Tires for snow?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
750 of them in 4 tires... expensive but now I have studs that will stay sharp and never come out and last me 5 years or more...

$750 ? you made of money. i picked up a thousand studs at the shop for $99/ box. used 1250 3 per lug. should have enough left over for replacing worn out ones for a while. i had a few boxes left over from bike riding in the early 80's, fyi don't put 3/4 inch studs in stock tires. wonder how much slime it will take to seal the holes? lol

i have a box of 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch studs if anyone is looking for some, 250studs in a box?

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
$750 ? you made of money. i picked up a thousand studs at the shop for $99/ box. used 1250 3 per lug. should have enough left over for replacing worn out ones for a while. i had a few boxes left over from bike riding in the early 80's, fyi don't put 3/4 inch studs in stock tires. wonder how much slime it will take to seal the holes? lol

i have a box of 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch studs if anyone is looking for some, 250studs in a box?

Pretty sure he meant 750 STUDS in 4 tires, not 750 dollars. And it's studs in tires, not in the track of his sled.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, that'll learn me for not reading the entire thread. Didn't realize we were talking ATV tires. My bad. I was wrong, and you were right. Wow! I CAN admit when I'm wrong. ;)

No big deal! Like me you probably go to new unread posts and not look at the post headings.
In relation to your post studs in a sled track work wonders on icy trails.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well you know....... we ride all the time in the winter... I have 10500 k on my bike in 3 and a half years.... if you use the cheaper studs... they get dull in no time and round off... there are lots of guys I ride with that every year there studs wear down to the point of trying to find a new hole cause the stud in the tire is there forever now.... if you look at the life span of about 7 years for the grip studs then that's 107 bucks a year and no screwing around doing new ones each year.... the cheaper ice studs are meant for ICE ONLY..... that way they stay sharp and last a bit....Trail ridding and not being on ice much and they wear down like nothing... and yes that is a dollar for each stud...

look, here is the thing... no one is made of money unless you win the lottery...lol ....but why do you need whatever you buy.... you can get along without the aftermarket pipe ..or those tires you bought... stockers would of been enough to get you from a to b.... anything you buy for your machine is really not needed but you want to do that mod... in your mind you justify the price of whatever mod you do to whatever you own.....its no different with studs.... sure if you don't ride much and the machine only gets a few miles each winter...... but if I ran normal cheap ice screws ... they would be worn out in a few months for me....

this is my 4 th winter actually now on these studs.... still sharp like hell and look brand new still.... not a single one ripped out yet,,,,, and if I want to remove them and switch to a new tire, I can do that even after years..... you all know the saying...you get what you pay for.... no different here.....

Last edited:

mxcollector

Reaction score

Carbide tips Grip Studs are way way better then Holidays or Coldkutter screws .....they are worth the extra $$$ on a long run !

I did my Kingquad 700 using 100 per tire ....works good and stay in for a long time .

They aren't for hard core ice racer but will take the abuse over gravel rd , rock and pavement road crossing very well .

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that is the thing... you are further ahead by paying the piper now and then its worry free for many many years.... like I said 107 bucks a year... and I know they will last longer then 7 years... cause mine after 4... and that's no driving slow... with a motor that revs around the 8000 rpm mark when I get on it.... with all that pow and spin you would thing the studs should be history.... not one has come out and never will unless the rubber knob ripps off too....lol

so now for my 4 winters ... my cost is down to 187 bucks a year now.. talk to me in 4 more years and I will still have them in some tire still....lol

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't see spending $1250 on ice studs, i will see how these work, but i can't see spending that much on studs and one in each tire seems a bit too few. But my experience with ice studs was 30 yrs ago. Bolts n sheet metal screws worked then

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
those other studs all work fine... all im sayin is they are made for ice only... the wear down very fast and then the sharpness is gone and 80% of the purpose they are intented for is gone too... if you leave them in long enough they get rounded off and are hard to remove if you even can... yes they work but its only a quick fix... the next year you are doing the same again... with any decent rpm ... they rip out...

I mean yea.. its a lot of money to spend but then your worry free for up to 7 - 10 year... and you can still take them out ...say after 3 years or so once you replace your tires and reuse them....sure you fork out good money but you get what you pay for.....its like that with anything you buy in life.... we all know how cheap things last like.... we all have learned lessons on buying cheap... even me.... but when it makes sense of time... don't we pay a lot more for things cause we know they will last....just sayin...no different with studs....

im not trying to sell them onto anyone.. buy what you want.... in another 7 years I will see what everyone else has spent on studs....and all that labour year after year got to be worth something.... I studded like 3 years ago now... love it when I throw the tires on the machine and they look like I just studded them that day....year after year...

Last edited:

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so is 5/8 inch ice screws to deep for big horns ?
was going to try some

I put 1000 5/8" screws in my factory Bighorns yesterday. 3/4" would probably be too long and I would have liked another 250 - 500 more to really finish them off, but for $70 off Kijiji and 2 hrs work I can't be too picky.

Last edited:

mxcollector

Reaction score
Can't see spending $1250 on ice studs, i will see how these work, but i can't see spending that much on studs and one in each tire seems a bit too few. But my experience with ice studs was 30 yrs ago. Bolts n sheet metal screws worked then

As per my trial and error over the last 3 dacade with studded tire on bikes and Quad .....100 GripStuds per tire on a 4x4 quad works better then 400 screw per tire for snow and frozen grounds.... And outlast them too!!
uploadfromtaptalk1418605411878.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1418605460699.jpg

Those bike tire are like 10 years old and still ridable ...
uploadfromtaptalk1418605655213.jpg

But if your after serious ice racing then you need those screw ...
uploadfromtaptalk1418605803763.jpg

And just to show am not pulling leg here , have been president of the club host the infamous 24 hr ice race call the Numb Bum for over 14 years here in Alberta were winter is 6 month long and my team have podium 5 time and won the over all first place in 2005 ...
uploadfromtaptalk1418606158504.jpg

Last edited:

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As per my trial and error over the last 3 dacade with studded tire on bikes and Quad .....100 GripStuds per tire on a 4x4 quad works better then 400 screw per tire for snow and frozen grounds.... And outlast them too!!
View attachment 180565View attachment 180566

Those bike tire are like 10 years old and still ridable ...
View attachment 180567

But if your after serious ice racing then you need those screw ...
View attachment 180568

And just to show am not pulling leg here , have been president of the club host the infamous 24 hr ice race call the Numb Bum for over 14 years here in Alberta were winter is 6 month long and my team have podium 5 time and won the over all first place in 2005 ...
View attachment 180569
Hey Dan how did you mount the studs into you quad tires?

mxcollector

Reaction score
Hey Dan how did you mount the studs into you quad tires?

They are Grip Stud (brand name) and screw in with a special tool .... The screw base is verry large and allow lots of abuse with out comming off and if they do it's the complete knoobie that give up (only seen that on bikes doe)

In the past , i try to shoot RoadGrip studs in with a stud gun used for car/truck tire and they do come out and don't give 1/10 the traction of the Grip Studs ....
uploadfromtaptalk1418746830571.jpg

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So do you have to drill a hole in the tire still or can you just screw the stud in?

Top Bottom