torsion keys

cey800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone tried these torsion keys to gain around 2" of ride hight. Good bad or what ever. Looking to gain a bit of hight, nothing too major. Would be using spacers for the rear coils.

Attachments

• keys.BMP
    15.3 KB · Views: 272
  • spacers 1.BMP
    23 KB · Views: 245

Landrew

Reaction score
I have tried tightening and loosening my keys (the bolts that push against them actually) and you can go up 2"+ or down 2"+ from stock. Mind you this is on a 4X4 S10 but the torsion keys also apply on other models/brands. The stock keys offer quite a bit of adjustment which is nice as you can dial in your front end to the millimeter.
Maybe try the stock ones all the way in 1st but check the alignment if you decide to stay at anything other than what the vehicle is set at right now as you don't want uneven tire wear.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keys are a pretty common way to get a little bit of height from the front end. No sense buying different ones unless your stockers are all the way maxed out, and make sure to get an alignment when you're done playing.

xtremegriz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe the ones you have pictured are a leveling kit, they lift the truck while maintaining the factory ride. I agree with ZRrrr, If you crank up the factory keys, the front end will be stiff.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i am getting a leveling kit put in my 07 Chev 1/2 ton classic tomorrow along with 285 toyo tires. I will give a report and put up some before and after pics hopfully tomorrow.

xsyourride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Done lots of these, 2 things are is you do have a bit stiffer ride and you will depending on how high you crank the bars it can bottom out sooner on the upper a arms. I've got mine set at 2.5" on the front and 1"3/4 block on the rear.You also will need a wheel alignment after the install.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe the ones you have pictured are a leveling kit, they lift the truck while maintaining the factory ride. I agree with ZRrrr, If you crank up the factory keys, the front end will be stiff.

Back when we were young and broke turning up the torsion bars was a cheap way to get a lift. That and a metal block in the leaf springs out back. Sometimes there was no room left for a proper alignment and you would eat up tires. Bounced down the road real hard. Good point made about bottoming out the front easier, forgot about that one. Also, if my memory serves me right, it seemed to put a lot of stress on the stabilizer bar bushings. Remember having to replace those on occassion.

cey800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I've been reading, is that by replacing the stock keys with the lager ones you don't have to torque them up as much. Compaired to just cranking up the stock ones.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I've been reading, is that by replacing the stock keys with the lager ones you don't have to torque them up as much. Compaired to just cranking up the stock ones.

Thats what i was told. Cranking up the stock keys puts the ball joints at an angle and they wear out faster. The bigger keys are supposed to releave some of that pressure. I am getting a BDS set up and was told that you could get 3" out of them but that puts too much pressure on the ball joints.

cey800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Decided to go with the aftermarket torsion keys and rear coil spacers after all. It was about a 2-3" increase in ride hight. The old family wagon looks a bit more like a truck. Acouple before and after pics....what do we think..

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
It Looks Good.... We've Done Lots & Lots Like That.... The Offset Torsion Rod Key Allows For The Same Ride As Before They Are Put In....but With Better Ground Clearance, And Wheel Clearance.

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
i put a two inch level kit into my 04 f-150 and it took less that two spiced rum and sevens. The alignment made my mechanic spit coffee from his nose but it rode better with the wieght distrubution. however the sag on the truck with a sled in the back was more noticible. i have a 3/4 dodge with a level kit as well. I don't like it as if you put just about anything in the box it sacks it out like a damn chevy (I'm joking please don't let the thread take off) Also get your headlights reset for the difference in hieght.

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It Looks Good.... We've Done Lots & Lots Like That.... The Offset Torsion Rod Key Allows For The Same Ride As Before They Are Put In....but With Better Ground Clearance, And Wheel Clearance.

How many hours labor to install? Can you do the alignment? Maybe I can get the 285 BFG's under my 98 Chev:D

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
i Put A Two Inch Level Kit Into My 04 F-150 And It Took Less That Two Spiced Rum And Sevens. The Alignment Made My Mechanic Spit Coffee From His Nose But It Rode Better With The Wieght Distrubution. However The Sag On The Truck With A Sled In The Back Was More Noticible. I Have A 3/4 Dodge With A Level Kit As Well. I Don't Like It As If You Put Just About Anything In The Box It Sacks It Out Like A Damn Chevy (i'm Joking Please Don't Let The Thread Take Off) Also Get Your Headlights Reset For The Difference In Hieght.

You Can Easily Put 2" Or 3" Rear Lift Blocks On The Dodges.... Makes Up For The Loads.... I Also Put Air Bags With A Compressor On Mine... Very Slick On The Fly Adjustment Of Height

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The lift and level kit i just got definatly changed the front end ride. Lifted the nose up pretty good, 285's fit perfect.

Top Bottom