toyo mt vs goodyear duratrac

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had both tires in a 35". Which is the better tire in mud, snow ,ice, wear etc?

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got 55000 km out of a 37 toto mt on a chipped 3500 dodge diesel. Not bad I think

Tires were good all around. The width will hurt you in snow. I would buy again if they weren't do damn expensive.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just found a good discussion on all three tires, including the new nitto trail grapplers. most are leaning towards the duratracs. This is going on a 3500 dodge diesel.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm running the nittos right now. Decent tire. Very similar to the toyo but not getting the life out of them. Mind you I paid half of what the toyo would of cost me

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is what I read too. I had the terra grapplers on my last truck. Were not a bad tire but not great neither. Wore quick and were not great in the winter.

tool_man

Reaction score
Toyo MT clearly better in mud, but the Duratrac is a good all around tire and seems to wear well. Two very different tires really, the Duratrac would compare more with the Toyo AT.

I have run all three, Duratrac, Toyo MT and AT.

vegamark

Reaction score
I wanted to put duratrac on my 11 dodge 2500 as the factory one suck, but no one had stock, all on back order, and I didn't want to wait 6 months to get them, so I put terra grapplers on, they are a lot better tire then the stock Bfg rugged trails I took off at 5,000kms!

recguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run 35" toyo mt on my F-250, and 33" duratracs on the dirtymax. Both have about 30,000km on them and show roughly the same wear. Both have similar road noise. Both are similarly priced, depends where you buy. I prefer the Toyo MT.

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My experience:

Toyo MT: Looks awesome. Worked good off road. Towing my 5th wheel, they wore VERY fast. Makes sense for a softer tire. But I HATED them on ice. Even got them siped and they still sucked.

Goodyear Duratrac: Worth the wait. So much better in the winter. Based on the tread, not going to run these in the summer, since I am pretty sure they will suck for towing.

Nitto Terra Grappler: Doesn't "look" as cool as the other two. Works great for 99% of the off road that people actually do, not what they think they do. Towing they got nearly double the life of my Toyos. Winter conditions they did fine too.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Toyos are way over priced hockey pucks.

Nittos wear faster than anything ...

Duratracks are good winter tires but might wear down faster in summer.

Bfg allterains same as duratracks.

Have had real good luck both fierce attitudes and hankook rt01 ...

Have sold tons of both and every one said they would never go back to toyos or nitro wear fast tires.

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same as tool man as have ran all three. Don't buy the AT as tried couple sets and poor traction in the winter and only good on pavement with wear very fast. Have ran couple sets of Duratracs and like them the best for all around. Will pickup a few more flats with them then the Toyo Mt but all around better tire.
Toyo Mt has a very stiff side wall compared to any tire i have tried and the casings seem to be alot tougher as you almost never get a flat. If putting these in a wider size on your stock wheels and packing weight your will were your rims out in about 80 thousand k.
Wears the inside bead out on the back wheels and Dodge seems to be the worst.
One more thing nice anbout the Toyo MT is no weight is required to balance them compared to other brands.
My two cents.

Toyo MT clearly better in mud, but the Duratrac is a good all around tire and seems to wear well. Two very different tires really, the Duratrac would compare more with the Toyo AT.

I have run all three, Duratrac, Toyo MT and AT.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Huh that's funny. Toyos are the worst to balance. Even with bag balance.

Bfg allterains have a 3 ply side wall where all the others have 2. What tire has the stiffest side wall??????

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Toyos are way over priced hockey pucks.

Nittos wear faster than anything ...

Duratracks are good winter tires but might wear down faster in summer.

Bfg allterains same as duratracks.

Have had real good luck both fierce attitudes and hankook rt01 ...

Have sold tons of both and every one said they would never go back to toyos or nitro wear fast tires.

so tex where did they all go to buy there next tires.
icon10.gif

no bfg tires allowed on any of my trucks of any sort=crap

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's all I'll use on my truck in the winter.

Summer gets different ones.

KawisakiRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran Cooper Discovery STT's for 90000km for my first set and they seemed really good, didn't tow a lot with them but lots of gravel/very muddy roads and they where awesome. Surprisingly good in the winter also and cheaper than the toyo's or Nitto.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is another tire I was looking at. The fierce attitude in a 35. They only come in a d rating but guys havent seem to have any issue with that. But I wonder how they are on ice??

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most of the guys I sold them too that ran them this winter said way better than toyos on ice.

Been doing most of a fleet with them now. They were all toyos before.

Also u have to look at the tires capacity in lbs. Just cause its a 8 ply some have just as much as 10 ply tires.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Agree with Tex, you need to look at the weight ratings on the tire, not just D or E rating. We run the Toyo MT on all our field trucks as we have never found a tire with a higher weight rating approx 3700# and all our trucks are used for pulling and have to scale. We also have never had a flat in the past 4 years, we run them year round, have tried many others but have never found one as good as the Toyo for what we do.

Saying that...if you are over 80% hiway, or in town, I likely wouldnt reccomend them as there are better, cheaper, and quieter options out there.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you may not like a d rated i'd stick with e rated, better in the long run, safety, load capacity, less tire punctures etc.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also unless Ur hauling lots all the time even on a Dsl truck u should only run 50-60 lbs air psi. Any more is just wearing Ur tires out.

This b/s with tire sensors and 60-70 front and 70 to 80 back unloaded is horse chit. Friggin stupid.

So realy a 8 ply and 65 psi max is best of both worlds

I've had 8 and 10 and with either have had flats.

Top Bottom