To can or not to can

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cheap/easy way to lose 10# and I can have a hot lunch not a frozen sandwich that got mashed in the tunnel bag. I have heard the imbalance thing before and even though I ride a beginner sled I can sidehill equally as strong on either side.

zeke

Reaction score
My first ride this year was on an axis with stock muff. It was nice for a change. I remember having to wear ear plugs with one of my old sleds. The only reason for me to change is weight, but the sleds are that much lighter now maybe I won't. I still like to give my buddys' the pipes when they are not expecting it. In the hills it's not a big deal. There is however another bigger problem. Riding in populated areas with LOUD machines. There is nothing that drives non sledders/bikers more nuts than a loud can. I live near a motocross track and that is the main complaint from residents and they are bound and determined to close the track because of the noise. If I ride around home it's stock muffler.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$330 for a quiet can on an XM that loses 12lbs and makes way more room?
That can allowed me more room where I added a tow rope, lightweight axe and muffpot. Well worth it in my mind....

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I personally don't notice a difference in handling on my xm and I have the hps can and a ballistic battery which combined drops 25 lbs from the right hand side
the hps can sure makes dooing maintenance a lot easier than the stock can takes 20 seconds to remove or install it

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I personally don't notice a difference in handling on my xm and I have the hps can and a ballistic battery which combined drops 25 lbs from the right hand side
the hps can sure makes dooing maintenance a lot easier than the stock can takes 20 seconds to remove or install it

Tell me about your Ballistic Battery setup: how does it stand up to the cold? Which model did you buy? From who? What accessories/mods did you need to make it fit where the conventional battery went? What what accessories need to be considered for charging? What were the weight savings? Very interested in making this change: depending on price...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gopherchoker

Reaction score
Ran my XM the first year stock. Figured it was to quiet and put a jaws can on. Didn't seem to loose any power or be unbalanced but after spending the $$ I wouldn't of admitted it anyways. Rode it for two years until I rode with a buddy with the same can on the same sled. Found it to be obnoxious. So put the stock back on and lo and behold better balance and throttle response. Oh and happier riding buddies I imagine. Guess I'm turning old at the ripe age of 27!

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ran my XM the first year stock. Figured it was to quiet and put a jaws can on. Didn't seem to loose any power or be unbalanced but after spending the $$ I wouldn't of admitted it anyways. Rode it for two years until I rode with a buddy with the same can on the same sled. Found it to be obnoxious. So put the stock back on and lo and behold better balance and throttle response. Oh and happier riding buddies I imagine. Guess I'm turning old at the ripe age of 27!

Yep very true. I've been in this business for many years and not just as a rider. Long enough that i don't get excited about it anymore.
The majority of riders never get attune with their sled well enough to notice the difference, especially the off balance.

D.C

Reaction score
It's nice to hear where someone is when you can't see them, and it's is easy to tell if they are stuck or not just by sound alone.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 16 t3 is the first sled that I ran the stock can on and not only are the underhood temps lower, I find balanced when tipping it up on edge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unbalancing your sled with a can.... this is officially the dumbest thread on snowandmud and that's saying a LOT.

An earlier post of mine:
"Yep very true. I've been in this business for many years and not just as a rider. Long enough that i don't get excited about it anymore.
The majority of riders never get attune with their sled well enough to notice the difference, especially the off balance."

I would also like to know being why this is the dumbest thread being some of you are so well tuned. So, you don't think a difference of 10-15lbs ski pressure from right to left makes no difference? If you can't notice the diff. you really have not tuned into what your riding, keep riding and polish your skills eventually you will get the feel of it. Till then, go ahead bash away, your just a butchy rider anyways and still learning. LOL

For curiosity, explain how would tune your front suspension, does anyone know how to do that? LOL

Last edited:

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An earlier post of mine:
"Yep very true. I've been in this business for many years and not just as a rider. Long enough that i don't get excited about it anymore.
The majority of riders never get attune with their sled well enough to notice the difference, especially the off balance."

I would also like to know being why this is the dumbest thread being some of you are so well tuned. So, you don't think a difference of 10-15lbs ski pressure from right to left makes no difference? If you can't notice the diff. you really have not tuned into what your riding, keep riding and polish your skills eventually you will get the feel of it. Till then, go ahead bash away, your just a butchy rider anyways and still learning. LOL

For curiosity, explain how would tune your front suspension, or any of you know how to do that? LOL

Would you be interested in teaching me how to ride?

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unbalancing your sled with a can.... this is officially the dumbest thread on snowandmud and that's saying a LOT.

Maybe, just look me up before committing. Hill climb professionally for BRP 5 years, was also the teams head tunner. Give Banner a call and find out for your self.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

BTW, i'm not saying what you are saying is dumb, i just wanting an explanation on the reasoning why its dumb. So your thought is unbalance ski pressure does not effect handling, non whats so ever?
The interesting thing is you as a rider adapt to unbalances, nature of being human. I will give you that.

D.C

Reaction score
I agree that radios should be used within your group, but sometimes there are other people on the mountain you cannot keep tabs on. That is the situation I am referring to there bud.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A can thread just turned into "teach me how to ride" and "back in the day when I used to be pro". S&M never disappoints

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't make this chit up.

I know from what I've read from Lund I can't be a good rider because I'm too new to the sport and that also in his opinion I ride a beginners sled so what I'm really unclear on is how I can sidehill and ride equally strong on both sides with the weight imbalance of a can? I mean highly tuned riders need the sled to be balanced to ride it properly yet somehow it doesn't seem to impede me? Johnny seems to be the same way. We must just be really really green and need to learn more. Hey Johnny maybe once you get this riding thing figured out you can give me some pointers. Much appreciated.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree that radios should be used within your group, but sometimes there are other people on the mountain you cannot keep tabs on. That is the situation I am referring to there bud.

Nothing sure why you need to keep tabs on others not in your group but what ever floats your boat.

Top Bottom