Know before you go!!

git r done

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As the season continues and the snow really starts moving I hope people are really paying attention out there!! I was minutes away from being buried if that 10 days ago in Blue River. I'm a 20 year old kid, I've been mountain riding for 9 years this winter, I have avy training.... I ride trees, avoid the typical wide open nasty, slide prone slopes. Despite this, we were below one of these slopes that day. It was a risk that we took to push on deeper into the area. We knew conditions were escalated for avy activity that day. We rode over one that came over the trail on the way in. We stopped and took that into account. I was riding with two of my close friends that day, there was also at least 8 other friends of mine up there as well. They were within sight from us and they were riding as a group. Around 2:30 in the afternoon I was having sled troubles. So I helped my buddy get unstuck and at this point we were all together. After this I took off, heading towards the open face on my way out of the area towards the other group. As I did this I had to turn my back to the face and go down through a couple terrain traps. I got in the clear and by the other group, and looked up and seen it coming down. At this point I reached the other group and asked them if everyone was accounted for. They weren't sure.... Minutes later my one buddy comes flying over to me (no helmet on) in panick mode so to speak. At this time the third member of my riding party has his beacon out and is searching for me.(up top) this slide was at least 800 meters wide, and came down funnelling into many different terrain traps. I'm willing to say filling up a couple 20 foot holes and much much deeper spots at the bottom. It came down with insane speed and force, enough to go up and over another hill. After seeing this and noticing how un organized and chaotic this event was I was pretty dissapointed. Not in my friends but just in the fact that I had let my guard down for a breif period of time. Looking back I should have been more clear where I was going. Nobody had eyes on me when I was leaving etc. This also made me realize why I hate riding in big groups.... It's to hard to keep track of everyone. Unless all riders are very experienced etc it's a struggle. Knowing how Myself and my closest riding buddies pick terrain is usually a comfort for me. Tho this event makes you re-evaluate that. Timing is everything out there and being knowledgeable and prepared is paramount!! After this following weekend and hearing about the fatalities in McBride it made me realize how lucky we had gotten that day. My sympathy goes out to all of the friends and family's of the victims!! Ride safe folks

Top Bottom