Studding a 2.25" track

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is a strange question has anyone out there in S&M land studded a 2.25" track? When I am not sledding in the mountains I sled a lot of the trails in the Alberta foothills that have a lot of ice build up in some sections. I was wondering if there is a stud product out there for a deep lug track? Thanks

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I suspect it would add a lot of unwanted weight ( rotating mass) on a long tracked sled.

Mach1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hill climb guys put screws in the paddles.
Yes true but only for one purpose, I don't think you will get the full benefit you are looking for. I have raced lots on ice and found anything over 1.5 inches you start losing. The reason I tested this was sometimes when racing in was plus weather and needed more traction like paddles but go to long and adds weight and no gain. But like anything on this site 50% say yes and 50% say no, lol plus not cheap and lots of work, I found my best solution and you must try and learn. Good luck

britt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ah yes back in the day the Kalamazoo Gripper!!! But I understand the problem, I to have wondered how you could stud a deep lug track for icy conditions because when it comes down to it I probably do more sledding in Alberta than B.C. these days and wondered if there is something you can do with out changing your sled. Added weight is also a problem you have to think about.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is purely hypothetical. But if it were me I'd run an assault type track and put screw in studs in it.

I don't honestly see 2.25 inch studs being effective. Assuming they are even made.

images

images

Z

Z

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ice racing screw for bikes screwed into the paddles

s-l300.jpg

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You'd probably have a tough time with it. I know a few guys factory level. They've tested snocross tracks over the 1.75" mark and get a lot of pullouts with studs. Obvious the torque on the base of the track is a lot. I would imagine it would be worse with how thin the current mountain tracks already are.

I would consider going to a 1.75" track as I think the longest nail you can get right now is 1 7/8"

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You'd probably have a tough time with it. I know a few guys factory level. They've tested snocross tracks over the 1.75" mark and get a lot of pullouts with studs. Obvious the torque on the base of the track is a lot. I would imagine it would be worse with how thin the current mountain tracks already are.

I would consider going to a 1.75" track as I think the longest nail you can get right now is 1 7/8"

Back when I was racing, I believe the first year of the MXZX Rev platform came with a 1.625" track. Lots of guys didn't stud, but I did. Double backer plates were a must. Never had any track damage but bent a few studs. Like you said, there's no way you'd want any longer than that. I honestly think the OP is going to want to look at a different track like the competition track that you can get on the Polaris Assault and run screws.

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After close examination I am going to abandon the studding idea. There is no way I would get a stud into the paddles.

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the Very Bad part about these studs is the guy following you up a hill. these come out at very high speed and would go thru coats.shields, skin? i had em on my grizzly quad.spun going up a hill and my friend got 2 in the chest? so i put it in 4x4 and tryed not to spin after that.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Studding a 2.25" track

They are made. I was in Utv Canada the other day looking for studs that were long so they would stay in my tires better. Found carbide tipped 2.25” long ones. But I asked for a price of a box of 500 studs, $3100! And no that’s not a typo!

Top Bottom