Throttle stuck open = not cool at all.

ZakAttack

Reaction score
So I got off work early today, decided to take out my sled for a quick bag around the neighborhood. (98 Summit 670X Just bought it a month and a half ago, brand new top and bottom end and I had just had it in at Centre Point performance getting it ready for the season and everything checked over... cost $500)

So I go to start it, and it doesn't seem to keep idling, I was having to play with the primer a bit (which i usually have to for maybe 20 seconds) and instead of idling nicely, she went straight to 9G's and took off (Good thing the tether cord was just hanging there... not) and managed to ram into a giant tree and knocked it over.

Hit square in the centre of the sled. took out the little bumper/handle at the front. Hood is ok, but there is part of the frame that is bent slightly that seems to hold the shape of the front (very thin metal..)

So, besides this pissing me off big time, I need to fix it.
Anyone have one of those little front bumper/handles for sale?

Also any idea's on why throttle is stuck open? is it the float being stuck? I've only had it out twice since it got supposed tune up, so I'm going to call and bitch tomorrow...

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
the throttle cable is not connected to floats, the cable is attached to the slide, i bet there is a 2 into 1 connector that has been pulled apart or its just not lubed. a graphite lube and a strong thumb will help. otherwise perhaps a scuffed or damaged bore on the carb

ZakAttack

Reaction score
Yes there is a 2 into 1 connector half way down, I checked the action, and it seems to be fully extending and retracting properly all the way down to where it pivots... but it still wants to head for the hills...without me

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
turn the idle screws down all the way, and try again, they are the small screws on the side of the carbs, as for the idleing issue its the idle jet in the carbs

ZakAttack

Reaction score
I'll check it out.. seems odd that would happen when it was working fine just a couple days prior?

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
oh then tap the carbs or take the covers off and check to see if the needles pulled out of the jet. thats your problem

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bet the reason your throttle stuck open is because there is frozen water in the cable close to the handle bars.

You will need to get it thawed out then lube it with some WD 40 to displace the water

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
WD40 is not a lubricant.. rather a water displacer.. and it attracts lots of dust and dirt.. do not use it..

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ooops my bad. yes WD40 will attract dust and dirt. I was making the point to use WD40 to displace the moisture from the cable.

Grinny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Are your bars extended or do you you have a left hand throttle kit? If so, check your extensions. I've had a close call with mine, but luckily I tether the dess to my jacket to avoid any major disasters.

Last edited:

Broz

Reaction score
How high is it reving? If for some reason it has gone lean it will rev up. Or are you sure the throttle is indeed open?

Jeff

ZakAttack

Reaction score
Well it continues to do it, I had no time today to check it out. I don't think it's the cable or the lever, because it fully retracts and has full movement where it connects to the Carb...
Yes there is extensions but no left throttle... i will check that out tomorrow.
And it revs to redline... buried the needle...

ForeverRMK!

Reaction score
U probabaly got ice build up in your carbs around the slides, the loose snow we got sucks in the airbox turns to water in your carbs then freezes over night.... Always make sure your slides move freely when u pump the throttle before starting your machine.. Even if one slide is stuck up the machine will take off on it's own seen it happen to a buddy.. Just unscrew the top of your carb and u can check for moisture, if u can't pull the slide out then warm the carb up with a heat gun and pull it out, wipe it out and put it back together... Hope this helps u out!! Bumpers are cheap could of been alot worse..

Broz

Reaction score
And it revs to redline... buried the needle...

Then I am with "Forever RMK" ice or something holding a slide open at least part way. If it is water (ice) I would be for pulling the carbs and drying or blowing them completely out too in a warm envirement. If that water gets to the bottom of the bowl and freezes it could restrict a jet and cause a melted piston. Better safe than sorry.

Keep us posted.

Jeff

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sled normally has coil springs from a Honda Civic in the carbs. It's pretty common to cut the coils to lighten the pull. I'd check to make sure someone didn't go snip happy with the side cutters while you are checking things out.

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sled normally has coil springs from a Honda Civic in the carbs. It's pretty common to cut the coils to lighten the pull. I'd check to make sure someone didn't go snip happy with the side cutters while you are checking things out.

x100

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not on a sled but on a bike I head a one of my want to be tecs put the slide in backwards looked out the back of the shop and there he goes flat out down the road lol (not funny at the time)

ZakAttack

Reaction score
Okay.. had it in garage today and opened up carbs. lots of water inside them and in the airbox, both filters were soaked. Dryed and cleaned out carbs (springs did not seemed chopped down at all).
Runs great. Hammered out the frame half assed now I just have to wait for bumper to arrive.
My question is... does anyone else have problems with getting water inside the carbs? where the air box connects to the carbs seems pretty sketchy... like water could get in easy? and only 1 very thing air filter??
Any suggestions??

Top Bottom