This years dyno HP numbers.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Curious cause I was trying to YouTube it, but are dynos ran off the track, or direct off the clutch? Because I would think that would make a huge difference.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm curious. who provided this sled for jim at dynotech?

The write-up says the sled came from a nearby dealership and the Polaris engineers responsible for the motor were present. They did 40 pulls to break it in and it gained 6 hp in the process.

Curious cause I was trying to YouTube it, but are dynos ran off the track, or direct off the clutch? Because I would think that would make a huge difference.

I don't think anyone messes with track dynos much anymore. The clutch is removed and the dyno connected directly to the crank. Jim mentions having to get a new adapter made as the 850 has a different taper than all previous Poos.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So is there a link to where dyno tech posted results.
Or is this just fake news so the Poo guys new sled is superior for sled of the year???
Can't have new motor loose to a rear suspensioned under powered 800.
3 day and two sets of numbers hmmmmm.
So does Cat get a second try too?
lol

Not looking to reliable at dynotech or whoever is posting.
First doo numbers now Poo, so much for 170+hp stock 850 unless there is a third set of numbers coming out.
Fuggin Russians meddling again.

Final dyno results will be exposed on the hill.
All three dyno graphs will need to be run side by side on the same clean white sheet of snow!

Last edited:

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or is this just fake news so the Poo guys new sled is superior for sled of the year???
Can't have new motor loose to a rear suspension ed under powered 800.

http://www.dynotechresearch.com/techarticles.asp

You have to be a paid subscriber to view the write-up. There is only one Poo 850 dyno test, posted yesterday. I don't know where the 174 number was pulled from.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Not looking to reliable.

DTR is a paid subscription, so unless someone who is a member can post it you will have to join.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The write-up says the sled came from a nearby dealership and the Polaris engineers responsible for the motor were present. They did 40 pulls to break it in and it gained 6 hp in the process.

I don't think anyone messes with track dynos much anymore. The clutch is removed and the dyno connected directly to the crank. Jim mentions having to get a new adapter made as the 850 has a different taper than all previous Poos.
I suppose. Too many variables once you get into the different track lengths. Makes sense.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Polaris had a production sled shipped to a dealer near dynotech and they delivered it to DTR. Darren Hedlund provided an ECU that was out of breakin mode. So this sled is making max hp already, Hedlund made 6 more hp leaning it down with his laptop. You need a fuel controller to lean it down. Dynojet does not have a PCV available as of now. Bullydog not available, ECU is different with this motor.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Polaris had a production sled shipped to a dealer near dynotech and they delivered it to DTR. Darren Hedlund provided an ECU that was out of breakin mode. So this sled is making max hp already, Hedlund made 6 more hp leaning it down with his laptop. You need a fuel controller to lean it down. Dynojet does not have a PCV available as of now. Bullydog not available, ECU is different with this motor.

WTF.
Is that the long way of saying one off fudged numbers or what.
Regardless let's hope this one holds together in stock form that consumers buy, unchipped with the productin ecu.
Sounds like Russian meddling

jpmez69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about the break in microchip that burns up after a certain time? Is it back? lol!

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol

Not looking to reliable at dynotech or whoever is posting.
First doo numbers now Poo, so much for 170+hp stock 850 unless there is a third set of numbers coming out.
Fuggin Russians meddling again.

Final dyno results will be exposed on the hill.
All three dyno graphs will need to be run side by side on the same clean white sheet of snow!

Just remember, the Etec 800 made 163.8 hp. Skidoo advertising even said say.

Lol

The information Jim provides is very reliable if you want to consider the numbers the be all to end all. When you actually read the reports you understand when and how they get new numbers. As with the Etec in 2011 it was given a hot tune and Doo used those numbers. But the original number still existed in the reports on the website.

The Polaris number is real, but they then start playing with things and post new numbers. As far as that goes, it’s good and anyone getting a new Patriot 850 can at least feel good knowing the Etec 850 and Patriot are comparable.

Doo issues aside, nothing else really matters until this new Polaris motor/sled has been in the hands of the consumer for a winter.

D.C

Reaction score
So what you guys are really trying to say is the new Polaris 850 will make the same power as the Etec 800?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just remember, the Etec 800 made 163.8 hp. Skidoo advertising even said say.

Lol

The information Jim provides is very reliable if you want to consider the numbers the be all to end all. When you actually read the reports you understand when and how they get new numbers. As with the Etec in 2011 it was given a hot tune and Doo used those numbers. But the original number still existed in the reports on the website.

The Polaris number is real, but they then start playing with things and post new numbers. As far as that goes, it’s good and anyone getting a new Patriot 850 can at least feel good knowing the Etec 850 and Patriot are comparable.

Doo issues aside, nothing else really matters until this new Polaris motor/sled has been in the hands of the consumer for a winter.
Fine print on the advertised Doo number was "by an independent company". Right in the brochures and advertising ads.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Um did we forget about the pos liberty engines, clamps and glue issues? Maybe the last couple years have been ok but the previous 10 to that their mechanical and engineering left a lot to be desired.

Will be interesting to see how this powerplant holds up.

If the manufacturers are going to push cutting edge technology there will be some teething pains. e.g. Polaris with Quickdrive, aluminum arms and glued components. Or Skidoo with wobbly clutch, Shot, Cat with mono rail. Some work well others don't but I am willing to gamble rather than be on a 5 year old design.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How about we change this topic to "Power to Weight" ratios?

Oh, I guess Polaris even looks better, even with stock HP.

Top Bottom