Taking kids on rides

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Would I take others kids on a ride? I have, and as long as I know the family of said kids and know that they aren't going to jacka$$ around in front of or behind me on the machine I'd do it again. Just yesterday I had Many #'s youngest on the quad in front of me, my riding style changes when I have passengers and even more so when they are children.

This is a great topic and lots of the sides of stories I'm reading here make 100% sense. Always a risk no matter how we look at it, but it should still be about the fun and introducing these kids to the sport. Not all families can afford the luxury of powersport toys but if I can share the luxury with others I surely will :)

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope you are not suggesting that statistically, driving in a car on a road is as dangerous as driving an OHV in the off road. Your car also carries insurance that protects you and your passengers....

I guess its gambling. I will take Pecos' kids in my motorhome or truck on occasion when we get together....I figure the odds of a bad wreck might be 1:1,000,000. I will not take his kids on a quad ride...I'm guessing the odds of an injury-causing wreck would probably be closer to 1:100.
No, but I'm just saying that both sh!t can and will happen

And that saying ur not taking someone less than 18 is being a hypocrite

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tex if ya just wanna argue (somewhat ridiculously) do it on a sled thread, as i dont think you even ride a quad/utv at the moment..........:confused:

The point is really very simple ! A lot of people for a number, of reasons DO NOT feel comfortable taking others peoples children a long for a ride............

Last edited:

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have taken other people's kids on a ride ONCE and will not do it again. The kids were dying to try it and their Dad asked me if it would be ok. They had all the safety gear on and we were going slow: putzing through a tight section of trees in the Rhino SxS. The Rhino was kind of wedged in the trees and I needed to back up and adjust my angle in order to make a turn. I just happened to look back and see my co-worker's kid with his head and arm sticking out the side.. kind of jammed between the roll cage and a tree just before I started forward again. The tree potentially would have taken his arm off at the shoulder and whacked him in the head good... The kid wasn't even paying attention and had I been going any faster it would have been ALL bad. OUR children have been on ATV's and SxS's before they could even walk, and they know better than to stick anything out the side of the vehicle, but these kids were just so excited that it took them about 10 minutes to forget the rules I had told them before we started... I decided then and there that would be the last ride for any kids other than my own :/

Last edited:

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No, but I'm just saying that both sh!t can and will happen

And that saying ur not taking someone less than 18 is being a hypocrite
I am only a hypocrite if I have different rules for different people and situations. I do not.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am only a hypocrite if I have different rules for different people and situations. I do not.

i understand where dave is coming from, set your comfort level and stick to it. if you have no problem giving other peoples children rides on rides no problem. I'm not not set at an age limit as such, younger children have attention span of zero, have no concept of what to do, likely never riding in a SxS, and as sled mamma said, they like sticking hands/legs out the door or net.
in an accident, say a young child gets hurt, medical bills can hit the stratosphere, parents likely have no insurance and can't/will not pay. so the quad/SxS owner/operator is going to be on the hook, BIG. when insurance runs out, then you will be in litigation till he!! freezes over. yes i have been that kid who sits watching, would do anything for a ride. maybe that is why i value everything i have while old buds still beat the crap outta everything.

i'm thinking i will just take a large bag of candy and just give it to the kid, send him home after he has eatin half of it. lol.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tex if ya just wanna argue (somewhat ridiculously) do it on a sled thread, as i dont think you even ride a quad/utv at the moment..........:confused:

The point is really very simple ! A lot of people for a number, of reasons DO NOT feel comfortable taking others peoples children a long for a ride............
Huh, not even arguing..... Just saying, asking how is it different

Giving ideas, other thoughts ect

And w.t.f does it make a difference weather I have a quad or not, I sold it because it's not set up or any good for here

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok next question , is it the same answer for vehicles ?? Taking someone else's kids in a vehicle ??

Bet not....

How can it be different , both have other people to worry about , mabe trails have more dangerous stuff one way, but then so does the road

If u have plpd on both for just in case, not saying ur friends would sue u but.... U never know

How can it not be the same answer , vehicle or ohv

Actually kids volley ball and basket ball teams for example use the school bus. If a parents vehicle is used the type of insurance liability is required and has to be shown to the school.

In both cases a school bus or personal car waivers are signed by parents. I know because the girls in high school did sports and we had them on the bus. A lot of parents drove they own kids.

If we drove the school required all proper paperwork.

No one wants to take a chance anymore. Cars, sleds, quads, boating.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would think even with a waver you may end up in court, or at least spend a pile of money defending yourself. definitely something everyone should be thinking about. there is no way of knowing what will happen at any time. atv's cars etc. and if you correct the kids actions, mom and pop are pissy. seems like a no win situation, with the kids losing out.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And I'm not saying take others kids..... Sh!t happens tho no matter what ur in

Was just thinking that say u have someone else's kids in ur car and get hit or u hit someone

Not much different than a quad, that's what insurance is for with a high plpd coverage

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On a side note it has been a tough month.

EDMONTON- It’s the time of year for long awaited getaways, trips to the lake and finally taking the top down. However, along with this summer fun comes a high number of deadly collisions on Alberta roads.

RELATED STORIES

Four people killed in head-on collision southeast of Jasper
Driver killed in two-vehicle collision west of Edmonton
Two people killed in Wetaskiwin collision
Majority of Alberta’s traffic deaths on rural roads
From June 25 to July 9 this year, police have confirmed 26 fatalities in Alberta. That’s an average of at least one death per day. On Wednesday night alone, five people were involved in fatal crashes, including one killed four people near Jasper. On Tuesday, four people were involved in fatal crashes; one involved a gravel truck and a car, which killed two people in Wetaskiwin.

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok next question , is it the same answer for vehicles ?? Taking someone else's kids in a vehicle ??

Bet not....
How can it be different , both have other people to worry about , mabe trails have more dangerous stuff one way, but then so does the road

If u have plpd on both for just in case, not saying ur friends would sue u but.... U never know

How can it not be the same answer , vehicle or ohv

well to a degree for myself I could partially say yes. My daughter is turning 5 this fall and she has only been in a vehicle not driven by myself or my wife I believe about 3 times and my wife was in vehicle those 3 times also. I dont recall her traveling with anyone else with out us. There are lots of times this has been requested by grandparents, aunties etc. and I have declined it as I would not forgive myself for having made that choice for my daughter, my wife sides with me for the most part. I am definetely not going to handle her going on the bus very well either I'm sure this fall lol. Might be over protective but I do feel our roads are not very safe.
On the other hand I will take the responsibility to commute kids in a vehicle if really needed, but not for my wife to accept that responsibility for us.
each there own, cant live in a bubble but with the amount of unbeliveable skids and vehichles in the ditch and wrecks I see makes me wonder.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I showed her this and she teared up. Expect a really sloppy hug at the jamboree.

I've heard of a sloppy kiss.....this sloppy hug sounds, um...well, like a premature, well...um...get pictures.
it was pretty funny, hadn't read this until just now and laughed...Aud gave me a big hug and a lick from my neck to my ear, unfortunately for her I had just lathered up with a liberal dose of Deep Woods....you could say it left her with a bad taste in her mouth

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, my son went to his buddies house for a sleep over on Saturday with their family in their van... I towed someone else's kids on our tube behind our boat yesterday... My wife brought home our friends daughter last week so her mom could get some chit done solo... I tow lots of kids in the quad trailer around home ... Sled rides in winter...

So I guess I am down to take your kid for a ride in a car, on a boat or quad, maybe not a horse as its been a while, but if I got practiced up for a couple hours, I'd probably doo that too. Hell I even took a truck box full of kids for a slow ride in my ol '49 Ford.

Anyone got a problem with that? Let me list the number of fawks I give. Zero. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't think anyone is arguing with u giving rides to kids adults or whom ever. Was seeking opinions on why or why not,

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't think anyone is arguing with u giving rides to kids adults or whom ever. Was seeking opinions on why or why not,

I wasn't argueing, merely stating facts. I realize the risks, accept the responsibility and have the skills to get it done safely.

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it wasn't for people giving me rides as a kid, I would have never got to go at all... :-( lol

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I give kids rides quite abit,only if i know the parents,and there big enough to sit on the quad or bike safley,plus have gear,which theres ussualy lots of extra kickin around,i do change how i ride but thats ok when i see the smile on there face,now my daughter on her 250 raptor wants to take her friends for a ride i tell them to ask there parents first and get geared up,so far so good,her and her friend rolled playin in the mud acouple of weeks ago,kinda got me worring but you know we cant keep living in fear of litagation or this country is doomed,so ya under the right circumstances i love givin kids rides.

Top Bottom