studed tires for ATV or UTV

hedge

Reaction score
You'll probably need shorter screws then for stock tires, measure the lug and get the longest that will fit in them. The mfc ones I posted above they measure the screws by the size of the length of the threads instead of the usual way of measuring a screw by including the head.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ice racing screws do not last if you are riding on anything but ice and snow dirt,rocks,ashpalt kill them fast
another option are grip studs tried them on dirt bike last year better traction than ice screws and they stay in the tire better but they are exspensive

Grip Studs™ Screw-In Tire Studs | Traction in Ice, Snow and Dirt | HOME

there are a few canadian companies that i have seen selling them as well this year

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those look good.
Thanks.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can go at it a couple different ways.

1st way 1/2-5/8 stud in the knob as long as you have enough meat that you don't penetrate. Great way to do it and quickest. Might be wise to put some slime or equivenlent in the tire incase you penetrated and you throw a stud.

2nd way is to line the tire with old tire of smaller diameter and use a longer stud and screw through the lug and into the inside rubber. Then use a tube in the tire. Much more complicated but you see the serious racers using this method.

When I use to ice race for Riverside Honda, back in the 90's. The 2nd way is the way I would build my tires, using 1 1/4 screws, and using a street bike tire as a liner. The tricky part was putting in the smaller tube and making sure it wasn't pinched anywhere!!!

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here's a pic, of the last set of studded tires I made for my own Banshee

DSCN0750.jpg

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will try 5/8 screws from utv Canada..

See how they work in stock tires..

Thanks for the tips everyone.....

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For a start I put 186 per tire.
hope to get out this week riding to try it...

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds good , lets see some pics !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while working extremely hard

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ooppps too big of a picture.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
those look like the MF44's arff....
for the price i think they are the way to go.. i inquired locally here and if i buy the GRIP STUDS ...min. 500 they will cost me 99 cents a piece! thats pricey but if you compare them closely with anything else .. they are simply the best and supposed to last very long and never rip out.. with 250 saying what he did, it sort of seals the deal at there claims... just dont know if i want to spend that type of money soo i still ride without studs and never really needed them since 07...

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as trashy said you will find that thoses studs will rip outta your tire, ice racers put another tire tread inside the tire, so they don't rip out.

trashy definitely not another pretty face, hehe. he has knowledge to.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
as trashy said you will find that thoses studs will rip outta your tire, ice racers put another tire tread inside the tire, so they don't rip out.

trashy definitely not another pretty face, hehe. he has knowledge to.

That was for bike tires, that I put a liner in. Quad tires, I only used NEW tires.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That was for bike tires, that I put a liner in. Quad tires, I only used NEW tires.

yes, longer lugs, with longer screws. used to ride the ice with the 5/8th or 3/4 screw and they would rip out on ice, on a trail can't see them lasting long, but after a few rides arff will know how they are doing. may work okay?

studs in bike tires are like riding on a rail. although they like to chew.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes, longer lugs, with longer screws. used to ride the ice with the 5/8th or 3/4 screw and they would rip out on ice, on a trail can't see them lasting long, but after a few rides arff will know how they are doing. may work okay?

studs in bike tires are like riding on a rail. although they like to chew.

I will keep you posted. Don't follow too close

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes good advice, will work on ice, rocks?

Last edited:
Top Bottom