest point on the wheel, but if you use a metal valve stem it then becomes the heaviest spot on the wheel. So if your mounting your tires on steel wheels, you put the dot on the valve stem if you have a rubber valve stem, but if you are using a steel valve stem you put the dot at 180 degrees.

A little different with aluminum wheels, the valve stem hole is always the lightest part of the wheel, so you align the dot at the valve stem, but if your using rubber valve stems the difference is very little.

Just a little background for you, I have 15 years in the tire industry, 3 years on the service floor, a further 7 years in sales and management then after that 5 years working for Goodyear as a tech rep, my last 2 years I was in charge of handling all medium truck warranty for all of BC. That was a fair amount of time ago, I was around when the Kal - Goodyear marriage broke up and when Goodyear and Fountain got married I only lasted a few more years, a huge change in the way Goodyear was structured in BC took place and I left for greener pastures

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tex, the dots are not a perfect science, but they are a definite help. The better quality the tire is, the more important the dot is. When dealing with tires like Toyo, Bridgestone, Yokohama, using the dots can eliminate allot of balance weights, but your also correct, rims are not perfect. Once they have been curbed or not properly cleaned before balancing you can be wasting your time.

A little info on the dots and rims if you use the, can also explain your moving the tire. Aluminum and steel rims are different with regards to the dots, but also what you use for a valve stem. On a steel rim, the valve stem hole is the lightest part of the wheel, so if you install rubber valve stems it remains the lightest point on the wheel, but if you use a metal valve stem it then becomes the heaviest spot on the wheel. So if your mounting your tires on steel wheels, you put the dot on the valve stem if you have a rubber valve stem, but if you are using a steel valve stem you put the dot at 180 degrees.

A little different with aluminum wheels, the valve stem hole is always the lightest part of the wheel, so you align the dot at the valve stem, but if your using rubber valve stems the difference is very little.

Just a little background for you, I have 15 years in the tire industry, 3 years on the service floor, a further 7 years in sales and management then after that 5 years working for Goodyear as a tech rep, my last 2 years I was in charge of handling all medium truck warranty for all of BC. That was a fair amount of time ago, I was around when the Kal - Goodyear marriage broke up and when Goodyear and Fountain got married I only lasted a few more years, a huge change in the way Goodyear was structured in BC took place and I left for greener pastures

Thanks, Tom, for the answer to the question from my previous post. That was the type of answer I expected from the other 20 year veteran of the tire industry. Not rocket science by any means, but tire and wheel science from someone who took pride in their job:)

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
May take ya up on that.

I'll bring a chit tire - rim and a good one

Then u can brain wash me all ya want. Then ill show ya how bag balance works.
Might even Google it to find a video so u can watch and don't have to read to understand.

:what:

No need to educate me on balance beads...I actually prefer the bead injection system vs. the bead bags. Although, it is a little more tedious, I have seen beads hang up in the corner of a bag that doesn't properly open - causing balance issues. No need for a google search for a video on the topic...I try to stay on top of "OLD" technology as tires and wheels are a large part of our business...even if we don't mount them in house:) But, there is also no need to spend a bunch of $$ if it's not necessary when using quality manufactured wheels and tires.

dpolacik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have Toyo Mts with 80000kms unbalanced on them but will be replacing with Pro Comp extreme At's. Find the Pro Comps a more friendly tire in all conditions.just my 2 cents.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thanks Tom. Pretty much what I was saying and or going to say.

But havin said that I'm not waisting my time and any more thought on offroad.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No need to educate me on balance beads...I actually prefer the bead injection system vs. the bead bags. Although, it is a little more tedious, I have seen beads hang up in the corner of a bag that doesn't properly open - causing balance issues. No need for a google search for a video on the topic...I try to stay on top of "OLD" technology as tires and wheels are a large part of our business...even if we don't mount them in house:) But, there is also no need to spend a bunch of $$ if it's not necessary when using quality manufactured wheels and tires.

Also there is a sand style bag ( old style ) that also if it got moist would clump.

The new beads a synthetic balls and can't clump.

Have never seen some in a old bag like it never opened all the way.

But yet again u do tires all day , every day

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also there is a sand style bag ( old style ) that also if it got moist would clump.

The new beads a synthetic balls and can't clump.

Have never seen some in a old bag like it never opened all the way.

But yet again u do tires all day , every day

If you have anything intelligent to add...I'm all ears, but till then please go back to the corner and put your pointy hat back on. You may want to work a little on your literacy as well...just sayin'

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well as u can see I'm using my phone and has a stupid auto correct.

But an azz hat would say something like that. Real nice.. must be a snob from okacraps

Just sayin.

Oh wait that's not the right spelling.

Last edited:

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
Duratrac is a softer rubber & a great tire.... But the MT toyo wins in the dig department, Duratrac wins in the winter, Have to lower the air on the Toyo if using for winter use...

Top Bottom