Thieves in Valemount

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should have posted this last week but only finding time now. Hey guys just a heads up. Our trailer got broken into when we were at Allen last wednesday. The a#@holes desided to try and pound the lock off before they cut it. Bad enough to steal our gas and all of our tools but now I need to replace a panel on the back door. We left the parking lot about 11 am returned at 4 pm. Anyone know or seen these scumbags pls let me know ill make it worth your time to say the least.
Been their lost about 5000 in eq. out of my trailer in front of my cabin 100' away with lots of trees for cover, broad daylight and me out side working. Reported to the police, had all the serial # and didn't hear ch!t but if u catch them and u contain them u can be charged. Had a friend got robbed at his liquer store and he caught the guy and held him their and he also got charged for holding the guy their. He had to get a lawyer which cost him 1000 to get the charges dropped so who does the law protect.

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been their lost about 5000 in eq. out of my trailer in front of my cabin 100' away with lots of trees for cover, broad daylight and me out side working. Reported to the police, had all the serial # and didn't hear ch!t but if u catch them and u contain them u can be charged. Had a friend got robbed at his liquer store and he caught the guy and held him their and he also got charged for holding the guy their. He had to get a lawyer which cost him 1000 to get the charges dropped so who does the law protect.

I have heard this story from a few different people, they LAW protects the criminals for sure. I heard of a neighbour that had fuel stolen from his farm on a pretty regular basis and when he caught the guys in broad daylight he confronted them with a firearm when they basically laughed at him and started to drive away he shot out the rear tire so that they could not drive too fast, when he called the Police they showed up very quickly but not to get the guys that stole the fuel. They arrested the farmer and it cost him a pile of money to get the charges dropped. Total BS, you can't do a thing to protect your property because you will be the one in trouble. I say we set up a trailer and leave the door open, when they go inside you get out of the truck and slam the door closed and take them for the ride of their life straight to the Police station.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
may be better to take em for a long ride out to your favorite sledding area and open door, "how did you guys get there" let em walk back to the highway 20 miles away.

Reactions: cs5

glassman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We rode eagles pass last year and they had a retired guy in his camper staying in the parking lot all day to watch stuff. He was paid out of the grooming fees. I think guys that come rooting around during the day are real brave. You never know when some guy with a broken sled is sitting in a truck drinking beerz. We also had fuel stolen out of the back of our truck right on the side of the highway by other sledders. It was concealed under the deck of the truck. You just never know who is ripping you off.

michaud2307

Reaction score
My granny will be in the trailer with a shotgun... Good luck scumbag... She looks really nice at first look but at her age she loves any kind of excitement!! Haha

Hooligen

Reaction score
Google Bill C-26. They changed the law. You can legally apprehend a duche bag stealin your chit. I know id make sure he fell down face first in the gravel a few times while i waited for the fuzz to pick him up. Quite a few times!

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah good luck collecting 5 bucks from every truck load at allen creek to be a weekend security guard:rolleyes:

Its not VARDAs fault your ch!t got stolen,, nor thier responsibilty to watch it ither... Its kinda like getting your car broken into at the mall. Sucks ass but it happens.

Just like when I pay 300$ a night for a shitty hotel up in fort mac and get 10,000$ in equipment stolen from my truck and dont even get a "sorry".

Or how we pay taxes to the City of Red Deer and yet ch!t get stolen from our river side drive shop all the time... why doesnt the city have a full time guy watching my shop? lol

You guys are expecting a little too much of the Old guy volunteering at the trail booth for GROOMING fees.....

Sorry about your stuff going missing tho,,, been there,, it sucks and leaves you feeling very pissed off:beer:

The people that work the trail collection shacks to collect trail passes are not volunteers, They are paid employees.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was always under the impression you could do a citizens arrest and allowed resonable force to detain. again reasonable force.

Hooligen

Reaction score
According to the parliment of Canada website (no im not a nerd) before C-26 you had to watch them run away with your stuff, unless you had a warrant(obviously you wouldn't). Now you can use resonable force like imdoo'n said to make a citizens arrest. Heres the link. Lots of bla bla bla, but nice to know your right, aspecially with all the theft around now.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They tried breaking into a buddy from works trailer the same day as yours at allen, but they never got into it, stupid punk crack heads

Shifty423

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
VARDA should be dealing with this as well as the Cops. I shouldn't have to pay another $5 so my stuff doesn't get stolen.
Guys this really makes me mad as a VARDA employee as a snow host three days a week fri sat and sun we do random checks before we go up the trail and after we come down always at different times. VARDA does so much for sledding in valemount but this is not our job. As for the guy who is in the booth what your saying is you want him to confront theives by himself with no support and no cell signal to call police, I would consider that reckless and dangerous and don't think it's fair to put staff in harms way like that. Yea if he sees a plate he will always write it down and make and model of vehicle but all he can do is report what he or she saw. As for the 20 dollar trail fee for some reason everyone thinks we are making a huge profit but let me make this clear...after grooming and parking lot plowing this money is gone! Curtis works his butt off to get other grants and funding to run the rest of the day to day as well as all our other ventures such as crystal ridge. Sorry for the rant but this is our home and there is a lot of work that goes into making a weekend good for all our guests and theives are everywhere so don't leave valuables in your trucks and lock up your tools!

killernewf

Reaction score
No good to lock your tools. They'll steal the locks too. Or cut them like they did to mine. Along with damaging the trailer door. I'm not expecting the booth guy to confront thieves as well all know that these idiots have no respect for anything especially anybody. They can only dodge us for so long. They will eventually get caught. God help them if I happen to be the one to catch them

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hate to say it,
and if you know me you'll see the irony of this statement.

but around here your plate has a lot to do with it.
look at the locals leaving gas,sled covers, ramps, straps etc etc and nothing!
but an albertan or god help an american and its a target.

from my days of ski touring to cabins it was the same thing,
B.C. plates help you.

sorry but a locals truck is less likely to be the target.
I bought my truck off a local business owner and dont intend on taking the company stickers of the window for this reason.
feel free to flame me for saying this but others around here agree.
if I knew who thieves were I would post thier details coz I hope karma finds them painfully!

Catman13

Reaction score
I'm new to this sport as I have only been mountain riding for two years. I just want to say that putting the thousands of dollars of trucks and trailers in the parking lot is a choice I am making. I'm not so naive as to expect someone in a booth to watch my stuff. I am leaving my stuff in the parking lot unattended of my own free will with insurance to cover the losses. I appreciate the grooming that is able to be maintained given the conditions. I am tired of listening to these whiners continuing to bash locals. The first mountain ride I had was Renshaw which had been groomed and wonderful in the am, by afternoon the trail was 26 kms of moguls. I didn't care. I just rode appropriately and got down to the parking lot and loaded. I loved my day and was hooked. If these people really liked the sport they would not sweat the small stuff and just relish the days they have to enjoy the sport. Perhaps they could take up heli-skiing. Those guys will watch your stuff

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm new to this sport as I have only been mountain riding for two years. I just want to say that putting the thousands of dollars of trucks and trailers in the parking lot is a choice I am making. I'm not so naive as to expect someone in a booth to watch my stuff. I am leaving my stuff in the parking lot unattended of my own free will with insurance to cover the losses. I appreciate the grooming that is able to be maintained given the conditions. I am tired of listening to these whiners continuing to bash locals. The first mountain ride I had was Renshaw which had been groomed and wonderful in the am, by afternoon the trail was 26 kms of moguls. I didn't care. I just rode appropriately and got down to the parking lot and loaded. I loved my day and was hooked. If these people really liked the sport they would not sweat the small stuff and just relish the days they have to enjoy the sport. Perhaps they could take up heli-skiing. Those guys will watch your stuff

I don't think anyone wants to bash the locals. Like anywhere there are good locals and bad locals. But really? Do you think people are driving out to BC just to steal chit out of parking lots?

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yah shifty Lets not talk at all about it ,and just bend over

It's no ones prob untill it will happen to u
Lets not talk about a fix for it
Lol

The guests are getting riped off

Shifty423

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yah shifty Lets not talk at all about it ,and just bend over

It's no ones prob untill it will happen to u
Lets not talk about a fix for it
Lol

The guests are getting riped off

My friend theft happens everywhere way more offten in your home towns then in the parking lots here this was an unfortunate isolated event! If it happens to me yea it will suck but I also never leave anything in my pick up other than a tarp and some straps. I am all for the idea of a trail cam or something to help catch these guys and will mention it to the board but to say its our job to protect your goods is not accurate. We do our best but theives are the bottom feeders of society and will always find a way to slither back in.

Top Bottom