This is going to start a war on here.

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am inquiring about what sled would be best for. ...

Keep this is mind. It will be doing more than just mountain riding. It will see a few trails on poker rallies. It will see some rolling field riding. It will see general riding like the Whitecourt area with good snow. It will be jumped as my son likes to fly a little. Not crazy air with flat landings. My wife will ride it when he's not.

And no I don't think I want a Polaris Assault.

My choices are Pro 800 163, XM etec 163 or 174, or AC M8000

Which one would be the best ask around but won't leave parts behind if rode like this?

Sent while wishing I was on my snowbike

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Freeride but only if it actually comes out with the black accents. That magenta(fluorescent pink) is way gay.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My choice is a summit 154. Not just cause I like the summits but if your like me and flat land ride and mountain ride the clickers on the clutch is so much nicer then changing weights.

chickenman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am inquiring about what sled would be best for. ...

Keep this is mind. It will be doing more than just mountain riding. It will see a few trails on poker rallies. It will see some rolling field riding. It will see general riding like the Whitecourt area with good snow. It will be jumped as my son likes to fly a little. Not crazy air with flat landings. My wife will ride it when he's not.

And no I don't think I want a Polaris Assault.

My choices are Pro 800 163, XM etec 163 or 174, or AC M8000

Which one would be the best ask around but won't leave parts behind if rode like this?

I'm not thinking the 163/174 are best for jumping by your boy. Look at a Freeride. It should hold together the best.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dont need the freeride unless your boy plans on going huge. Id say the summit 154 or a cat. Both great solid sleds.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go ride them all, look at the dealers available and deterime what sled is going to be the best for you and where are you going to get the best support.

Everyone is different. Just because something works for someone else doesn't mean its the sled for you. Most new sleds offer a model that is superior to the sleds a few years ago but each manufacturers design will have different traits. We ran into these fellows on the weekend who felt their Apex's were just great for boondocking around the mountain. God, I couldn't imagine how that would feel at the end of the day. But, thats what they liked.

Go on dealer demo rides, ride friends, rent a sled, get real seat time.

sent from a top secret location

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think you need to decide how important the jumping factor is. tons of guys sending it huge on stock summits so to me it sounds like this would be your best bet as the freeride is deffinetly a sacrifice when it comes to boondocking. its wider therefor takes more effort period. and again sounds to me like a 154 is your best bet aswell. lots of guys running around on 163 in the flatland though so really im sure it would be just fine. the only downside with the 163 for jumping is they are a little tail heavy on landing

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Which ever brand you decide to go with, get a 154 or 153 (doo-cat) the 160's are too long for comfortable trail riding and jumping

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just like every other, what sled/brand for me thread GO RIDE THEM. Then decide.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are looking at pretty long tracks considering use and who will be riding. I would think a 154ish would be the max. No really bad sleds IMO but am partial to the doos.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why not just Doo it and be done with it. They're good for girls.:smiliestirthepot: It's pretty slow on here this morning so let's get this war going:p

geo

Reaction score
You never said if you were buying new. If it's a new one for next season you could consider the standard RMK (trailable coolers and wheels, narrow front), with any of the tracks, 3 different quality bags (fun day stuff), clicker quality shocks (adjust for rider and riding), bar height pick, ES (if you want it), LOTS of colors and panel picks to make something different (could be some "discussions" amongst the users though lol) if you want, and get a 1000 buck piece of paper towards '16 or '17 Poo to shove in the sock drawer. All for the same price as you would pay for a plain one.
Pretty unique opportunity to get something different this season.

You could do the same with the Pro model but low snow and speeds would mean scratchers down all the time.

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I shouldn't go around and sit on or ride different sleds to suit me because it's not for me. My wife is a decent rider and my son impresses me a lot. Two different riders. when my wife rides, my son will be riding his own AC Snopro 800. My wife said if I ever but her a sled, she needs one she can jump. Lol. At the time she was on a borrowed 2 up trail sled. I know my son wants a long track XM but he doesn't look at what's best for where he rides. I should have just kept my 12 Pro for her. Then again, she did ask about a snow bike recently. ... but my son can't ride that everywhere yet. My son on my 12 Pro.

Top Bottom