studed tires for ATV or UTV

racerfromhell

Reaction score
I would like to put picks or studs in my factory tires for the winter on my RZR. Any one know what type would be best and where i could track some down?

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to put picks or studs in my factory tires for the winter on my RZR. Any one know what type would be best and where i could track some down?

I run 1/2 inch ice racing screws. 100$ per box. I believe here's a 1000 per box A box will do 2 machines. They work awesome. I plow in 2 wheel drive. And off road is wicked. Make sure u have a few more in the front than rear or u can't steer.

campingnut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends on how agressive of a stud you want because I use car tire studs and find they work all year round.

racerfromhell

Reaction score
Depends on how agressive of a stud you want because I use car tire studs and find they work all year round.

how would you put them in? Don't car tires that accept studs are already factory made to accept them?

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found this old thread..

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I want to stud my stock tires..

Decided after today's ride.

will get summer rims and tires..

so what's the best plan?????

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I want to stud my stock tires..

Decided after today's ride.

will get summer rims and tires..

so what's the best plan?????

Dont know the best plan but I know a guy I ride with had them in his Can-am a couple years ago. Like king kris said they looked like sheet metal screws. kinda need to be careful as much if any driving on the highway will throw them out.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many screws did you put in each knob?

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd go with 5/8" Ray. Most of the bike shops have them, I bought a bunch from Casterland in Edmonton....$100 for a box of 1000. It's amazing how well they work. Just be careful on the ice....they don't allow a lot of drift.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many screws did you put in each knob?

I put 3 in each lug on my Bighorns...I think there was 660 studs in four tires....way overkill, but I had awesome traction. On bare ice ice, at a dead stop, I could smash the throttle and stuff it over backwards.

Attachments

• IMG_0588 (800x598).jpg
    IMG_0588 (800x598).jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 126

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can go at it a couple different ways.

1st way 1/2-5/8 stud in the knob as long as you have enough meat that you don't penetrate. Great way to do it and quickest. Might be wise to put some slime or equivenlent in the tire incase you penetrated and you throw a stud.

2nd way is to line the tire with old tire of smaller diameter and use a longer stud and screw through the lug and into the inside rubber. Then use a tube in the tire. Much more complicated but you see the serious racers using this method.

hedge

Reaction score
I originally bought the 1" screws but with my worn out tires they were too long, so I ordered some 3/4". I got a box of 500 and used most of them, so a bit less than 100 per tire. Only the first ride but didn't spot any missing yet. As grubby said, they sure grab, I went to swing the ass-end around in the parking lot and almost high-sided.

Apparantly the studs below are the cat's ass but $$$

http://www.gripstuds.com/

Last edited:

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of studding my stock tires. They have 500 km on them.

Top Bottom