Strapping down your toys

BigRed800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We went out this weekend on the way up my neighbor had a very serious incident. He put 2 500 polaris on his sled trailer behind his trailer used the winchs for the fronts and straps for rear The road is pretty rough he had stopped a few time About 1/2 way up the road he watched in horror as his quad went tumbling off into the ditch. We did some investigating and it seems the brake in the winch was weak so the winch let go and the small strap could not hold the quad So on the way home i put extra straps on not trusting my winchs We made it home with all our toys but could have been a different story if some one would have been going by at the same time . Take the extra time and put more straps on and check your loads I know every one will want to know about the quad sheared the headlight off 2 bent racks 3 bent rims bent bars we did some wiring started it with a screw driver and he drove the heck out of it

Superford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I heard that winches are not designed to be used as tie-downs as most only have a plastic gear inside. That gear may have let go in your case.

GRD

Reaction score
I could be wrong but I heard that winches are not designed to be used as tie-downs as most only have a plastic gear inside. That gear may have let go in your case.

Heard the same thing... Very lucky didn't meet anyone

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I was told in my ATV training course, that winches ARE NOT designed to be used as a tie down, the bouncing up and down that the quad does is VERY hard on the brake in the winch and as you have now seen the brake can and will let go. Use straps, on front and back.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Never ever ever use the winches.... tie down straps are much cheaper than winches and double them up 2 is always better than 1

cey800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not a quadder, but a good buddy of mine uses 2 5/16 chains that are 6ft long with quick hooks on either side from Princess Auto for about $5 each. He ties down the rear first and then goes to the front, he uses his winch to suck down the front of his machine. Ties down the front with the other chain, then releases the winch. Works reall well. No ratchets, boomers, etc. Don't have to worry about straps being cut because of sharp edges or rotting of the staps because of moisture. The chains may even keep the theives away....just a thought, seems to work very well

Sweigh

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
on a side note, does anyone have any recommendations for straps to use? I've seen all sorts, but I'd like to find "the" strap that will hold firm, possibly without requiring slack to be tied up and the hooks to be gentle on the machine. Anyone found a strap that works wonders for them?

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
the hooks to be gentle on the machine.

Dunno bout you but I take it out a beat the crap out of it, mudholes, bush, rocks, flopping it over once in a while thats part of the sport :D

With that being said I just use good ol ratchet straps those ones you tug to get tight I don't trust them, but use the wider not the skinny dollar store ones

Qub3d

Reaction score
With that being said I just use good ol ratchet straps those ones you tug to get tight I don't trust them, but use the wider not the skinny dollar store ones

Costco had a set of 4 Monster ratchet straps (800 lb per strap rating) which I use. You might want to check them out. They work great and don't bind like some of the cheaper ones out there. 20 bucks for 4. Only thing is that the hooks are a bit bigger but I haven't found a problem with them.

Sweigh

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Costco had a set of 4 Monster ratchet straps (800 lb per strap rating) which I use. You might want to check them out. They work great and don't bind like some of the cheaper ones out there. 20 bucks for 4. Only thing is that the hooks are a bit bigger but I haven't found a problem with them.

Sounds like a great deal, only issue I see having is making the hooks fit into the holes of the trailer. Plenty of workarounds to that though. I'll checkem out.

And yes I'm all about tearing it up on the quad, which in turn comes with the inevitable dents, scratches and whatnot... just prefer to have that sort of thing happening while I'm riding, and make sure the machine is safe and sound when it's all buckled in.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ratchet straps are the best. I use my quad a lot for work and i have never snapped a strap.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Have you ever taken apart your warn winch,the gears in the winch are made with plastic and there in a plastic case and they are not meant to tie down the quad. I tie mine down with 4 tie straps per quad and I do stop occasionally and check the quads on the trailer or even when its in the back of my truck.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The most important thing to consider when trailering any ATV is to Squish or Suck the machine down to the trailer as low as possible before securing it with tie downs. Most ATV's have alot of suspension travel and it is amazing how much bounce they get when traveling down a rough road at 100 km on a Spring leaf suspended trailer... it's kind of like compounding the spring rate on the ATV when it is on the trailer if you know what I mean. When the quad squats hard due to a major bump the straps slack and can let go. Not good.

In your case I would say the problem might have been that the quad was not sucked down enough. :confused: Just my imput. I always use the winch to suck down the front end and then use ratchet straps as well, front and rear.

:twocents:

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The most important thing to consider when trailering any ATV is to Squish or Suck the machine down to the trailer as low as possible before securing it with tie downs. Most ATV's have alot of suspension travel and it is amazing how much bounce they get when traveling down a rough road at 100 km on a Spring leaf suspended trailer... it's kind of like compounding the spring rate on the ATV when it is on the trailer if you know what I mean. When the quad squats hard due to a major bump the straps slack and can let go. Not good.

In your case I would say the problem might have been that the quad was not sucked down enough. :confused: Just my imput. I always use the winch to suck down the front end and then use ratchet straps as well, front and rear.

:twocents:
a machinist friend once gave me crap for using my winch as a tie-down. Said that the difference between a winch and a hoist is the spool lock....Also why you shouldn't use your winch for towing...it'll break.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Summiteer... thats good info. :) I agree... a winch is good security as a supplement to tiedowns... not to be used as a tiedown on it's own. Winch issues asside... when trailering an ATV, the most important thing is to suck them down to the trailer as tight and low as possible and eliminate the bouncing effect.

dragonlady

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

A note on the costco Monster straps I have two sets of those and I found my one set of four, foul and slip at times, took them back and found that set was faulty, just check if the locking plate is long enough over the wheel part. Some sets are short and some are longer, That is the ones with the red strap and grey handles.

Reaction score
I use ratchet straps also. Because I am into trucking I shop at places like Fort Garry Industries, Fleet Brake, Mayers, and Traction. If you spend a bit more money and get the ratchet straps we use in trucking you have a sturdy reliable strap with a strong ratchet winch. We have used the ones you buy for 20.00 at certain stores and have had nothing but problems with them. As soon as I went to FGI and bought four good ones I have had no more problems.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
....Also why you shouldn't use your winch for towing...it'll break.

Yup I carry rope to tow the cats home :p......and if someone is stuck and hook up to you I just hold the brakes and you winch your self out I don't drag out....if you break a winch you can still get home ....if I break an axle i'm pooched

Top Bottom