These avi paths have released-good to go....

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sick of hearing so called ast 1-2 idiots saying how a zone is good to go because a slide path came down this season. Huge misconception. Hello **** reloads, layer didn't go on vacation. I'm still confused what the hell an ast certified course is. What, someone told u to pay attention and charged u $ for it so u think it's the b all end all? Ok I guess ur a pro because there is no higher level of recreational training available. It's a start, they can't teach u **** in a weekend, it takes a vet a lifetime to forecast scenarios. Ur not a vet in a weekend. Hello peeps wake up...u ain't **** with ur new sled.Start with the ast- ride with experienced peeps.... Practice-practice-practice- learn -learn, apply. Knowledge and good decisions come with patience and time...every single season has a new recipe- none similar to the other. Some are better then others.Experience comes with longivity and patience. Another season is around the corner. Limit ur risks. That's how u see another season...

Last edited:

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok you say ride with "experienced" riders. How many of these "experienced" riders got caught vs new riders on the past couple years. I am guessing that most if not all of them were "experienced".

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok you say ride with "experienced" riders. How many of these "experienced" riders got caught vs new riders on the past couple years. I am guessing that most if not all of them were "experienced".
That just goes to show you how ignorant the the ones with no experience can be, caution and good judgement goes a long way experienced or not.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with wild1. I'm getting tired of hearing news reports of "experienced & knowledgeable" sledders getting caught in avalanches. If they were "experienced & knowledgeable" most of them wouldn't have been there in the first place.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So lets look at it in a different context. We will use the poor fellow from Cycle Works as an example? He was knowledgable and experienced. He went back to help a guy that was stuck and got caught in a slide. Should he have went back to help or recognized the tree area he was in as a slide path and told the guy that he was on his own? Its easy to play armchair quarterback from home behind our computers but we have no factual evidence to go by because we weren't there are going by hearsay or heaven forbid the media reports which we all know are dramatized to pull readers in.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So lets look at it in a different context. We will use the poor fellow from Cycle Works as an example? He was knowledgable and experienced. He went back to help a guy that was stuck and got caught in a slide. Should he have went back to help or recognized the tree area he was in as a slide path and told the guy that he was on his own? Its easy to play armchair quarterback from home behind our computers but we have no factual evidence to go by because we weren't there are going by hearsay or heaven forbid the media reports which we all know are dramatized to pull readers in.

There are always going to be the marginal or questionable ones that may or may not have been avoidable.....but I don't believe they're in the majority.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Agree.......define experienced.
Not sure if everyone understands that caution knowledge experience and let's through smarts in the the picture as well, This is a high risk sport. Those things do not make you bulletproof, It can happen on the trail going up or on any slope you are exposed too, nature isn't predictable, on this topic experienced is just a word! It's clear it helps you avoid things but it dosnt make you invincible.once again High Risk. Learn as much as you can and be smart and cautious.

Last edited:

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't speak for anyone but myself, but everytime I leave the truck, I know full well it may be the last. Now that is not to say im a crazy with a death wish. What it means is that my eyes are wide, knowing that when its your time, its your time. Ive watched guys go up hills, undrr massive cornices, in absolute terrible conditions, and nothing happens. Hell, watch the video of the dudes hi-fiving... it seems those type live forever, while the careful nice guys die trying to help others.
All we can do is be as careful as we can and hope for the best. Hug your wife and kids before you leave.
Or... lock yourself in your room amd wait for old age to get you.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sick of hearing so called ast 1-2 idiots saying how a zone is good to go because a slide path came down this season. Huge misconception. Hello **** reloads, layer didn't go on vacation. I'm still confused what the hell an ast certified course is. What, someone told u to pay attention and charged u $ for it so u think it's the b all end all? Ok I guess ur a pro because there is no higher level of recreational training available. It's a start, they can't teach u **** in a weekend, it takes a vet a lifetime to forecast scenarios. Ur not a vet in a weekend. Hello peeps wake up...u ain't **** with ur new sled.Start with the ast- ride with experienced peeps.... Practice-practice-practice- learn -learn, apply. Knowledge and good decisions come with patience and time...every single season has a new recipe- none similar to the other. Some are better then others.Experience comes with longivity and patience. Another season is around the corner. Limit ur risks. That's how u see another season...

Instead of calling these people idiots: why not take the time to help objectively educate them further in their decision making process. Telling people they are idiots isn't going to help them make better decisions...

I personally think that the AST courses are great introductory awareness courses and think it's awesome that more and more people are taking them. How people process the information from training is up to them. But instead of running them down - take the time to explain and educate them more.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't speak for anyone but myself, but everytime I leave the truck, I know full well it may be the last. Now that is not to say im a crazy with a death wish. What it means is that my eyes are wide, knowing that when its your time, its your time. Ive watched guys go up hills, undrr massive cornices, in absolute terrible conditions, and nothing happens. Hell, watch the video of the dudes hi-fiving... it seems those type live forever, while the careful nice guys die trying to help others.
All we can do is be as careful as we can and hope for the best. Hug your wife and kids before you leave.
Or... lock yourself in your room amd wait for old age to get you.

Because there's nothing in between?

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Because there's nothing in between?

The 'in between' being born and death, is life. How you choose to live that life is a personal choice. Im not saying throw caution to the wind, im just saying that our sport comes with a risk, and I accept that.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank god we all don't get this worked up everytime we drive our vehicles. HaHa. I tell my family to pray for me for the trip out to the hills and back because I feel safer on the hill. I have had way more close calls on the road than on the hill. Nothing like a bunch of drunk plankers merging off the Lake Louise and Sunshine off ramps on a Sunday afternoon to give you a whole new prospective on life!

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank god we all don't get this worked up everytime we drive our vehicles. HaHa. I tell my family to pray for me for the trip out to the hills and back because I feel safer on the hill. I have had way more close calls on the road than on the hill. Nothing like a bunch of drunk plankers merging off the Lake Louise and Sunshine off ramps on a Sunday afternoon to give you a whole new prospective on life!

Amen to that.

Top Bottom