the reason 2 strokes are better than 4 stroke

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
well i can tell you one thing, i wont be buying a KTM, if i want 2 stroke ill just buy used, KTM is a nice bike but lots of $$$$$

stuie

Reaction score
while most manufacturers are ditching the 2 stroke, KTM is moving forward with their 2 stroke program. Metal Mulisha guys are turning to KTM for bikes (sponsorship) since they want the 2 stroke for freestyle...

ya for sure man some of the pussy manyafacuers gave up on them i was told that yamaha hasnt dicided to quit maken the yz 250 yet but they are not working on maken it any better i agree with doo about the price of the ktms its a little much still but they are starting to make soem really nice bikes in a few years im sure they will be worth what they are askin i really like the hydrolic clutch on them so smooth and soft ha ha ha i almost grabed one of the 300sx but have heard they not that much to brag about although i havent tryed one myself

razorsedge

Reaction score
Website
www.jetsowner.com
I just started riding the last year, and bought a yz125. This year, another buddy decided to start riding as well and he bought yz25f. So after a couple rides we decided to switch bikes for a bit. I rode his around and parked it after 5 minutes. It was uber-lame. He parked mine after 5 minutes as well, cause it scared him when he cracked the throttle.

I'm almost ready for more power. I've ridden a CR250R, but have gotten the chance to try a 450 yet. I'd like to ride a 450 first, since I'm interested in going 4 stroke just because 2 strokes are being phazed out.

I don't race or anything, and just like to free ride. Always thought 2 strokes would be funner for that. I was also under the impression that the only reason why 4 strokes are the craze is because the AMA made it that way (for emission reasons). Monkey see monkey do.

BRAAAAAAAAAAAP!

razorsedge

Reaction score
Website
www.jetsowner.com
I've only been riding for a year and have a Yz125. A buddy of mine just started riding this year and bought a YZ250f. We decided to switch rides for a bit one day. I rode his for about 5 minutes and parked it. It was uber-lame. He decided to park mine after 5 minutes cause it scared him when he cracked the throttle.

I was under the impression the only reason why people are riding is because the AMA banned 2 strokes. So i figured monkey see monkey do.

I'm ready for more power. I've ridden a CR250r, but haven't been on a 450 yet. I'd like to try a 450 before I decide if i'm gonna stick with 2 stroke or go 4 stroke. Anybody off hand know the weight difference between a 250 2 stroke and a 450?

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The weight differance is not that much, if any differance at all. I have a 2000 CR250 and my bro has an 07 RMZ 450. I love 2 strokes but his 450 makes my 250 look like a 125!! i find the 4 strokes are a much different bike to ride but then again, i love the snap of a 2 stroke plus they are wayyyyyy cheaper and easier to fix.

Andy the Digger

Reaction score
I was a 2 stroker for life as well, I owned a couple 01 cr250's, and a few cr 500's..a 91 and a 2001.. My transition was made after a week long trip to St Anthony's dunes.. In the wet sand, my 91 cr500 got SPANKED.. In the dry, it wasn't too bad, but still behind the 450's.. Keep in mind, the 500 wasn't set up perfect though, and I am over 240 lbs in riding gear. I bought my first 450 2 years ago, and shortly after, sold both 500's and my 250.. I still miss the nimbleness of the 250 in the tight bush trails, the easy starts, the low maintainance, and the lack of stalls. I set up my crf450 with 12/51 gears ( almost too slow for fast trails, but good for tight stuff and skag ) a rekluse pro auto clutch ( which really cut down my stalls... from 15 a ride to 1 stall a weekend ) But I still kick a hole through my tech 8's once a year... I like the bush riding and the gnarly stuff... I think I go through and up stuff, 250 2 strokes can't .. I have never been let down by the 450 yet..
I think the jury is still out on the comparison.. If your under 160lbs, a 250 2 stroke is the way to go I still think... But if your over 200lbs.. the 450 is a advantage!

yzgirl09

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My opinion might not matter much to the guys on this forum..but if there are any ladies reading who can't decide wether to start out on a 4-stroke or 2-stroke (petite or smaller women)....I started on a 4-stroke, nothing extravagant now..just a Yamaha TTR 125...my first bike ever, now I've upgraded to a Yamaha YZ 85 because I wanted something with more power, and I wish I would have started out on the 2-stroke.. because it was basically like relearning how to ride a bike all over again, I loved the 4-stroke for the constant deliverance of power and the steady ride, but it was too heavy and high maintenance and parts are double the cost as a 2-stroke. Once you get used to the 2-stroke, you love it - I have a lot of buddies who have been riding for years though and they were all on 250's....now they all seem to be moving up to 450's..some of them run both just experience a change once in a while.. there is always good and bad amongst all things, right??

LimaMikeMike

Reaction score
Technology has left the two strokers in the dust, a 4 stroke makes more power, puts the power to the ground in a friendlier manner (easier to ride and ride longer)the latest ones only weigh slightly more (skip that cheeseburger and you'll be even) and with latest fuel injection coming on all the new stuff are easier to tune.

While the KTM SX/XC two strokes are pretty much the cutting edge for 2 strokers, the big four japanese builders have pretty much abandoned them.

razorsedge

Reaction score
Website
www.jetsowner.com
I agree all the technology is going into the 4 stroke. I haven't ridden a 450f yet, and would like to. If I had the money, I would buy the '09 CRF450r. The reviews make it sound like the new standard in 4 stroke technology. I don't race or plan to, and I'm not much of a mechanic so I feel a 2 stroke bike (especially when buying used) is best suited for me.

MtnMaster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anywhere the snow is deep, and the hills are steep
I was riding a decked out RM 250, but wanted more power. Thought I would be 2 stroke for life, until I rode a CRF450. Went and bought one a week later... Until someone builds a brand new 500 smoker (other than the service honda) I will buy one. But, no 2 stroke can touch a new 450..

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My opinion might not matter much to the guys on this forum..but if there are any ladies reading who can't decide wether to start out on a 4-stroke or 2-stroke (petite or smaller women)....I started on a 4-stroke, nothing extravagant now..just a Yamaha TTR 125...my first bike ever, now I've upgraded to a Yamaha YZ 85 because I wanted something with more power, and I wish I would have started out on the 2-stroke.. because it was basically like relearning how to ride a bike all over again, I loved the 4-stroke for the constant deliverance of power and the steady ride, but it was too heavy and high maintenance and parts are double the cost as a 2-stroke. Once you get used to the 2-stroke, you love it - I have a lot of buddies who have been riding for years though and they were all on 250's....now they all seem to be moving up to 450's..some of them run both just experience a change once in a while.. there is always good and bad amongst all things, right??

I'm with ya yzgirl, our opinion might not matter to the guys but it may help the ladies. I started on a 4 stroke TTR230 which is what I ride now. Love the 4 stroke for how/where we ride. Being only 5'2", I had trouble finding a small enough bike that would give me a little power. I find my bike could have more snap, like the bigger 4 strokes do but overall it's a good ladies bike for sure. If I was taller/bigger, I would have a bigger 4 stroke. We do alot of backcountry roads/trails and pack on the kms most days. The 4 stroke gives you the power for the long roads, is good on the knarly trails and can lug up the steepest hills with ease and minimal shifting. I can see how 2 strokes would be awesome on a motocross track, or track-like trails but for our ridin' they aren't as suitable. Gas is also a concern for us...don't want to have to pack if we don't have to.
I found the 4 stroke good to learn on as it doesn't need as much shifting so it gives you time to learn to ride and learn some technical skills without the constant attention to shifting. But the 2 stroke being lighter and more nimble would definitely benefit some ladies and there are smaller bikes with power in a 2 stroke. I think it depends on the riding you're gonna do. We find our 4 strokes can take us anywhere, whereas our 2 strokin' buddies are more limited and usually miss out in half our trip.
The 4stroke is much more like the street bike I learned to ride on.

Hubby has a WR450...holy crap does that thing have power!!!! He's 200lbs, 6ft and it still scares him :bowdown:

winterax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought nothing was better than my 06 KTM 300 XCW ( 2 stroke ) until I rode my son's 08 KTM 300 XCW. Nothing better than beating a bunch of pure motocrossers when you've got a headlight & tailight on !;)

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The ability to ride is not limited by the equipment that you have, but by how far you are willing to push your limits. 99% of the time riders will not exceed the limits of their equipment, their ability will be limited by how much they push themselves and their boundaries. I know people on both ends of the spectrum and there is a case to be made for both 2 stroke and 4 stroke. Some people just prefer one over the other and their riding style has lead them to that specific choice. Each has its unique advantages, and they are both good in their own way.

Typically, the type of riding you do will factor into what you ride, and if you strive to expand your limits, you will eventually find your are not limited by the equipment, only by yourself - and it will be at this point, that how you ride will then dictate what you ride.

As for anyone who says that 2 strokers are better than 4 strokes.......

Here's a little race prepped 600 for ya...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hfICie9G-g&feature=related[/media]

How about a 1428 KZ on nitrometh - like hanging onto a top fuel dragster.... (skip to 3:00 min mark)
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZqPCvxFQ8M&feature=related[/media]

Can your 2 stroke do that beeeeotch???

:D
:p

stuie

Reaction score
The ability to ride is not limited by the equipment that you have, but by how far you are willing to push your limits. 99% of the time riders will not exceed the limits of their equipment, their ability will be limited by how much they push themselves and their boundaries. I know people on both ends of the spectrum and there is a case to be made for both 2 stroke and 4 stroke. Some people just prefer one over the other and their riding style has lead them to that specific choice. Each has its unique advantages, and they are both good in their own way.

Typically, the type of riding you do will factor into what you ride, and if you strive to expand your limits, you will eventually find your are not limited by the equipment, only by yourself - and it will be at this point, that how you ride will then dictate what you ride.

As for anyone who says that 2 strokers are better than 4 strokes.......

Can your 2 stroke do that beeeeotch???

:p

hahah yes it can and without the extended swing arms and juiced motor come to BC with me some time ill show you how a stock bike climbs a hill plus if your lucky you will get to see how well it flys when something goes wrong witch in my case happens quite offten

clint/KTM/16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hahah yes it can and without the extended swing arms and juiced motor come to BC with me some time ill show you how a stock bike climbs a hill plus if your lucky you will get to see how well it flys when something goes wrong witch in my case happens quite offten

man u have a huge boner over 2 strokes.

stuie

Reaction score
man u have a huge boner over 2 strokes.

mmmmmm you effn know it man hard as a rock every time i ride hahahaha just messin but ya they are my bike of choice over any of the many backfiren kick your guts out boggy 4 strokers ive rode maybe someday they will make one that changes my mind but hasnt come out yet

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hahah yes it can

Actually.....no it can't. :)

If it could, why would I need more horsepower and a longer wheelbase?

My hillclimb bike pulls hard for almost 8000 rpm and revs to 11,500. Just curious - how's that 1,500 rpm powerband working out for ya??

I'm from BC originally (spent over 20 yrs of my life there) so I may have climbed a few hills.......I'd be interested to see what you can show me about climbing hills with your stock 2 stroke. I know of a couple places with 1/8 to almost 1/4 mile climbs. Do you have a sand paddle??

stuie

Reaction score
Actually.....no it can't. :)

If it could, why would I need more horsepower and a longer wheelbase?

My hillclimb bike pulls hard for almost 8000 rpm and revs to 11,500. Just curious - how's that 1,500 rpm powerband working out for ya??

I'm from BC originally (spent over 20 yrs of my life there) so I may have climbed a few hills.......I'd be interested to see what you can show me about climbing hills with your stock 2 stroke. I know of a couple places with 1/8 to almost 1/4 mile climbs. Do you have a sand paddle??

Actually.....YES it can hahaha might take a try or two or 15 but id get to the top and wait for you
cool well maybe you need more horses and longer wheelbase because your riden a 4 stroke? hahaha ya i love going to BC for climbs i try and get there once a month lucky you got ta live there what part its like the best place in Canada ive only tryed a paddle on the 500 once its hairy but i climb with normal tires where are these little hills you speak of located??

Top Bottom