Stuck set screw

Canadian_bacon

Reaction score
Hello all, I am replacing the track on a 1989 Polaris and have not been successful loosening the set screw on the lock collar on the jack shaft. I've used heat, fluid film, tapping the lock collar with a punch and hammer as well as a cordless 18v impact driver. No luck. So far, I haven't stripped the head but I can feel it's coming so before that happens, does anyone have another idea to get this thing out?

handyandy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try heating it with a torch, then spray some loctite freeze release on it until it is ice cold again. Try it a few times and it might loosen up. I use this method to get seized brake lines off and it works sometimes.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if it does strip out, tap a square easy out into the set screw. its worked for me in the past... or find the tap drill size of that thread and carefully drill it. Start small and work your way to the tap drill size, a small hole might even release the pressure on the threads. A Left hand drill bit set is worth its weight in gold sometimes

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Smack the collar fore and aft of the screw with a hammer then heat the whole collar. This should take the pressure off.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Left hand drill bits.
Drill it out if you're lucky the bit will grab and unthread it. Then replace with new after.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Canadian tire sells a cool dual piece set of extractors... Reverse grip and self drilling just for set screws and regular screws of all types... Have removed many seized screws and set screws with it... Small blue carry case, labelled mastercraft

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The best stuff I have ever seen for loosening seized nuts and bolts is called Kroil. We get it from Acklands, don't know who else sells it but it is great. ou may have to let it soak for a while but it has never failed me.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The best thing tests have proven is a 50% mixture of acetone and transmission fluid.

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Smack the collar fore and aft of the screw with a hammer then heat the whole collar. This should take the pressure off.

what he said^^^. it might be an eccentric lock style collar, which means its "collar locked" as well as the set screw. Giving it a little more "love" with some heat and a hammer and drift can't hurt. If you've got the right size allen key in the hole, an old trick is to twist it a bit and heat the collar at the same time (try not to heat the set screw directly but heat the collar) the rotational "pressure" on the set screw as the collar expands might let it pop loose.

If you strip it, you'll have to drill it, but either way, its gotta come out.

Top Bottom