toyo mt vs goodyear duratrac

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was thinking of getting the bfg a/t after dealing with the duratracs and how fast they wore out. Anyone run the goodyear silent armour? Might get these for a year round tire....

Have a set of the silent armour tires on my truck. They came with the truck, I have put about 35k on them, and one is seperated. The tread is down to ~50% as well. Was offered a pro rated deal for a replacement on the seperating tire. I will not be running these tires again.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was a recall on the silent armours not long ago. you might get a new set for free. Here is one of my duratracs after 85,000km its now my spare. IMG-20120516-00124.jpg

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was a recall on the silent armours not long ago. you might get a new set for free. Here is one of my duratracs after 85,000km its now my spare.

Dang, the local dealer here didn't know anything about that. I'll send a message straight to good-year I suppose.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The other goodyears from a few years ago had lots with premature seporations with over 1/2 the tread left.
Seems the same issues with the silent armours now

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just mounted 2 more sets of 37x13.5R17 Toyo M/T's with no weights at all. One on my personal truck and one on a good customer's truck...both are running smooth as silk:)

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Must have a soft or hard azz. Depending on how ya look at it.

Mabe u should throw a bag of mag balance to fix it right.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You certainly do have a problem with Toyo and Goodyear, not the most objective opinions I have read.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You certainly do have a problem with Toyo and Goodyear, not the most objective opinions I have read.

no i like the dura tracs............. just the other goodyears sucks ..... wranglers [ ats , rts, silents , ect.. ] have seen way too many prema seporations with them

hell i have a buddy i sold some hankook rt03 that had 70000 hard km [ burn outs and all ] that wore them down till the tire had no rubber face [ could see the cords across the flats ] and still held air .... not many tires can do that ...

just had someone get a new set of rt03's again ... is an oilfield operator ... had 100000 km and still 4/32 nds left ....

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The only AZZ around here appears to be you:D Like I said...I've had great luck with Toyo's, but I also use quality wheels that are well balanced. Toyo has the best quality control in the industry and they DON'T sell blems. They shred every tire that doesn't meet their high specifications. Maybe you need to find the real source of your problems and deal with that before you bash a quality product?? I do know one thing - Toyo and Goodyear are two of the highest priced tires out there...could that be your problem???

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no i like the dura tracs............. just the other goodyears sucks ..... wranglers [ ats , rts, silents , ect.. ] have seen way too many prema seporations with them

hell i have a buddy i sold some hankook rt03 that had 70000 hard km [ burn outs and all ] that wore them down till the tire had no rubber face [ could see the cords across the flats ] and still held air .... not many tires can do that ...

just had someone get a new set of rt03's again ... is an oilfield operator ... had 100000 km and still 4/32 nds left ....

I have ran lots of Hankooks in my life, tried them when Korean tires has the same rep as chinese, they wernt a bad tire then, but are a much better tire now. Either way my point wasnt about whether Hankook is any good, its was about your constant need to knock Toyo and Goodyear. I havnt ran Goodyears in awhile, but I can say this, other than their one vice (to hard of a compound for winter) in my opinion Toyo is hands down the best light truck tires on the market overall. Others may have one model that is better suited for a specific application, but as a whole, Toyo's quality cant be beat.

In this region in the bush, you will see about 50% Toyo, 25% Goodyear and everything else combined for the other 25%.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only AZZ around here appears to be you:D Like I said...I've had great luck with Toyo's, but I also use quality wheels that are well balanced. Toyo has the best quality control in the industry and they DON'T sell blems. They shred every tire that doesn't meet their high specifications. Maybe you need to find the real source of your problems and deal with that before you bash a quality product?? I do know one thing - Toyo and Goodyear are two of the highest priced tires out there...could that be your problem???

HRT, when you install your Toyo's, do you align the dot?

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe thats why you dont have to balance them :)

Yeah, allot of M55's in the bush, OEM sizing. Most pickups pack a fair jag, fuel, tools, parts, so they dont screw around with lifts and such for work trucks.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes we do...

Lot's of M-55's in your neck of the woods? What tires are most of the trucks using there?

Which dot ??? Yellow or red. ???

Baaaaaaaaaaaa. Dots mean dittely chit.

Sometimes the best balance is 180 away from the dot on lots of tires

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe thats why you dont have to balance them :)

Yeah, allot of M55's in the bush, OEM sizing. Most pickups pack a fair jag, fuel, tools, parts, so they dont screw around with lifts and such for work trucks.

Haha...yep...those yellow dots aren't just there for good looks :D

There's a big difference between lift kits and suspension systems...we only deal in the latter of the two. I just finished building my 2012 Dodge with a complete system...I'll start a thread about it soon...I'm sure you will be impressed with the system. We have lots of patch customers that also USE their trucks for work and get greater longevity out of their trucks with a good suspension system.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Which dot ??? Yellow or red. ???

Baaaaaaaaaaaa. Dots mean dittely chit.

Sometimes the best balance is 180 away from the dot on lots of tires

Why would the 180 be the best balance on lots of applications? Yes...this is a skill testing question and has nothing to do with how you described it:D

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I can tell u don't even check balance on a machine. Nice shop u have.

If u spin a tire on a balancer and it wants say 5 ounces on one side and 6 on the other ( way too much for this shop ).
Then if u debead it and rotate the tire on the rim it will either go down or up. If it goes up then u debead it again and try 1/4 more and check again......
If it goes up either u live with 5 and 6 or get a new tire that's balance it self better.
Any brand make or model.

Some new rims are even out just them alone.

Been done this way for years at tons of high quality shops.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I can tell u don't even check balance on a machine. Nice shop u have.

If u spin a tire on a balancer and it wants say 5 ounces on one side and 6 on the other ( way too much for this shop ).
Then if u debead it and rotate the tire on the rim it will either go down or up. If it goes up then u debead it again and try 1/4 more and check again......
If it goes up either u live with 5 and 6 or get a new tire that's balance it self better.
Any brand make or model.

Some new rims are even out just them alone.

Been done this way for years at tons of high quality shops.

BAHAHAHA...I honestly don't mount my own tires...I just sell them, but the shop that does mount for me has all the bells and whistles and does certain things under my advisement and even learns a thing or two from the guy with the "nice shop"...so NO need to put down my shop. Although it does seem to be in your character to be ARROGANT and BASH:D You still never answered my original question?? And the answer doesn't lie in the fact of whether or not a shop has a rotational balancer (that isn't even designed to have the weight of a 37" tire/rim combo on it). Anytime you want to come down for a visit and talk about high quality and high end products and equipment...the door is always open.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BAHAHAHA...I honestly don't mount my own tires...I just sell them, but the shop that does mount for me has all the bells and whistles and does certain things under my advisement and even learns a thing or two from the guy with the "nice shop"...so NO need to put down my shop. Although it does seem to be in your character to be ARROGANT and BASH:D You still never answered my original question?? And the answer doesn't lie in the fact of whether or not a shop has a rotational balancer (that isn't even designed to have the weight of a 37" tire/rim combo on it). Anytime you want to come down for a visit and talk about high quality and high end products and equipment...the door is always open.

k well that tells it all .................. ur not even doing it ...... u see i have been doing it for 20 years ... and also run a shop , plus work in it

so that tells me u sell the rims-tires-lifts ect.... but have no idea at all ......

thanks for the laugh

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
unfortuneatly ever tire has a high and a low spot ..... yes the dots mean from the factory the tires have been spun and thats the spot to align the valve stem.... in a perfect world it would work every time .... but rims also have high and low and like i said sometimes u have to 180 or 90 deg turn the tire for the best balance ...

i do it right the first time for many things.... tire life , happy client , easy to rotate down the road cause tires stay balanced longer

Top Bottom