Telus hub

g123

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience using Telus Hub for their rural internet? It's available in my area and I'm thinking about giving it a try.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience using Telus Hub for their rural internet? It's available in my area and I'm thinking about giving it a try.
It's just like any other "rural internet " ;it sucks. Ours was awesome when we first got it and Telus claimed they weren't going to over sell it. But. Guess what. They lied . They only time we get decent service is mid day during the week and probably in the middle of the night.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Results probably vary depending on location but out where I live it sucks.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep ? Sign up and service is great for about a month .
Then they cut you back and feed you full of excuses .
All are the same crap. IMO

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got one for the lake spot (Shuswap) and was great April - June then when the tourists came it went for crap. I called Telus and they admitted there was an issue and said it will be fixed in time for next summer as the tower was not designed to run the capacity it was doing. Time will tell. Otherwise, I use it for back up at our rural home in Armstrong and works good when I need it.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
By Warburg rural it works good at a friends place. But he does not have many people around his farm area.

g123

Reaction score
When you guys say it's bad just how bad is it? Can a guy watch netflix or you tube without interruption. It's just me and the wife so there wont be a bunch of gizmos using the wifi.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you guys say it's bad just how bad is it? Can a guy watch netflix or you tube without interruption. It's just me and the wife so there wont be a bunch of gizmos using the wifi.
If you have a Telus cell phone it will be the same as the LTE you get with the phone.

Do a speed test and see for yourself.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

When we had wireless ? Not a chance of watching Netflix.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found if speed is min 2-3 mbps you can watch Netflix with some streaming taking place but ideally you need min 5.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

For me it sucks just a little less than the explorenet I had.

Net flicks or you tube is day by day. If the hub is in a good mood it will stream, if it’s not in a good mood it won’t even load.

I recently added a cell booster to try and help. Signal strength increased from not measurable (below -124 dbls) to very strong (-71 dbls). Quality of internet had no improvement.

Probably shatter now. Cell phones were not useable in my basement. Phones would switch to wifi calling to make any calls. Now with the booster the internet service can not even handle a wifi call. But now I do have cell service in my basement.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have a Telus cell phone it will be the same as the LTE you get with the phone.

Do a speed test and see for yourself.

I put in a booster a week ago. Been doing speed tests like crazy, with it on, and off,

Check cell service vs smart hub, vs wifi router plugged into hub.

Speeds are all slow. 3 tests on the same system back to back to back.

Range from 1mb-10mb. Right after each other. Don’t think the test proves too much, if it is intermittent it is gonna suck.
Today was the first I have seen double didgets, but I still have had to turn off my wifi assist feature to actually have a cell call.

be462f8a238d53023a03d14886740440.jpg

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have one at my farm....typically non peak times, 15meg down, 2-3 up.....peak times 2-4 down, 1 up.....definitely loads up and slows down during peak times like most other places not hooked directly to fibre....

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We got one 1.5 years now, Mabe it's been a year

Works great, can have 2 Netflix going and surf without any buffer

This is speed test at 6:00 pm

And only 1 bar cell lte I noted too
6bdce4705bb6b2774697fbbcd73b4589.jpg

skid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We also have the Telus hub and it's 10x better then explornet, but the amount of people on it probably isn't a lot so it works great and we can watch all the Netflix we want with no buffering

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We use one at the farm here, works amazing! Can stream 2 net flix and run our fedyard cameras with out any trouble!

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We've been on CCI Wireless in rural Red Deer for 5 years and it's been pretty good. Streaming is no problem. Unlimited data. Looks like there should be coverage in Leduc area.

g123

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I'll give it a try and if it doesn't work I'm gong to try CCI and leave explornet as my last resort.

Top Bottom