The fine line between cheap and smart

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 01 enclosed trailer that has a zillion miles pulling sleds, quads, furniture, poker tables, etc.
The one thing I wish it had was furnace. I have used 2 or 3 electric fan heaters over the years,it works fine to keep warm enough to be a bunkhouse in -15C, I need to run a 3000W genie that will cost me about $2000.
My cheap side says, put in a propane furnace for about $2500 and be done with it. My smart side says I am wasting $2500 bucks I could be using to buy new trailer with a furnace for about $20K.
Thoughts...?

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First a zillion is a lot.

I would purchase a new trailer.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can't fix cheap, and cheap don't know they are cheap so you are hooped.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a sled forum, i think everyone will agree.... spend the 20k

Are you looking for ideas how to justify this expense to your wife?

If he is we all can help with the reasons.

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bingo!
It may have been too 'suggestive' to have the title "The fine line between the wife and smart". LOL

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wellllll....you can only use a furnace to heat your trailer. You can use a generator for all kinds of stuff.

Or you could just buy a new trailer. :dontknow:

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depending on how much you heat your trailer (number of hours you actually heat your trailer a year) a propane furnace is a lot more efficient/cheaper to heat with then a generator and electric heater and does not require a baby sitter for fuel. I can't understand why some one has not figure out how to use the waste heat of a gen set for heating RVs/Trailers. E.g.. A 3000 watt generator operating at full load produces 20.520 BTUs/Hour assuming combined efficiency of 50% of the Generator and motor. 3000w x 3.42 Btus/watt divided by .5 efficiency = 20520 BTUs per hour. Obviously as the gen set load drops so would the heat output. A gen set would really make sense in a co gen application where you can use the heat. Its reality on a large scale so hopefully it will be available on a small scale some day

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
Cost me 500$ to put a furnace in my trailer. My opinion is to keep your trailer so long as it is all beat out. chuck a furnace in.

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is looking like a new one in the fall, insulated with furnace, lots of lites and tall enough for me to walk up straight... I hope oil goes back up over $80 bbl...
Has anyone ever owned a Flaman's Everest model? Local made, looks like real nice trailer.
Anything looks real nice compared to my old one. Smells better too, especially after 15 years of beer farts and 2 stroke smoke.

Top Bottom