the reason 2 strokes are better than 4 stroke

stuie

Reaction score
i've been reading alot of these threads and some just make me laugh. so i figured i would try my hand at either pissin people off or getin some good convo going on the subject of two strokes vs. 4 stroke.

i have rode a few modles of four strokes now all left me with the same disapointed feeling i like a bike that grabs a hold when you crack on the gas not bog and back fire ha ha ha

so if you four stroke guy/gals havent already closed this thread let me know how you bikes work. feel free to tell about the excisive matance to keep them runing. the fact that when there hot you have to kick you guts out, foul plugs everyother ride and so on

relize that i talking about MX not old four strokes like the NX XR ect. i know those old beast are dam near bullet proof

anyway i wont ramble on too much i wait to see if i caught anyones interest might make more enemys than friends but im two stroke for life

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been racing well for 35 years...and still belive that any new racer not rider, should learn to race on a 2-strock. It makes you learn to listen and feel what your motor is doing, it makes you better at shifting keeping the rpms in the power band.....so when you do go to race on a proberly set up fuel injected 4-strock...you bring good habits that make you a better racer.

Not sure what 4-strock bike you rode, but take a stock fuel injected 4-strock, swap out the exhuast, air filter and add a programer....and well you better be hanging on when you crack the throttle...they pull right from the get go there power band is as flat as I've ever seen....

Took me along time to jump ship from 2-strock power ....but know is the time....in the bike and quad world anyway....

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yea I had a four stoke but I like 2 strokes better. yea 4 strokes have bottom end but im never out of my powerband on my 2 stroke. i also find a 2 stroke is alot lighter.

yea also if you see a comparison 250f vs 250 the 250 has more power.

but i guess there are not going to be any 2 strokes left soon!

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
If you spend a lot of time on the motocross circuit like I do it won't take long to figure out what's what in the racers world. Years ago at the races you could always pick out that distinctive rumble of the thumper going around the track amongst all the two strokes. Now at the races its exactly the opposite. The 4-stroke thumpers dominate all classes of racing with the exception of the 50cc and 65cc pee-wee classes. It's not even a contest in my mind. Its more of a preference of riding like others have stated but just remember when the flag drops the bullchit stops :d :beer: :beer:

rmktony

Reaction score
When the 4 strokes started getting popular i said id never buy one . my buddy bought a new crf450 last fall and i took it for a ride. a week later i had my own. i love the power the bike has but still worried what it'll cost if i kill the engine. at least the 2 stroke 250 was cheap to rebuild

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
When the 4 strokes started getting popular i said id never buy one . my buddy bought a new crf450 last fall and i took it for a ride. a week later i had my own. i love the power the bike has but still worried what it'll cost if i kill the engine. at least the 2 stroke 250 was cheap to rebuild

My last crf450 I put 4 solid bag driving seasons on it with NO problems. I kept the valve clearances checked and adjusted at all times and changed the oil every 10-15 hrs. I use 0-40 synthetic and only change the oil filter every second or third oil change and flushed the coolant twice a year.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought my first new generation 4 stroke in the spring of '06. Rode an '05 CRF450R of my buddy's and thought it was pretty cool, but seemed like it was geared way low and found myself searching for 6th gear (there isn't one). Ordered an '06 CRF450X that fall, thought the wider gear ratios and a gearing change would fix the "fall on it's face" feeling the R had. Put the HRC factory "R" kit in the X, geared it up silly fast (14/45, stock was 13/51) and put a dual sport kit from Baja Designs on it. Hands down the funnest motorcycle I have ever thrown a leg over.

Rode every brand and size of 2 smokers growing up, had some fun racing, but always had a bike for ripping around on. My last 2 stroke was an '89 KX500 with all sorts of goodies on it, I didn't think anything could compare to it power wise but the 450 is close. Almost 500cc power in a bike that handles like a 250 smoker, I love it! 3 seasons on the X so far, not even a whimper out of it.

All that said, I'm looking for an '89 or newer, clapped-out KX500 for a project bike....:d

clint/KTM/16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't had enough diff bikes to really decide but i'm stickin with four stroke until one of my buddies has a sweet 2 stroke that i want, my bro said yea if you are goin to race get a 2-stroke it'll make you a better rider, ive been a four stroke guy but i also dont plan on racing. my 2 buddies have 2 stroke 85 and have both blown the engines in them hahahaha .

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
well i love the power in 250 2 strokes, i feel that a 125 doesnt have enough bottem end when i rode my friends and i was always on the clutch (trail riding and hill climbing and the odd track ride) but after riding my friends 03 crf 450 with 14-43 sprockets and fmf slip on and it was cray fast and an awsome hill climber and ripen up the trails in 5 th gear, it was awsome

elephant rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i love the power in 250 2 strokes, i feel that a 125 doesnt have enough bottem end when i rode my friends and i was always on the clutch (trail riding and hill climbing and the odd track ride) but after riding my friends 03 crf 450 with 14-43 sprockets and fmf slip on and it was cray fast and an awsome hill climber and ripen up the trails in 5 th gear, it was awsome

ya doo ryder you can't tell me that 125 isn't a big ball o fun EH???

stuie

Reaction score
yea I had a four stoke but I like 2 strokes better. yea 4 strokes have bottom end but im never out of my powerband on my 2 stroke. i also find a 2 stroke is alot lighter.

Ya forsure it would stack up that way 250f's are more comparabul with a 125
i know what you mean i love that snap aswell
I hope the day never come when emisions laws get out of hand and two strokes are baned everywhere

stuie

Reaction score
I have been racing well for 35 years...and still belive that any new racer not rider, should learn to race on a 2-strock. It makes you learn to listen and feel what your motor is doing, it makes you better at shifting keeping the rpms in the power band.....so when you do go to race on a proberly set up fuel injected 4-strock...you bring good habits that make you a better racer.

Not sure what 4-strock bike you rode, but take a stock fuel injected 4-strock, swap out the exhuast, air filter and add a programer....and well you better be hanging on when you crack the throttle...they pull right from the get go there power band is as flat as I've ever seen....

Took me along time to jump ship from 2-strock power ....but know is the time....in the bike and quad world anyway....

Nice thats sweet i would agree with two strokes being a better learning bike you really need to read the bike my first bike was a 00 YZ 250 when i was 15 and it was the most fun ever still the fav bike i own

as for the 4 strokes ive tryed here is a short list
CRF450 07 x2 difterent ones the first was owned by my boss and must of had every cent into it you could put in to one
YZF250 07 and a 06
RMZ 250 not sure the year was new ish
KXF 450 08

stuie

Reaction score
My last crf450 I put 4 solid bag driving seasons on it with NO problems. I kept the valve clearances checked and adjusted at all times and changed the oil every 10-15 hrs. I use 0-40 synthetic and only change the oil filter every second or third oil change and flushed the coolant twice a year.

YA its wild how fast the four stroke fad spread through the raceing world like fire burning out of control I've notince the same thing you here the one 2 stroke fire up and everyone thinks someones cuting down trees near the track haha
Wow thats wicked got to love a gem like that how offten do you get out on it? at least two of my friend that decied to go 4 stroke had there bikes blown up with in a week one crf450 and one yzf450 sad to see

stuie

Reaction score
I bought my first new generation 4 stroke in the spring of '06. Rode an '05 CRF450R of my buddy's and thought it was pretty cool, but seemed like it was geared way low and found myself searching for 6th gear (there isn't one). Ordered an '06 CRF450X that fall, thought the wider gear ratios and a gearing change would fix the "fall on it's face" feeling the R had. Put the HRC factory "R" kit in the X, geared it up silly fast (14/45, stock was 13/51) and put a dual sport kit from Baja Designs on it. Hands down the funnest motorcycle I have ever thrown a leg over.

Rode every brand and size of 2 smokers growing up, had some fun racing, but always had a bike for ripping around on. My last 2 stroke was an '89 KX500 with all sorts of goodies on it, I didn't think anything could compare to it power wise but the 450 is close. Almost 500cc power in a bike that handles like a 250 smoker, I love it! 3 seasons on the X so far, not even a whimper out of it.

All that said, I'm looking for an '89 or newer, clapped-out KX500 for a project bike....:d

cool alot of good info in your post i just got my CR500 and am loven every sec of it what kind of riden are you into? im taken that 500 to bc the first chance i get for some hill climbs what are you geting for a top speed out of the 450 geared like that?

stuie

Reaction score

it could be picey all depend on what you do to it do you do all your own work? i stirped the bottom end out of my yz 250 i was workin at the time so droped it off at a shop got it back like this along with a $3000 part list made me sick brought it home have the part list down to about 1500 now still so high due to the huge gouge in the jug and every bearing is so full fo grit not pretty at all that will teach me to say should be fine ill just go with out a cluch

Attachments

• IMG00068.jpg
    IMG00068.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 56

stuie

Reaction score

what do you have for a bike? where do you hill climb at ? ya the 450s have alot of top end how did you find its out of the hole power?

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
ahhaha i use to have a kx 100 but didnt ride it last season cause it was 2 small for me, and then i sold it, when i pay my sled off im buying a new bike.

the 450 had good out of the hole power, pulled my arms right off almost lol

stuie

Reaction score
nice dooryder good luck on getin a bike i want a new one maybe next year i had another let down on a 4 stroke some aprile things they looked sharp but same as evry other one berrrap instead of snap

Attachments

• IMAGE_100.jpg
    IMAGE_100.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 52
  • P1010244.jpg
    P1010244.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 56

intmid8or!

Problem Child
Reaction score

while most manufacturers are ditching the 2 stroke, KTM is moving forward with their 2 stroke program. Metal Mulisha guys are turning to KTM for bikes (sponsorship) since they want the 2 stroke for freestyle...

Top Bottom