The wifes is comming to Golden

willhickey

Reaction score
So after years of nagging:rant: about me going sledding I have now given in and have aggreed to bring my wife to the mountains with me:nono:. I am wondering if anyone has done and the same and how it turned out. In addition where are some good places in Golden to bring my wife who has limited mountain experence, but still enough that I can have some fun.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only familiar with Quartz, Gorman, and down south.

IMO, none of them are "easy". Quarts has some smaller, easy to get to play areas, but thats it. Don't go to Gorman if she can't pull a large hill climb.

Down south has potential too. LONG ride in though! Large riding area once out there though.

W

woodies

how far you want to drive out of town?quartz is good close but crowded most of the time.got time to drive farther you could do alexander very fun plan on taking my wife there this year!

dirtball08

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Took my wife with me for the 1st time ,6yrs ago. We went to Quartz. Good snow and the trails to any play area were packed down good. She had no problem at all. Now she rides a rmk 800 156" and follows me everywhere as long as its not really steep. She likes to climb and boondock. She comes out 7 or 8 times a year. We've been to Golden, Revelstoke, Sicamous, and Fernie. Planning on going to the states this also, just don't know where yet. As long as you find a area with little hills that she can start on, both of you will have a great time! Have fun.:d

hornydevil

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So after years of nagging:rant: about me going sledding I have now given in and have aggreed to bring my wife to the mountains with me:nono:. I am wondering if anyone has done and the same and how it turned out. In addition where are some good places in Golden to bring my wife who has limited mountain experence, but still enough that I can have some fun.

Dont feal bad my wife will be coming aswell when I go.:doh:

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Been taking my wife to Golden for the last three years and if you want to treat her right take her to the Glenogle Mountain Lodge and tell Doris I sent you.These people are awsome and the food is great,Also the place my wife likes to sled the most is Quartz Creek.
catmando!

britt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Listen if you are going to be there for a few days and it is her frist time riding in the mountains, maybe try the Susan Lake Trail, it is quite easy and there are some other branch trails from the Susan Lake Trail. Next day try going into the Quartz area the trail in is quite easy but it can be quite choppy at times. Once you are at the cabin if you go up the hill slightly to your left you will come out to a high mountain meadow, very good area for the beginner mountain rider. If her confidence seems to building take her up the hill slightly to the right of the cabin, once you have climbed out of the trees there is some very nice riding, a few hills that should be good for her riding level and some more meadows to ride in. Go and explore and enjoy!!!!

Britt

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ditto on Susan Lake if she is green/timid (although you won't get much out of Susan Lake).

I took my wife and kids (6 & 8) into Susan Lake last year. There are out houses at the lake but no cabin to wam up in. It's trail riding but it was reasonably smooth; it must get groomed now and then.

I'm planning on taking them into Quartz this year....that big warm cabin is an easy sell to the wife. You will definitely get more out of Quartz than Susan.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the first ride my wife road the mountains was in quartz she came with our 14 year old son who road with me since he was 10 she did great on the groomed trail when we turned to go to the cabin she kept falling off the trail and getting stuck afraid to get on the gas i was 1st wife 2nd son last after pulling her back on the trail for the 4th time and frustrated he says to her YOU DRIVE LIKE YOUR DEAD it was funny at the time we have road together now for over 5 years were a little older now so we try to stay away from the steep and deep when we ride together if we get to a area that has steep or deep she plays in the meadow and i go hill climbing you both can have fun just keep sight of each other nothing worst than seeing your riding buddy go over a steep hill and return 1hour later while you worry your ass off

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bring her down to Fernie...nice groomed trails to get the play areas...not too difficult...lots of good riding she can get to..

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm going to vote for Susan Lake and maybe the Blaeberry area til she gets used to the sled, then like Britt and Shawn said, take her to Quartz. You will have lots of play area there for you and she may feel pretty comfortable. Don't take her to Gorman unless you are just going to ride up to the end of the road through the trees or she has ridden lots before IMO. The climb onto the lake can be a little scary for the newbie and once you're there, you have to climb off the lake at the other end. Lots of avy potential there too at times.

willhickey

Reaction score
Thanks guys, that is great. We are going with another couple that does not have alot of experience however, I think it could be alot of fun in the future. I think that we will go to susan for two days and then go to quartz on the last day. Thanks that was great. My hope is that she will love it and come with me everytime or that she will not be at all interested and allow me to go without greaf.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll be taking my wife out this yr, I think the plan will be for my bro and his GF to join us and we'll stay in Jasper, so the girls can join us out on the hill the first day then we'll send them to the spa on the second day. I don't have a second machine, so we'll be riding 2-up. I'll be slowly introducing her to driving but i think for now it'll be fun.

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Willhickey:

This will show my bias a bit - I would not take a 1st timer to Golden. For my money - although it is another 3 hours of driving - is to go to Hunter's Range. It probably is the best beginner terrain there is, big chalet in the middle of the flats, and enough good boondocking terrain for you to get your kicks. Plus - there are great trails at the Silver Star ski hill and around Falkland if she doesn't like the alpine that have cabins, etc. Also - the terrain there doesn't seem as intimidating for the novice - the mountains do not have the alpine look of Revy and Golden.

Blue Lake is also real good - between Sicamous and Revy. Nice cabin and big meadows for the beginner.

Around Golden - I agree with Quartz, Blaeberry and Susan Lake. Some other beginner terrain that gets overlooked is Silent pass. There are a lot of logging roads past the turnoff to the pass that are fun for the beginners to play on - plus a few cutblocks to have fun on. No chalet or warmup though.

Just make sure that the first experience is a good one. A chalet to warm up in. Lots of Hots shots for the hands and feet. And a thermos of coffee. Once she gets cold and miserable - any hope of her ever enjoying it will vanish instantly. Give her a year or two of riding to get "tough".

If you really want to make it a great trip - fly the girls to Kelowna on Westjet. You and the buddy drive the truck. That way you can take a couple of days and Sled at Golden on the way down, and you won't have to stop every hour for pee breaks. Pick the girls up at the airport - and sled Vernon and Sicamous for a couple of days. Put them back on the plane and drive home! As it is said around my house - "If the Wife is happy - Everyone is Happy."

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Don`t put her on a sled that you yourself wouldn`t want to ride, I mean make sure it`s a mtn. sled if your going to the mtns.
A place to warm up, re-group and lick your wounds is always a bonus.
Be patient, remember the 1st time you rode?
Show them the basics first and then push them.
Willhickey hope she enjoys it and you`ve got yourself a new riding buddy.
Barefooter like the toughen her up comment.
I see a lot of ladies out there riding these days guys and they can really ride.

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ditto to powder puff, make sure she's on a bona fide mountain sled and she'll chew her way to the top like most people, val's chewed her way up the monkey chute down in corbin, got her way back into eagles pass, just above the monster bowl, and even talked her thru skinny ridge at owl's head, more women the merrier and you'll even get to ride more too:cool:

and found a couple pic's from a few years back, yep riding a 121 up at waldy world at boulder, and she can still drink beer with the boys when it's spring riding.

Attachments

• DCP00245.JPG
    DCP00245.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 35
  • DCP00363.JPG
    DCP00363.JPG
    183.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Later in the season, when there's more snow, Quartz is the spot to bring the ladies. The boys grooming out there do a stellar job of cutting a line up into the rolling alpine where the ladies can play in the flats and the boys can climb some hills.

willhickey

Reaction score
Thanks guys this has been great info. I have a 800 mountain Cat with a 151 and a m1000 with a 162. I think that I will put her on the 800 just because of the torge of my new one. My though is that if i can get her into powder so that she can get the feel of it we will have a better time. We are also going to be riding with some other newbies so I don't think that I am expecting to much steep and deep type stuff however if I can get just a little bit then i will be happy. My hope is that she loves it and comes with me all the time or that she will decide that it is not her cup of tea and will allow me to go and just have fun with the boyz. I aggree the more girls we can get out there the better. I think that sledding is moving to more of a family sport. I know when I have kids I will be bringing them out to the mountains if they are interested so it would be nice to have someone else there to help me dig them out.

Top Bottom