Stay in Alberta or move to BC?

Emmaa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You won't have a problem finding a sitter. :nopics:

:d

The best thing my parents ever did for me was move from Edmonton to Kelowna when I was 6. I go back there to see relatives and I'm homesick in less than 24 hours. People talk about there being so much money in Alberta, OK, in the oil fields but where else? IMO southern BC is one of the most beautiful, versatile places on the planet. You couldn't pay me any amount of money to leave here.....Ok well maybe there is an amount but no one would ever offer me that much.:d:beer:

I hear ya! I am SO glad I was born and raised in BC. I go back all the time, but ever since I moved to Sylvan its just that much to far of a drive. I would list the house tomorrow and not even bat an eye....its the other half that I have to keep in mind. He says its up to me...I think hes trying to trick me :p

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
emma get a sitter, will find you a place for your POS sled, you can ride in silent pass with us and get all the bc feeling you'll need. we are leaving on the 3rd thurs, so no bs get your crap together and lets ride. PS bring thong:d

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My mom lives just down the road from Momma. My dad was born and raised in Trail and we had a cabin near Kaslo on the Kootenay Lake for 20 years. Sledding in Revy/Golden....man, I tell ya, every time I go to BC I hate coming home. Just can't afford to retire just yet.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not making as much money is whatever, not having to deal with the line of traffic heading from the east every friday/sunday easily makes up the difference.

Think about the time you spend sitting in your car during your morning commute/weekend trips and you realize how much less life you actually live.

MUDISFUN

Reaction score
Hi Momma,
I am actually from Nakusp, born in Nelson, hubby is from Salmon Arm so I am somewhere around that area all the time. Been in Alberta 12 years and it still sucks just as much as the day I came here lol. Born and raised in BC...gonna be hard to live anywhere else and actually like it. We live on an acreage but its still no lakes, no mountains, no warm weather. The hubby is oilfield so will always work in Alberta. I can work whereever. Just trying to figure out if it would be 'worth it' or if it would be screwing ourselves because the economy, taxes, gov't there is so shitty. Plus the travel time for the hubby. :confused:

You just answered your own question. I was born and raised in Alberta, and proud of it. Nothing is more irritating than people who come from out of province to work, and then complain about the province that puts food on there table. If you don't like Alberta, leave. I'm not trying to be rude but lets get real, if everywhere that people come from is so great, why are they all in Alberta? :rant:

hypnotoad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You just answered your own question. I was born and raised in Alberta, and proud of it. Nothing is more irritating than people who come from out of province to work, and then complain about the province that puts food on there table. If you don't like Alberta, leave. I'm not trying to be rude but lets get real, if everywhere that people come from is so great, why are they all in Alberta? :rant:

it's simple that is where the jobs are. born and raised in alberta, and really like it here. but like dave said, each time i drive home from BC i hate the drive more and more.

JayBec

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Think more..... leather and a thong Imdoo'n ;)
the smell of leather when women wear it, all men think about is a new truck, an now that their is a thong involved well now its the back seat of a new leather truck...

MUDISFUN

Reaction score
it's simple that is where the jobs are. born and raised in alberta, and really like it here. but like dave said, each time i drive home from BC i hate the drive more and more.

My point exactly! Come to Alberta make a decent leaving and quit complaining. Or the complainers can stay where they are, pay ther 5 taxes on everything they buy and eat KD for supper. :mad: Its so simple.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I lived in Alberta for 3 years and that is all I could handle without being in the mountains (raised in Golden and wife in Salmon Arm). Moved to Armstrong 16 years ago and you could not pry me from this place. Summers are the best, winters are great and close to kelowna with a good airport for travel which I do extensively for overseas. I have several friends that work in Alberta and prefer to commute back and forth instead of moving. The extra cost to live here is well worth it for the lifestyle. I just got back from Europe and UK on Friday and soooooo look forward to seeing this valley every time. Just my 2 cents worth!:d

Emmaa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My point exactly! Come to Alberta make a decent leaving and quit complaining. Or the complainers can stay where they are, pay ther 5 taxes on everything they buy and eat KD for supper. :mad: Its so simple.

Dont get yer panties in such a bunch....its not complaining, its called a CONVERSATION......seeing what works for others commuting, working in one and living in another, pro's and con's....have a beer, relax and pull that ch!t outta yer ass.

MUDISFUN

Reaction score
Hi Momma,
I am actually from Nakusp, born in Nelson, hubby is from Salmon Arm so I am somewhere around that area all the time. Been in Alberta 12 years and it still sucks just as much as the day I came here lol. Born and raised in BC...gonna be hard to live anywhere else and actually like it. We live on an acreage but its still no lakes, no mountains, no warm weather. The hubby is oilfield so will always work in Alberta. I can work whereever. Just trying to figure out if it would be 'worth it' or if it would be screwing ourselves because the economy, taxes, gov't there is so shitty. Plus the travel time for the hubby. :confused:

Dont get yer panties in such a bunch....its not complaining, its called a CONVERSATION......seeing what works for others commuting, working in one and living in another, pro's and con's....have a beer, relax and pull that ch!t outta yer ass.

In Alberta this is called complaining Been in Alberta 12 years and it still sucks just as much as the day I came here lol. I've worked in the oil patch for 20+ years, and met hundreds of out of province workers, most of which complained about being here. You can imagine how nauseating that would get after awhile. I have no problem with people from any province coming here to make a living, but if it sucks to be in Alberta so much, why come by the friggin bus load. So this comment, relax and pull that ch!t outta yer ass. All I can say is, to all you out of province workers collecting a big fat paycheck off of Alberta resources and then having the gall to bitch and moan about being here. I'll pull it out of my ass if you stick it up yours!!!! Oh I only wear panties in the summer! Too cold right now.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
this is my dilema of the day! Lol to stay in alberta, keep the house and renovate it....or......sell, move to salmon arm area and the hubby goes back n forth to work in alberta. Alberta ~ taxes are better and quadding is way better. Bc ~ almost everything else is better except the above 2. Input? Anyone doing the dual province thing?

dam....... And you're still here, why?????

I'd be gone to bc in a heartbeat.......................

finkous

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ric, you say you would be gone in a heartbeat... i say the same thing, but what the hell is keepin us here? is it the fear of the unknown? scared of change? or is living in alberta that much better when it comes to work? heck, i've even thought about selling the farm and find a little hut on the beach somewhere warm and sell coconuts and homemade beads, but i'm still here fightin the cold weather and nothing to do

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am from Kelowna and yes the sunshine tax sucks but its hard too beat the close recreation.It takes me 40 mins from my door to go sledding and 15mins to go quadding.I don't even own a boat but everyone knows how great the big lake is.Camping in the mountains is an hour away.The biggest attraction to Alta is the Jobs and the 5% only tax other than that the red license plates in Kelowna from May to Sept are overwelming.I Hunt as well and I know that Alta has us beat there.Would Imove to Alta? only if I was 21 and needed a decent job

Emmaa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am from Kelowna and yes the sunshine tax sucks but its hard too beat the close recreation.It takes me 40 mins from my door to go sledding and 15mins to go quadding.I don't even own a boat but everyone knows how great the big lake is.Camping in the mountains is an hour away.The biggest attraction to Alta is the Jobs and the 5% only tax other than that the red license plates in Kelowna from May to Sept are overwelming.I Hunt as well and I know that Alta has us beat there.Would Imove to Alta? only if I was 21 and needed a decent job

I can sled and quad right off my deck or else drive 40 mins out by Rocky Mountain House. Its mostly the long cold winters and then the summers havent been that great either that bug me. :beer: Maybe a lake lot would be enough.

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ric, you say you would be gone in a heartbeat... i say the same thing, but what the hell is keepin us here? is it the fear of the unknown? scared of change? or is living in alberta that much better when it comes to work? heck, i've even thought about selling the farm and find a little hut on the beach somewhere warm and sell coconuts and homemade beads, but i'm still here fightin the cold weather and nothing to do

Truer words have never been spoken !!!!!!

My thoughts exactly !!!!!!!

Emmaa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In Alberta this is called complaining Been in Alberta 12 years and it still sucks just as much as the day I came here lol. I've worked in the oil patch for 20+ years, and met hundreds of out of province workers, most of which complained about being here. You can imagine how nauseating that would get after awhile. I have no problem with people from any province coming here to make a living, but if it sucks to be in Alberta so much, why come by the friggin bus load. So this comment, relax and pull that ch!t outta yer ass. All I can say is, to all you out of province workers collecting a big fat paycheck off of Alberta resources and then having the gall to bitch and moan about being here. I'll pull it out of my ass if you stick it up yours!!!! Oh I only wear panties in the summer! Too cold right now.

:alol2:

Top Bottom