This is going to start a war on here.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am inquiring about what sled would be best for. ...

Keep this is mind. It will be doing more than just mountain riding. It will see a few trails on poker rallies. It will see some rolling field riding. It will see general riding like the Whitecourt area with good snow. It will be jumped as my son likes to fly a little. Not crazy air with flat landings. My wife will ride it when he's not.

And no I don't think I want a Polaris Assault.

My choices are Pro 800 163, XM etec 163 or 174, or AC M8000

Which one would be the best ask around but won't leave parts behind if rode like this?

Sent while wishing I was on my snowbike

Ok here is my thought haha......
If your new at riding or your skills don't go much further then a newbie. OR your female in gender the XM is your best bet. It is the easiest and weekend warriors love em.
If your alittle more advance and mechanically skilled, Polaris is THE sled of the mountian. The terrian dominating sled....hahahaha
AND cheaper to buy hehe.
But if you have skill and demand a certain amount of performance combined with leading reliability on a long term relationship with the sled. Even contemplating boost....look no further then the M8000. Its a cats meow.

PS when you grow up into a man, Yamaha, its the only option....hahahaha

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
Which ever brand you decide to go with, get a 154 or 153 (doo-cat) the 160's are too long for comfortable trail riding and jumping

I find zero difference trail riding and ditch riding on my 162" compared to my 153". Remember guys from a 153 to. 163 equals all of 3.5 inches of track on the ground. It's not going to make some extreme difference on turn radius

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let me ask this then about the new sleds. ...

Best trail machine?
Best deep powder play machine?
Best jumper?
Best climber?
Best boondocker?
Best flat lander handling in a foot of snow or 3 feet of snow?

I guess I'm looking for a sled that will be ridden mostly around Whitecourt and do everything. It won't be bagged on but ridden semi aggressive which will ramp up more as my son gets older and stronger. He also loves ripping down the whooped trails when needed at a high rate of speed. I've thought about Yamaha but to heavy when he busts off the trail and plays in the deep.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
Lol.... Now your just gunna stir the pot.... Sleds are all a personal preference. I'm a cat guys for the most part but after riding and xm I do have to say that is one impressive, nimble, and very nice machine to ride. I'm not gunna run out and buy one but I can see the draw for sure. That said I love my 12' cat. And love knowing ow solid they are (I seem to hit a lot of chit)

So between those 2 if your looking for ease of riding and a very nimble machine that's very easy to throw around the doo's have the edge IMO. If you want a sled you can torture I would go cat....

I won't voice and opinion on a poo because I've never ha the privilege of riding one

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also love my cat. I was goin to try something else until I put the 14 gearing and clutch on. It made a huge improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
I also love my cat. I was goin to try something else until I put the 14 gearing and clutch on. It made a huge improvement.

I have the clutch upgrade but not gearing.... Don't really find it to be an issue though.... I would like to narrow up the front I think and see how I like it.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
let me ask this then about the new sleds. ...

Best trail machine?
Best deep powder play machine?
Best jumper?
Best climber?
Best boondocker?
Best flat lander handling in a foot of snow or 3 feet of snow?

I guess i'm looking for a sled that will be ridden mostly around whitecourt and do everything. It won't be bagged on but ridden semi aggressive which will ramp up more as my son gets older and stronger. He also loves ripping down the whooped trails when needed at a high rate of speed. I've thought about yamaha but to heavy when he busts off the trail and plays in the deep.

Sent while wishing i was on my snowbike

ski-doo

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the clutch upgrade but not gearing.... Don't really find it to be an issue though.... I would like to narrow up the front I think and see how I like it.

I had just the clutch as well. The new gears really woke my sled up. I'm really happy with the upgrade

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not that my son or wife would appear in the BRAAP 14 or Slednecks videos (lol) but if I recall, most of the sleds in there are AC's and Polaris. Not many Skidoos. Am I right about that? And why would that be?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your new at riding or your skills don't go much further then a newbie. OR your female in gender the XM is your best bet. It is the easiest and weekend warriors love em.
If your alittle more advance and mechanically skilled, Polaris is THE sled of the mountian. The terrian dominating sled....hahahaha
AND cheaper to buy hehe.

I'm absolutely amazed that one hasn't gotten you in trouble yet! :smiliestirthepot:

Brentk

Reaction score
It's just a fawking snow-mo-wedge, which ever one your wife looks better on and the dealer you prefer...then just buy it and enjoy it!

Then go tear up the fresh snow and post some pics of the big grins!!

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Well, I'm not really sure why guys who NEVER go to the mountains, buy a 155, 154, 163, etc. Resale maybe? I suppose you need to think where most of the riding will be. My son rides a 600 MXZ sport and does fine. Talk about a maneuverable sled. A good size would be in the 144-146 range, still good for that one trip to the mountains and trails around Whitecourt. More fun to jump a smaller sled when you have better control. The guys doing backflips won't be using a 174 ;)

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
AND cheaper to buy hehe.
But if you have skill and demand a certain amount of performance combined with leading reliability on a long term relationship with the sled. Even contemplating boost....look no further then the M8000. Its a cats meow.

PS when you grow up into a man, Yamaha, its the only option....hahahaha

I chuckled to myself and shook my head as i read this!!

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I get in plenty of trouble with them hahaha.....glad the wife isn't reading any of this hehe

Its just for fun, i hope no one will take my off the wall post to seriously.

i had to say something but didn't wanna start a pissing match!!!!All good:beer:

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
buy a 162 m8000 hcr. you get the rail stiffeners that way so when your son is out coughbaggingcough your sled it might stand a chance :)
you say you want 163 ish size track, so I wont try to tell you that your wrong and that you need to go smaller. rarely do I wish for less track.

I run my 2013 m8 162 like you describe your riding, and sometimes wonder if I should have gone 153. but when I do get a chance to ride a 153 I notice little difference out side of riding in the mountains.

feel free to pick apart my post ;) some one has to support cat every now and then

Last edited:

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some good thoughts here. Thanks.

My son put in his order in yesterday lol. He doesn't even know I'm thinking about doing anything here. Tells me to sell his sled and quad for the upgrade. He wants an 800 etec with a 163. The newer the better. I keep quizzing him on brands. I ask him what's wrong with AC or Polaris. His answer was .... well how new of a sled are we talking? Ha ha. I guess if it's newer he might change his mind.

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is the Freeride 154 a good choice that fits between a pro and an xm for handling and durability?

He would be Whitecourt area riding vs mountains about 75/25 percent.

Top Bottom