To can or not to can

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is only my view and opinion based on my years of experience. I know the majority will not agree with this view but i figured i would put it out there for those who wish to chew on it.

I found very little use for them, the only way i would replace a stock muffler for a can would be for the purpose of the cooker and no other reason, example "thing can" from sled shed.
There is no real power gain from a can and the only thing one does gain is more noise, so it might sound like more power and that's about it. In many cases can actually reduce power as the sled is tuned to its factory muffler.
Here is another reason i don't care for cans, it creates an unbalance in ski pressure from left to right sides. Snowmobiles are already slightly heavier on the left side because of the offset of clutches removing the muffler amplifies the imbalance from right to left or left to right.
So whats the benefit to a can other then it cost you $$$ to buy it??
Well its a weight saver, as much as 10lbs on some models and that is the attraction and i understand that from most.
Food for thoughts if your considering a can.

FYI, my wife insisted in a can a few years back for her sled, so i put one on, i finally removed it with out telling her and she rode her sled last year with the stock muffler. She realize i had removed it the first time out and asked why. After riding with the stock muffler most of that season i said i'll put the can back on, she told me not too, the sled works better, handles better. Just some insight and 2cents worth.
She did say it didn't sound as cool though but not bad once your out riding.

Last edited:

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have to agree on the most part. i ran my xp with stock can,3 other xp had aftermarket can in our group,did those sleds perform better,no.only real difference is people think they gain more power due to sound imo. yes there is weight loss but i would rather the sled being quieter than the little gain from weight loss.the manafactor does alot of testing to get the exhaust correct for the engine in all ranges of rpm and altitude. i like muff pot food and always have found a spot to install muff pot on factory exhaust.when a person gets stuck or stops for a break and another person drives by them with skis in the air the aftermarket can is extremely loud,factory can is bearable. maybe it comes with age but when i was young the lighter exhaust and sound was nice,now i would rather be factory exhaust and quite.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An aftermarket can on a cat Gives you more room on that side for a cooker can, and to put a spare belt as well, i hate obnoxious cans, the speedwerx can i have is as quiet as stock and saves 10 lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a stainless MBRP trail can on my Axys. No louder than stock at idle and only slightly louder at WOT. Just a nicer tone all around but not annoying. I do live in a suburb after all.

Buddy has the mountain GGB on his pro rmk...... Obnoxious.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree, stock is better for non racing applications. Racing is a different animal.
I see lots of riders who could shed 20+lbs off the waistline but would rather spend 10k on carbon parts and still can't walk a set of stairs without being out of breath.

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a jaws and my brother has an mbrp both sound wild but the jaws has more zing to it

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Aftermarket Cans are helpful for locating people who are riding and haven't answered their radio.

I like stock though. The OEM could focus on making a lighter can though. The Polaris kidney bean wasn't as bad as the Doo suitcase.

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a stainless MBRP trail can on my Axys. No louder than stock at idle and only slightly louder at WOT. Just a nicer tone all around but not annoying. I do live in a suburb after all.

Buddy has the mountain GGB on his pro rmk...... Obnoxious.

I just went from stock to the GGB mountain can on my pro, ya it's a little too loud. It also was causing the sled to backfire and it was "putting" at various rpm just going up the trail, I had to run it in ethanol mode until the can had finished breaking in. Which is weird cause I've never had to break in a can. I have it so I'll run it but if I could I'd just go back to stock, I can still run my cooker with the stock can. On another note I love the people that spend $350 on a can to save 10lbs when they could lose 10lbs themselves for free

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was going through tech with my '01 MXZ 800 for the drag races they used to do up here, Ralph from Split Second was doing the inspections. he opened my hood and saw I had V-Force reeds and said I had to go to improved stock, then he says "oh, you have a can...you can run in stock 800". that dude knows his sh!t, so after tech I took it off and put the muffler back on before the races started and cleaned house. I know, I know...cheating bastard :D

but I didn't learn my lesson. when I got my '08 XP I had the MBRP can long before the sled came in. I was fortunate enough to have a good relationship with my dealer and he let me uncrate and PDI my sled in their shop after hours. it never even ran with the stock muffler (unless they fired it up in the factory). ran the MBRP until I got a Sled Shed cooker can and ran that until something came apart inside and it was making a terrible rattling noise. took it off to cut it apart and put the stock suitcase on to ride in the meantime. what a difference! the throttle response was immediately noticeable, and it was a totally different sled in varying throttle positions in situations such as picking your way through tight tree lines.

I miss the cooker can, but love the performance of the stock muffler. dunno if things have changed, but it made up my mind on cans right there.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I stick to stock because I like quieter in addition to being lazy and cheap (you figure the order). Kind of nice to see that I may not be giving up too much. Not likely to lose much weight as I enjoy good beer and food.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I like hot/warm food out on the hill and I am too lazy to build a fire and don't really like to go to the cabin long enough to get the BBQ going. Frozen sammich doesn't cut it. The next best thing is theThing cooker can.

I'm not that concerned with the added noise at WOT of theThing, the weight loss isn't a big deal for me, and theThing has not thrown a code or skipped a beat on any of our machines (the last 7 sleds at least).

Mmmmmmmm..............hot garlic shrimp or lemon zest and bacon scallops are just awesome.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the thing cooker in both my axsy (which is for sale) and my departed 2015 t3 not to loud and very well set up for the cooker did not notice a handling difference in the t3 and 80 per cent of of the riding was done with the stock can.

blubbles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
While I know that it probably doesn't help performance, I do like having a can for the sound. When we were at Frisby earlier this year riding in the caribou closure (before Jan don't get all excited) it was pretty nice to be able to hear if another sled was making a run up towards the ridge from the top. Had to be really careful when a few of the stockers in our group were coming up as you seriously couldn't hear them with a helmet on. Loud Pipes Save Lives as the Harley folk have always said.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I seem to recall AreWeThereYet had a bunch of shrimp done up in his can when we were out in the Kakwa last season. Looked pretty tasty. You guys must be the Gourmets on the Go. I am pretty content with bringing a bag of food which doesn't seem to freeze in my tunnel bag.

I like hot/warm food out on the hill and I am too lazy to build a fire and don't really like to go to the cabin long enough to get the BBQ going. Frozen sammich doesn't cut it. The next best thing is theThing cooker can.

I'm not that concerned with the added noise at WOT of theThing, the weight loss isn't a big deal for me, and theThing has not thrown a code or skipped a beat on any of our machines (the last 7 sleds at least).

Mmmmmmmm..............hot garlic shrimp or lemon zest and bacon scallops are just awesome.

MXOldtimer

Reaction score
I don't often post here unlike my other passions (ATV and DS moto's) but here goes. Been at this silly sport since around the mid 60's when an Elan twin was the hot setup. fast forward to 2010 and a new 800R. Ran OK with the stock muffler but much better with MBRP quiet can. Fast forward to 2017 and I'm still riding that same sled with a crapload of K's on it. And the stock muffler is back, works noticeably better than the can. WTH? Difference is I took old faithful into a certain sled shop in Spruce Grove for a clutching upgrade and voila, the stuff they put into the drive train must allow the motor to pull in it's sweet spot with the stock suitcase. Weight? Ftttt, go on a diet. Noise? I live on a lake west of Edmonton and really wish more of us would go back to stock. Oh yes and I don't have to wear hearing protection for the 200K days anymore.

Will this change anybodies mind? Nah I was younger once as well and LOVED the sound of a well tuned high perf 2 smoke either in a sled or bike. Sigh, how times have changed. All 3 of my grandchildren have XM's with cans. Working on it.

SwampRatt

Reaction score
Last 3 sleds have all had race cans, of different makes, all obnoxious and wicked sounding! Bought a new sled this year with full intentions of throwing a can on it, just waiting to decide on which one. Keep riding and deciding, riding and deciding, repeat. Huh, this stock can has kind of a nice tone to it. Damn this gray/bald head staring at me in the mirror!

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unbalancing your sled with a can.... this is officially the dumbest thread on snowandmud and that's saying a LOT.

Yeah but the Rev G4 focused on having "extreme mass centralization", left to right, and it is superior so it must be important.

So sad all those guys putting cans on their G4 and ruining all that balance.

Top Bottom