Steel and aluminum tariffs

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the US has a President that puts the President first and everyone else is second - namely his family, wealthy friends and celebrities. Really don't see much indication that he gives a damn about anyone else unless it suits him and then his concern is short lived.

Must be nice to have a president that puts his own country first.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the US has a President that puts the President first and everyone else is second - namely his family, wealthy friends and celebrities. Really don't see much indication that he gives a damn about anyone else unless it suits him and then his concern is short lived.
Other than the unemployment rate is down to lowest levels in the last 25years.

Markets are at record levels.

Trade deficits are narrowing.

North Korea is denuclearizing.

What is he doing that you wouldn't want the king of socks to do for our country?

Sounds like you don't like him on a personal level.

But really who gives a fawk if he can do the job well.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ohhhhh grasshopper you have so much to learn in the trade biz! I have been at it for 30 plus years and you have zero clue how it works. If it were so easy as you think it is why doesnt the US simply apply more aggressive tariffs against the Chinese when they have a trade imbalance of 380 billion with China which has been going on for years and years. Also, you forget that Canada buys more product from the US than they from Canada. So, yes we can huff and puff and make an impact towards 38 states who have Canada as their number 1 customer. At the end of the day both countries need each other and Trump's bully attitude is a joke. As we speak, I have 6 truck load of AB grain stuck at the border for various non-consequential reasons and will eventually get them thru. But this is costing Canadian growers/exporters a lot of money and headaches just because bonehead south of the border wants us to play by his rules in the sandbox but won't play by ours.

Youre right....I’m no trade expert....but I know lots about the nature and motivations of people who control others via their influence and ability to direct situations to their advantage be it political, economic or personal....and its the big dog that invariably gets his way....Trudeau, freeland and,to a much smaller degree, you with your 6 truckloads of grain are the small frogs in the pond...should the US government and steel industry decide Canadian steel producers need to be destroyed and the capacity absorbed into the American steel industry, the Canadian industry will cease to exist. Don’t disregard or underestimate malice and greed as political motivators. If someone high up in your industry decides out of spite that your truckloads of grain need to sit for a while longer, I’m betting they will. Economics be damned.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Softwood lumber has had tariffs imposed for over 2 years now and no one has gave a sh!t . Bombardier had 292% tariffs for a very short time... then it was gone, I wonder what sweet heart deal Trudeau made to make that go away. I bet you would never get a straight answer over that deal.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Lol, unbelievable how people can let their emotions take precedence over their common sense !! It's apparent you don't like him, so what, he's getting results for the people he promised that to. I say nice guy or not, good for him. We can only wish we had someone as dedicated and capable of improving Canada instead of screwing around with a bunch of floofy feel good bull$hit. Who cares if he's a nice guy .

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol, unbelievable how people can let their emotions take precedence over their common sense !! It's apparent you don't like him, so what, he's getting results for the people he promised that to. I say nice guy or not, good for him. We can only wish we had someone as dedicated and capable of improving Canada instead of screwing around with a bunch of floofy feel good bull$hit. Who cares if he's a nice guy .

Exactly. Trump doesn’t need to be a politician because he’s already rich. He doesn’t need to promote special interests and their agendas to feather his nest.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Absolutely true I do not like him on a personal level. None of the current economic success can really be directly related to his policy other than giving huge tax breaks to the most wealthy people in the US. Most of that money came from gutting the little bit of health care they had.

He is no better than Trudeau as they are simply opposite sides of the spectrum. Both are making problems that will take a long time to deal with.

Other than the unemployment rate is down to lowest levels in the last 25years.

Markets are at record levels.

Trade deficits are narrowing.

North Korea is denuclearizing.

What is he doing that you wouldn't want the king of socks to do for our country?

Sounds like you don't like him on a personal level.

But really who gives a fawk if he can do the job well.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Absolutely true I do not like him on a personal level. None of the current economic success can really be directly related to his policy other than giving huge tax breaks to the most wealthy people in the US. Most of that money came from gutting the little bit of health care they had.

He is no better than Trudeau as they are simply opposite sides of the spectrum. Both are making problems that will take a long time to deal with.
Right.
You see Trump writing cheaques for $100's of millions to foreign countries to combat climate change?

Funny how liberals vote with their feelings vs results.

Do you like JT's socks? Lol

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hell Trump does not even draw a wage, his personal fortune has dropped since taking office... and what about our nitwit. He has been in front of the ethics commissioner for ...stealing... money from the tax payer.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hell Trump does not even draw a wage, his personal fortune has dropped since taking office... and what about our nitwit. He has been in front of the ethics commissioner for ...stealing... money from the tax payer.
Was given a $2B surplus and is now balancing a $58B deficit.

But doesn't miss a pride parade.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It will balance itself after charging "working" Canadians an extra 2200 in income tax and 3000 in carbon taxes. Right on dipsh!ts you just voted in a 500 dollar a month payment.....so far!!!

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well two can play that game. I can understand we have a lesser chance if we sell more products to the USA than buy but Canada is in a unique position as its the opposite. Trump will eventually face a backlash from his own state senators once they feel the impact on the retaliatory tariffs Canada placed. Anyway, Trump's major headache will not come from Canada but China and Japan as those two countries own close to 3 trillion dollars worth of US debt. China's long term goal is to replace the dollar with the yuan as a global currency (Chinese are extremely patient). If they started to manipulate currencies Trump cannot do a whole lot and he knows that as it would increase US interest rates and economic growth. US is not the BIG DOG they used to be. My Chinese customer is already asking to pay in Euros now so its starting to happen.

Youre right....I’m no trade expert....but I know lots about the nature and motivations of people who control others via their influence and ability to direct situations to their advantage be it political, economic or personal....and its the big dog that invariably gets his way....Trudeau, freeland and,to a much smaller degree, you with your 6 truckloads of grain are the small frogs in the pond...should the US government and steel industry decide Canadian steel producers need to be destroyed and the capacity absorbed into the American steel industry, the Canadian industry will cease to exist. Don’t disregard or underestimate malice and greed as political motivators. If someone high up in your industry decides out of spite that your truckloads of grain need to sit for a while longer, I’m betting they will. Economics be damned.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trump already made the statement 5 months back....the usa has already lost the trade war with china years ago.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well two can play that game. I can understand we have a lesser chance if we sell more products to the USA than buy but Canada is in a unique position as its the opposite. Trump will eventually face a backlash from his own state senators once they feel the impact on the retaliatory tariffs Canada placed. Anyway, Trump's major headache will not come from Canada but China and Japan as those two countries own close to 3 trillion dollars worth of US debt. China's long term goal is to replace the dollar with the yuan as a global currency (Chinese are extremely patient). If they started to manipulate currencies Trump cannot do a whole lot and he knows that as it would increase US interest rates and economic growth. US is not the BIG DOG they used to be. My Chinese customer is already asking to pay in Euros now so its starting to happen.
It surprises me that we don't yet have a global currency.

How do you see that playing out with so much Chinese owned debt?

They are trying to own more USD than the US?

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
cashless world currency, run by Rothschild dream team...… and its gone.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats what the Europeans wanted to do with the Euro but Europe is not united enough to make it work within so how can they expect to have other countries supporting it. I doubt the Chinese want to own more than the 21 trillion debt the US holds now but enough to strongly influence the US and keep them in line. I hate to say this but eventually we will be answering to Chinese foreign demands not the US. Maybe not in my time but it will come. We also cant forget the Arabs. They hold a lot of US debt as well. They only thing US has going for themselves is the massive consumer market but that will change eventually as well. My Chinese customer was telling me their $100,000,000 plant being built as we speak is 3 months delayed due to of all things labour shortage. Cant find enough workers. Go figure!!

It surprises me that we don't yet have a global currency.

How do you see that playing out with so much Chinese owned debt?

They are trying to own more USD than the US?

Top Bottom