Tires for Sportsman XP 550

SSHudson

Reaction score
I'm looking at tires for my Sportsman XP 550, and really like the ITP XTR, but have heard they have sidewall puncture issues. Can anyone relay their experience with the tires and/or suggest a better tire. I need to stay with a 14" rim.

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at tires for my Sportsman XP 550, and really like the ITP XTR, but have heard they have sidewall puncture issues. Can anyone relay their experience with the tires and/or suggest a better tire. I need to stay with a 14" rim.

I have had the ITP XTR's on 2 different quads now and they where a very good tire, between the 2 machines i put about 4500km on them in all conditions. I found that on hard pack higher speeds(even after balancing) they would seem to bounce & hop a little, on the trail they were very nice, good in mud and some snow. But when the snow got deeper i had a stock Honda go where i could not, they just could not get traction. I did hear from others that flats & punctures are common, but i had no problems.
I have the polaris 850 XP and did tons of research on tires, if you want the best all around tire hands down, get the Bighorn Maxxis tire, plain & simple the best tire i have ever had period. I am finding myself very surprised at how much the 850 and the Bighorns will pull me thru when i thought for sure i'd be winching, and everyone says they wear like they are made out of iron and resist punture. If you want good all around and great in the mud go for the Zilla by Maxxis (do not confuse this with the mudzilla). If you go for the Bighorn get the 26" as they measure more like 26.5 or 27", but if you go for the Zilla's get the 28" as they measure out smaller.
Good luck in your shopping.
P.S. if you go wider than stock on the rear you will need to get spacers to clear the rear sway bar, or do the sway bar mod.

SSHudson

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I have been doing a fair bit of research on them as well and looked at both the Zilla and Bighorn. Although I still like the XTR, I may go to the Zilla because of the good reviews. Others have recommended the Bighorn, but they look more like a trail tire than a mud tire. Not that I will be in mud all the time, I just don't want to be stuck in a hole and need to get a buddy to pull me out. I'd never hear the end of it...

Question: you said I'd need spacers for the wider tires. My choices for the Zilla's are 26-11-14 and 27-12-14 and 28-11-14 for the rear. Will I need the spacers with the 12" wide tires? Also, will the 12" tires fit on the stock XP rims? Lastly, will the 28" diameter cause any problems for clearances / power on the 550's?

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I have been doing a fair bit of research on them as well and looked at both the Zilla and Bighorn. Although I still like the XTR, I may go to the Zilla because of the good reviews. Others have recommended the Bighorn, but they look more like a trail tire than a mud tire. Not that I will be in mud all the time, I just don't want to be stuck in a hole and need to get a buddy to pull me out. I'd never hear the end of it...

Question: you said I'd need spacers for the wider tires. My choices for the Zilla's are 26-11-14 and 27-12-14 and 28-11-14 for the rear. Will I need the spacers with the 12" wide tires? Also, will the 12" tires fit on the stock XP rims? Lastly, will the 28" diameter cause any problems for clearances / power on the 550's?

On the XP's anything 11" wide or wider need spacers or the sway bar mod, (i have heard that the 28x11x14" Zilla's fit without spacers, but not sure). For the 550 i'm not sure if they will rob too much power or not, but do know it will not have clearance issues. The 28" Zilla's measure closer to 27" or so. I can't say for sure, but think the 12" wide would fit on the stock rims.
Yes the Bighorn is more of a trail (all around tire) but really surprises you to what it will pull you through, i am truly impressed and i'm used to the XTR ITP's. The Zilla's will be better in mud however.
For more info log onto highlifter.com forum site and go to the tire section, those folks are very informed.

Top Bottom