To the Castlegar rider on the CWRT who caused criminal damage.......

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He didn't wheelie onto the bumper, he just simply pushed his tire against it. Doesn't look like it takes much effort though, probably leaning forward on it as well I'd guess. Pretty clear it can be done though, based on width and tread pattern marks on other areas of the bumper as well. Here's a pic of one of the better defined marks, the bumper is scarred up across the bottom. The road is rough and they usually don't go over 40 km/hr during busy season, so its not like he tried it at speed. Unfortunately I wasn't there so I don't know how hard he bumped them, for how long etc, so hard for me to speculate. They will pay out of pocket for the repair since the deductible is almost as much, and so it would really be nice to find the individual responsible. View attachment 240209

A very heavy brake check was in order at that point.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He didn't wheelie onto the bumper, he just simply pushed his tire against it. Doesn't look like it takes much effort though, probably leaning forward on it as well I'd guess. Pretty clear it can be done though, based on width and tread pattern marks on other areas of the bumper as well. Here's a pic of one of the better defined marks, the bumper is scarred up across the bottom. The road is rough and they usually don't go over 40 km/hr during busy season, so its not like he tried it at speed. Unfortunately I wasn't there so I don't know how hard he bumped them, for how long etc, so hard for me to speculate. They will pay out of pocket for the repair since the deductible is almost as much, and so it would really be nice to find the individual responsible. View attachment 240209
Pretty crazy, must apologize as I thought they were in a SxS.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you stand up to angry people you sometimes get a angry response. The question we should ask ourselves is "What would I have done?"

A.. Keep to myself and let this jackass speed on by?
B. Do what he did and accept the response and damage?
C. Do what he did but up the ante and slam on the brakes when he was kissing the bumper?

None of these seem to be a win and could even result in a worse outcome. Imagine crashing the guy by slamming on the brakes and then he comes back with a tire iron?

It is tough "NOT" to stand up to people when you are in the right. This is something we can learn but it sure doesn't feel natural.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you stand up to angry people you sometimes get a angry response. The question we should ask ourselves is "What would I have done?"

C. Do what he did but up the ante and slam on the brakes when he was kissing the bumper?

None of these seem to be a win and could even result in a worse outcome. Imagine crashing the guy by slamming on the brakes and then he comes back with a tire iron?

It is tough "NOT" to stand up to people when you are in the right. This is something we can learn but it sure doesn't feel natural.
Very true, fight or flight always comes to play and most times neither has a positive outcome. Very hard not to defend yourself though and I have always taught my kids to punch the bully in the nose.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yep, 100% agree. The only thing I will say is that sometimes angry people usually react with an angry response to all these situations, and 99 times out of 100, it will only result in hurt feelings or scarred bumpers. There will be that 1 time though, when their angry response provokes the wrong person, and they will suffer the consequences. I know the instinct for most of us would be slam on the brakes and watch this douche go over the bars, but its pretty serious consequence for the rider if that happens, I wouldn't be worried about the tire iron though. Most of the downhill side is basically a 50-60 ft drop off and / or cliff over the old railway rock walls, so even at slower speeds an inadvertent dismount in the wrong direction could be serious or fatal for a rider. my dad was probably thinking it, and I know my mom would have said don't hit the brakes, for which I'm grateful, because it only takes a split second for that reaction to cause irreparable damage or harm to someone. I've always maintained that a lethal threat = lethal response, but I would never want to see someone go to jail for vehicular manslaughter over something this trivial.

Top Bottom