Thumbs Up for ABS

tundra twin track

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got caught in a avy last spring ,dropped into bowl on NW aspect was down about 100' when entire slope turned to cottage cheese.Pulled the trigger on the bag and hammered the throttle,was confident with speed that I ride threw it to the bottom.But a 100' down slope a 3' wave boiled up in like 1 sec. it appeared that quick.Was full throttle at this point when I impacted the wave got my face slammed into the bars and blacked out.My partners on the ridge said me and the sled flew 30' down the slope when at that point I was thrown in front of the slide and the sled blew right threw every thing and ended up upright down on flat terrain.When I come to,my legs were sucked under the slide.The wall of the toe of the slide pushed on the bags and pushed me down the slope till it stopped,it felt like it was pulling my bibs off.At that point 2 guys on the ridge were going to drop over to help me,one fellow told every body not to move as they could see the orange bags 1000' below and could see I was not buried.I was able to free myself got on my sled and climbed out where it had already slid and joined my partners on the ridge,the slide was 900' wide and ran for 800'.That was my 4th winter wearing the ABS pack and my advice to anybody wearing a pack if you think your trouble pull it,then try to ride out of it.First big slide to be involved with in 22 years riding the high country.I hope more sledders will start wearing airbags,when your buried you have just put your life in your riding partners hands.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got caught in a avy last spring ,dropped into bowl on NW aspect was down about 100' when entire slope turned to cottage cheese.Pulled the trigger on the bag and hammered the throttle,was confident with speed that I ride threw it to the bottom.But a 100' down slope a 3' wave boiled up in like 1 sec. it appeared that quick.Was full throttle at this point when I impacted the wave got my face slammed into the bars and blacked out.My partners on the ridge said me and the sled flew 30' down the slope when at that point I was thrown in front of the slide and the sled blew right threw every thing and ended up upright down on flat terrain.When I come to,my legs were sucked under the slide.The wall of the toe of the slide pushed on the bags and pushed me down the slope till it stopped,it felt like it was pulling my bibs off.At that point 2 guys on the ridge were going to drop over to help me,one fellow told every body not to move as they could see the orange bags 1000' below and could see I was not buried.I was able to free myself got on my sled and climbed out where it had already slid and joined my partners on the ridge,the slide was 900' wide and ran for 800'.That was my 4th winter wearing the ABS pack and my advice to anybody wearing a pack if you think your trouble pull it,then try to ride out of it.First big slide to be involved with in 22 years riding the high country.I hope more sledders will start wearing airbags,when your buried you have just put your life in your riding partners hands.
Glad to hear they work so good, I believe 9 out of 9 riders in our group this weekend have bags and 7 have the avy course+ first aid training. Need to be ready when things go bad.

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heading out next week for a ride,but planning to have a bag for the end of Jan at MM '09 ride. I think I'm worth a grand. Everyone who thinks other wise bite me, Oh ya Merry Christmas
Nytroman

tohigh

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive had mine for 3 years never pulled it yet, but feel good having it on my back

GRD

Reaction score

Great story and great to here you came out the winner! Thanks for sharing!

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought one last year hope i don't have to use it. thanks for posting your story

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Second year with mine,have not opened it other than the test when you buy it,On a lighter side Ron tested his in the hotel at Mcbride,never laughed so hard in my life.Works good ron LOL!
catmando!

W

woodies

bhwaha ron got his angel wings!i'm guiltly of pizzing around and pulling the handle on mine but didn't have the bottle in which was even worse as i had to send it in for inspection plus new trigger!!!note to all peeps, leave bottle in and remove trigger at end of day!

Sparx

Reaction score
Is it really that important to weigh your bottle before each trip? I just got my bag and test fired it, alot slower than I expected which is good to know before hand with the test fire! If you unhook your bottle does it start to relieve and loose it's pressure every time you disconnect? Or should you really trust that it's full every time you go riding with it connected and the trigger just removed?

Good thread, and good to hear it saved another life!

tundra twin track

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can remove and install the cannister with out looseing any product,The small gold colored cap in the end of the cannister has to be punctured to release product unless their is a leak.I usually weigh my cannister before each trip on gram scale and inspect O ring on cannister.

Have a safe WINTER!

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Better yet, don't put yourself in danger where you would need an air pack.:twocents:

Anyone that has taken the avalanche training course knows that really is the best advice. If you are in an avalanche you have already made a critical mistake.

I am always surprised at the number of guys that ride with beacons but do not really know how to use them and have not practiced lately. If you ride with the same group of guys you really need to practice searching with those guys to get good at search and rescue as a team.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back to the thread - I ride with an ABS bag and have only pulled the trigger to test. I do not consider it a security anymore than the shovel, probe and beacon - just one more piece of safety equipment that sould hopefully never be used.

tundra twin track

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Avoiding avalanche terrain is sure bet you will never encounter them,riding the prairie's will do that for you.I have security in the safety gear I wear in the mountains to the same degree as wearing a seat belt in a vehicle or life jacket in a boat,it's not about making yourself bullet proof it's about stacking the deck in your favour when a mistake is made.

Have a safe WINTER!

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Avoiding avalanche terrain is sure bet you will never encounter them,riding the prairie's will do that for you.I have security in the safety gear I wear in the mountains to the same degree as wearing a seat belt in a vehicle or life jacket in a boat,it's not about making yourself bullet proof it's about stacking the deck in your favour when a mistake is made.

Have a safe WINTER!

I am curious with the slide you were in - were there any indications that the slope was unstable. If so - what and have you taken an avy course either before or after. Great recount of the events and love that sled you built in other thread Cheers Al

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.valemountvacationrental.com

Have a safe WINTER!

Could not agree more 'when a mistake is made'...the minute we head for the hills mine is packed and loaded...will never sled on the big rocks with out it!!! That being said no gear gives you the right to make bad decisions or ignore the information available to us on these forums on on the CAC site.

Top Bottom