To can or not to can

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't make this chit up.

I know from what I've read from Lund I can't be a good rider because I'm too new to the sport and that also in his opinion I ride a beginners sled so what I'm really unclear on is how I can sidehill and ride equally strong on both sides with the weight imbalance of a can? I mean highly tuned riders need the sled to be balanced to ride it properly yet somehow it doesn't seem to impede me? Johnny seems to be the same way. We must just be really really green and need to learn more. Hey Johnny maybe once you get this riding thing figured out you can give me some pointers. Much appreciated.

You are such a newb. You should really look at the 2018 Cats. Much more suited to your style of riding, whatever you call that style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Screw the can, full exhaust is the only way to go

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the sound of a stock can. but they are heavy and huge So can it is for this guy.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Instead of arguing a true point out of ignorance, why not try it for your self then argue the point. My suggestion is reinstall the oem muffler for a couple of rides and try it, now after you have rode the sled with the can.
But before removal of the can lets try to set the front suspension properly. Get the rear of the sled up on a couple of long 2x4 running the length of the rails for a good support. One on each side. Then slide a couple of bathroom scales under each ski's centering the spindle on the scale. You raised the rear on 2x4 to maintain the proper standing position of the sled as if it was on the floor, so its important to set the rear up the same as the scale height.
Now check the weight difference between the two scales, you can adjust the difference by adjusting the shock coils or air pressure depending on the type you have. But there is only so much you can do without having a front suspension that will be way too uneven. With a can, you won't be able to even out ski pressure but with the muffler you should be able to get it very close.
Once you get it set, ride it for a day then come back and comment.
BTW, when you set the spring tension lift the sled off the scale and support it, then lower back onto the scale.
As a couple of side notes, cheaper shocks with cam adjusters are difficult to set ski pressure because of the course cam settings. The threaded collar style is much better for fine tuning and for competition we set them with no more then a 10% variance from right to left, recreational 15%-20% imo is ok. I'ed be willing to say most sleds out there with cans are running over 25%-35% variance.
Try it, it can only do good
BTW, if i was riding a 2stroke my sled would have a THING cooker, because, just because, weight lost and sound have nothing to do why i would.
Try it and have fun doing it, you might surprise your self.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy crap. Johnny would have burned through two tanks of fuel by the time he did all that

And the Thing cooler? Come on Mike, a guy with your wealth of knowledge would run a Thing? Ask Jeff about a discussion we had about those. I think you might change your mind.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy crap. Johnny would have burned through two tanks of fuel by the time he did all that

And the Thing cooler? Come on Mike, a guy with your wealth of knowledge would run a Thing? Ask Jeff about a discussion we had about those. I think you might change your mind.

What was that, love the cooker can

Wouldn't have any other kind

sent while drinking tea's

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

is this a bad "can" Danny?
just asking, I don't know. I like the hot lunches.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put a D&D XPR riot can on my cat, it's sounds stock and now I have room for a couple of items over there, worth it for me...less stuff in the backpack

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My sled is often imbalanced by 220 pounds on one side. So no I don't notice 14 lbs.
I find it hilarious that you're calling people out for not noticing 15 lbs yet you are a cheerleader for fourstrokes that weigh 150 lbs more. Maybe you should keep all your top secret information for the BRP hillclimb team.

Last edited:

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just bought a take-off for my sled. It came with a BMP can that sounds good and is much lighter. I'm going to put the "suitcase" on for the next few rides and see how it goes. Who knows? Maybe it'll stay on!

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Until you try running the stock can you cant say it doesn't unbalance it. I notice the unbalance on the trail when sitting on the seat, and when pulling the sled to the right. The doo has a weird gyroscope effect due to the primary being high in the chassis. When i had my 09 mod with air shocks on it i had to compensate with 10 psi on the clutch side unloaded to get my sled to sit properly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This would explain why i always seemed to travel in an arc to the right. It all makes sense now. Had a heck of a time turning to the left. Thought I just wasnt an ambi-turner.

dogengine

Reaction score
So I am curious... if the sled is designed in the factory to be 'balanced' would that be with the pull start or the e start version? Im on a 2016 pro rmk e-start and with the extra weight of the battery and starter Im wondering if it is already 'imbalanced'? ... but I am new to this and I can see the heavy battery on the same side as my new lightweight can, so i am thinking maybe I am helping the balance by offsetting the battery weight at least? And as an aside my GGB trail can sounds nice, is a pretty good price, but weighs more than 1 lb more than they advertise, which is misleading and slightly irritating.

Top Bottom