Torque

RyanGSP

Reaction score
Ok so my raptor is 100% stock right now. I was wonder how do I get more Torque out of my bike? I am not interested in top speed, I would rather be able cilb and have more torque than top speed.

Ive been told there somthing one can do with the sprockets (add teeth remove teeth) but am unsure of what to do. Can any offer some insight?

ZEDNECK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey man here is a converter you should try out. im not to sure how acurate it is and this one say 02 and 03 not sure how much different they are from the 05

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Remembering back to my dirt bike days, going 1 tooth less on the front sprocket is the same as going 5 teeth more on the back sprocket.
If you want to add 5 teeth to the rear sprocket you will most likely have to get a longer chain.
If you drop 1 tooth from the front, your existing chain should fit, unless it is streatched.

insaneZ400shane

Reaction score
uncork your bike bro! full exhaust, mod the intake, re-jet, with your gearing changes it will be a torque monster! dont go too low with gearing, whats your stock gearing? i would suggest just going a tooth down in front and a tooth up in back. if you dont have an aftermarket cdi you will run the risk of always being on your rev limiter. but having said that you might find your torque to be where you want it by opening it up.

RyanGSP

Reaction score
I think these bikes run a 13/42 stock.

I am going to try a 12 on the front and see how I like that. I have heard some good things about the 12/40 combo so I may do that if I dont like just the front 12.

psullivan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you change the gearing it wont give you more torque. just lowering your speed and having to shift sooner/more often. more power wont make you go faster just help you get there faster. You need to do some mods( intake exhaust and all the goodies in between. Pm me if you want some ideas.

intmid8or!

Problem Child
Reaction score
have black full bore plastics on hand for the 660, wont make you go faster, but it will look good.....

Landrew

Reaction score
Technically you wont get more actual torque from the engine with gearing changes. You do however get to have the stronger part of the engines power which is found at middle -high rpms usable at lower speeds. So now you do have more torque to the wheels at lower wheel speeds.

Sort of like trying to go up a hill in a truck/car from a stop in 3rd gear - you dont have the torque in third to do it but you do in 1st gear. Changing sprockets essentially will give you the engines power at lower wheel speeds. You do have to shift more but unless you plan on going over 100km/hr all the time (which you said you dont) it is worth it. I added 2 teeth to the back and removed 1 from the front on my 400 sport quad and can almost idle up rocky hills. Definately less clutch slipping when climbing technical hills, and I can still beat my buddies medium bore utilitys in top speed.

I always throw a 12tooth on my dirt bikes front when heading to the mountains - you can crawl through bolders when geared that way.

Proper jetting helps it to run crisp at lower throttle openings which will give you more actual power/tq.

Top Bottom