supercharger information

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I need some information on superchargers for a apex I would like to know how well they work and are they easy to install

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Talk to Terry at ttpowersports,I believe he had one!

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm running mine at 8psi (should be around 200hp @ 6500ft) and lovin it. MPI has very good install directions; it took me a while but I bought the kit used and the kit was missing a part. I wouldn't call it easy to install, it took about 40hrs buy the time I got threadolet for the o2 sensor installed and gauges and clutch adjustments. There's nothin really difficult, I just took my time. I made one mistake in the install which allowed an oil line to rub on one of the charger pulleys and hole it. I also had an oil leak on the charger oil system but that was an easy fix.

Plan on also buying boost and AFR gauge and likely a few clutch components. And I'd recommend a BOV, especially above 5psi. I run with my TORS engaged no problem with a BOV.

The GEMS box takes a while to get used to but it is adjustable on the mtn without a lap top. It has to be kept dry. I've got mine set-up for the elevation I ride at and it stays under my cowling. And they are cheap, half what a boondocker or any other box is worth so no biggy to have a spare.

It runs like stock throttle response, you wouldn't know it was there except for the added hp and the BOV opening up when you let off the throttle. It also takes about 15sec for the GEMS box to initialize every time you fire the sled up.

Definitely big grin factor!

If you've any questions shoot away.

wilmot

Reaction score
I'm running mine at 8psi (should be around 200hp @ 6500ft) and lovin it. MPI has very good install directions; it took me a while but I bought the kit used and the kit was missing a part. I wouldn't call it easy to install, it took about 40hrs buy the time I got threadolet for the o2 sensor installed and gauges and clutch adjustments. There's nothin really difficult, I just took my time. I made one mistake in the install which allowed an oil line to rub on one of the charger pulleys and hole it. I also had an oil leak on the charger oil system but that was an easy fix.

Plan on also buying boost and AFR gauge and likely a few clutch components. And I'd recommend a BOV, especially above 5psi. I run with my TORS engaged no problem with a BOV.

The GEMS box takes a while to get used to but it is adjustable on the mtn without a lap top. It has to be kept dry. I've got mine set-up for the elevation I ride at and it stays under my cowling. And they are cheap, half what a boondocker or any other box is worth so no biggy to have a spare.

It runs like stock throttle response, you wouldn't know it was there except for the added hp and the BOV opening up when you let off the throttle. It also takes about 15sec for the GEMS box to initialize every time you fire the sled up.

Definitely big grin factor!

If you've any questions shoot away.
Im going to buy a s/c from MPI for my 2010 163 Nytro. I cant decide if i want stage 1 or 2 what do you recommend?

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I only know one guy that upgraded from a stage 1 apex to a stage 2 and he regretted it. He was also trying to get a RB3 to work on the stage 2 so that complicated matters.

That's not much experience to draw upon for a stage 2. I also don't have any experience with the Nytro. But the stage 1 does work on the Apex. There are a lot of stage 1s running around so lots of guys to give you advice.

I'm a very conservative guy so I started with very low boost and have slowly worked my way up the learning curve. Low boost allows you to get used to the kit without risking motor damage. Stage two requires some fuel system mods as well. And I believe it only gets you another 3psi. Me, I'd start with the stage I. You might talk to MPI to see what it would cost to upgrade from Stage I to II if stage I isn't enough for you. Stage I gets you 220hp @ 11psi on the Nytro....that's a fairly sweet machine!

You might have a little more experience modding sleds than me...and I don't know where your riding and what kind of riding, if your riding 10-11,000ft then a stage 2 might make sense.

wilmot

Reaction score
I only know one guy that upgraded from a stage 1 apex to a stage 2 and he regretted it. He was also trying to get a RB3 to work on the stage 2 so that complicated matters.

That's not much experience to draw upon for a stage 2. I also don't have any experience with the Nytro. But the stage 1 does work on the Apex. There are a lot of stage 1s running around so lots of guys to give you advice.

I'm a very conservative guy so I started with very low boost and have slowly worked my way up the learning curve. Low boost allows you to get used to the kit without risking motor damage. Stage two requires some fuel system mods as well. And I believe it only gets you another 3psi. Me, I'd start with the stage I. You might talk to MPI to see what it would cost to upgrade from Stage I to II if stage I isn't enough for you. Stage I gets you 220hp @ 11psi on the Nytro....that's a fairly sweet machine!

You might have a little more experience modding sleds than me...and I don't know where your riding and what kind of riding, if your riding 10-11,000ft then a stage 2 might make sense.
Thanks for the info.. How difficult is the install?

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.. How difficult is the install?

Install took me about 30-40 hrs, including gauges, o2 sensor welding on the exhaust, and clutch work (I took both apart and inspected as I had never had them off the machine in 5500kms). The directions from MPI are good, you just need to be methodical about following them. I'm told a yami tech takes about 8 hrs - I wasn't in a rush. Nothing really difficult.

wilmot

Reaction score
Install took me about 30-40 hrs, including gauges, o2 sensor welding on the exhaust, and clutch work (I took both apart and inspected as I had never had them off the machine in 5500kms). The directions from MPI are good, you just need to be methodical about following them. I'm told a yami tech takes about 8 hrs - I wasn't in a rush. Nothing really difficult.
I went a head and pulled the trigger on a S/C stage 1 pump gas. From MPI they have a group buy going on this month. I just put my sled away and cant wait till next winter.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went a head and pulled the trigger on a S/C stage 1 pump gas. From MPI they have a group buy going on this month. I just put my sled away and cant wait till next winter.

Should be a blast!

Keep on them to make sure then get that kit to you early!

wilmot

Reaction score
Im in no hurry..... I dont start thinking about my sled till October.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is June going to be early enough. Were we slow getting you a kit?

No, didn't mean to imply that you guys were slow! ....I'd be wound up though, it's like writing a letter to santa then having to wait for xmass, that's a long painful wait!

Me, I'd try to get a few tuning rides in on it this season....lots a snow left! When I installed mine I took it out in June for a test ride, that way if there was anything wrong I could address it over the summer.

I don't stop thinking about sledding...

Last edited:

matt@mpi

Reaction score
No, didn't mean to imply that you guys were slow! ....I'd be wound up though, it's like writing a letter to santa then having to wait for xmass, that's a long painful wait!

Me, I'd try to get a few tuning rides in on it this season....lots a snow left! When I installed mine I took it out in June for a test ride, that way if there was anything wrong I could address it over the summer.

I don't stop thinking about sledding...

No problem. I'm just trying to pick up are customer service. Just trying to make everyone happy.

raposo

Reaction score
Just bought a 2007 Apex GT with a stage 1 MPI supercharger and I know very little about it. I do know that it set a 10 psi of boost and I would like to run 91 octane so I need to change the pully to a 5 psi. Does anyone have any ideas of where I can get one and do I have to change anything else other than the pulley.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only place I know of to get pullies is MPI. You will also have to make adjustments to your clutch and your fuel box. I ran 5psi fora few rides but never really got the clutching set-up right before I bumped up the boost to 8psi.

You could also get a shim installed to run 91 octane at 10psi.

MPI also sells a BOV that lets you adjust boost without swapping pulleys. The pulleys determine the max boost you can run and the BOV allows you to adjust it down from there. My Apex is pullied for 11psi and the BOV set for 8psi. I put in about 700kms last season on this set-up and am very happy with it. Very rarely have to adjust my fuel box as I get 8psi at all elevations.

What elevation are you riding at?

apex2006

Reaction score
I just got back on this site and love reading how you guys set up your sleds. I am having trouble with mine and was wondering if your sleds get flutter?? I was reading up on turbos and it said flutter was bad for bearings seals. My oil reservoir went low on my apex a few times last season. I also read where one fella wrote that his reservoir went low on him too. Is anyone else having this happen to there sleds??

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got back on this site and love reading how you guys set up your sleds. I am having trouble with mine and was wondering if your sleds get flutter?? I was reading up on turbos and it said flutter was bad for bearings seals. My oil reservoir went low on my apex a few times last season. I also read where one fella wrote that his reservoir went low on him too. Is anyone else having this happen to there sleds??

ya I lost a liter of oil out of my reservoir after rolling 24 ish times.......But I think I need the anti-roll valve installed! lol

94ac8a3d[1].jpg

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had an oil leak last year I had a hard time finding 'cause everytime I rolled it there would be oil all over the clutches which flung oil all over the left had side. Turned out it was the PTO oil seal which was taken out by some belt string that got wrapped around the shaft.

Stock apexes do normally loose a bit of oil over a season due to consumption, venting, and rolling loss into the air box. I don't think boosted sleds loose anymore - unless they roll more ;)! The crank case vents all go to atmosphere (rather than the air box on a stocker) on most boosted sleds, I think. This oil cannot make it's way back into the crank like on a stocker. I usually added about a litre over the season. 'cause of my oil leak issue last year I cannot tell you what normal oil consumption is on my sled with boost.

I'm not sure what this flutter is you speak of? Got a link?

Last edited:
Top Bottom