The easy way, or hard way?

Sparky's

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to do the top end on my 08 700 rmk. I way wondering if its best to pull the motor right out, or just leave the motor in the chassis? I'm thinking just in the chassis is the easiest. Looking for the best ideas. Any tips or pointers I'd gladly take.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the problem i had was the fuel rails are attached to the upper and lower part of the motor and you can't pull the heads without taking them off first there is no room to work behind the air box try taking the tank off and see if that works. have done a few motors with carbs and to pull the heads is simple the fuel rail just makes it more difficult did the motor on a guys 06 700 so i just pulled the motor lots of pieces to take off

ran9559

Reaction score
I am doing the same, you can do it in the chassis. You need to remove the belt cover and unplug the wirring harness, unbolt the cross bar then you have room to work. You only have to unbolt the top fuel rail to pull out injectors then head will come off. Good idea to remove reeds for inspection, my 07 had a terrible sealing airbox. Unbolt therostat housing and use a shop vac to drain out coolant first. Are you doing the top end due to maintanence or engine failure?

Sparky's

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im doing the top end because when I pulled the exhaust valves out for cleaning I seen scoring on the pistons. I used the old girl threw Xmas. Before something goes boom and wrecks the bottom end I'd redo to top end. Do I need special tools to remove the fuel line? Or just unbolt it move it enough out of the way? Last motor job I did was with carbs, so this will be a learning experience.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's up to you, but I never do a top end without replacing the crank seals....which means motor out. The seals have just as many miles on them as the pistons do.

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have done 2 dragon 700 s and one 800 this year so far and it really only takes a few hours to pull the motor looks worse then it is make shure to replace the green seal for the injectors the lower injector retaining bolts take some relaxing deep breaths but that is about the worse of it the 800 striped the water pump impeller 2 rides after rebuild so i like to check out the whole motor when its out

Top Bottom