Tow Vehicle

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely didn't say that a half ton won't tow it. But the added stress on your half ton I'm sure takes its toll. Definitely don't need a diesel either, but it's nice not noticing the trailer. And diesel has been cheaper for a while and if you know how to turn a wrench service doesn't cost anymore. I use to tow a trailer daily for work. Now just heading to the mtns. Would I go back to a gasser? No

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
38 days on the road towing a 28 foot trailer this summer. Was sure glad i had the one ton when we had to do a hard brake and evasive maneuver when an F'n tourist turned onto highway 93 into oncoming traffic. Truck managed the trailer and we avoided something that could have been very serious. I've run close to the line in previous half tons and will never compromise on tow vehicles ever again. Just sayin'.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you as wasn't aware of this.
Thought they where 2500's
no sweat man. they have the same weight rating as a 2500, the suspension and brakes are the same. the only difference is that the 1500HD only comes in a crew cab if I remember correctly

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
38 days on the road towing a 28 foot trailer this summer. Was sure glad i had the one ton when we had to do a hard brake and evasive maneuver when an F'n tourist turned onto highway 93 into oncoming traffic. Truck managed the trailer and we avoided something that could have been very serious. I've run close to the line in previous half tons and will never compromise on tow vehicles ever again. Just sayin'.

Not everyone can afford to upgrade to a diesel truck or want one for that matter. A trailer like that is 100% fine and legal behind a half ton that is rated for the GVW of that trailer....even with 1 quad on the front. Use weight distribution hitch.....They make a world of difference.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The tongue weight on that will rise quick once quads are on the deck, will easily put you up over 1500lb, and considering most factory hitches on one tons and 3/4 tons are only rated for 1450lb with a weight distributing hitch i would not consider anything less.

A friend of mine has the identical trailer and he uses a f350 dually to pull it, he towed it once with no quads and his 6.2 f350 srw and said it was fine but would be a struggle fully loaded.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not everyone can afford to upgrade to a diesel truck or want one for that matter. A trailer like that is 100% fine and legal behind a half ton that is rated for the GVW of that trailer....even with 1 quad on the front. Use weight distribution hitch.....They make a world of difference.

It's Posdick right....never told anyone to buy a diesel. I pulled that trailer fine with the Titan and best Reese dual cam system. Was rock solid driving straight, even at 100lbs below GCVW as per scales. However, I can tell you flat out that the Titan and trailer in this situation would have had a much different outcome.

How's that new Dodge 2500 Cummins working out?

:p

Last edited:

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's because you had a Titan!!
I wouldn't know. I bought a 2500...and its mr posdick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get to work or I'll call your boss and tell him you have a thing for the new assistant.

My post states 2500!

Gotta love the edit....

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3/4 ton gasser bud u can pick up a nice used 6.0 chevy with the Allison WELL under 10G WELL UNDER (close to 5 depending how nice u want) then keep the taco for DD

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No such thing as a 6.0 l with Allison

6.0 and 4l80e and 6l90e ( 6 speed version of the 4l80e) yes

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stay away from a dodge half ton, they have low payload, unless they have air suspension (I had two). Chev 5.3 is terrible power, I'd avoid those half tons too. The F150 would likely haul that with better payload and the right engine for towing. Having said that find a nice Chev 3/4 ton with 6L, cheap to buy and will get the job done. Resell if ya don't like it.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The tow max Chev/GMC is a nice option also but more money.
6.2 which is a nice engine.

ATV Rancher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HI
I need some help we bought this trailer last weekend and my truck is too small
Trailer is 34 feet long dry tongue weight 550lbs and 5540 dry weight
I found a experienced Dodge 1500 4X4 5.7 Hemi it is priced right, I don't need anything till spring
Not sure if I should bite the bullet and buy this or wait till next year
I am not going to make any money I leave the money in the bank
My questions are will this Dodge pick up pull this trailer properly and is the Dodge pick up a good truck
We had a Dodge caravan years ago, very happy with the Toyota products
Thanks for your help and advise
A 5.7 Hemi is really low on torque when you hook it to anything. If you're on a budget, the gas GM 6.0 would be better. IMO.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really liked my 09 dodge half ton for towing. It was a bit thirsty but was pretty good. I just didn't push it to hard and didn't expect it to pull like a cummins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom