BC vs Alberta

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys, I appreciate it. Good to know especially about the Kootnenay area. Castlegar doesn't look terrible. That being said, we've also thought a lot about Cochrane, Red Deer area or maybe Okotoks.

Tough call!!

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another vote for Creston B C.... every outdoor sport you can imagine, a hospital, an hour to Cranbrook for canadian flights, an hour and a half (give or take a bit) to spokane washington for cheap US and overseas flights. Bonners ferry and sand point idaho half and hour south for cheap US fuel and groceries, and in coeurd'alene you can pick up the interstate for a quick trip to the coast, much quicker than going through BC.

The climate is almost identical to Kelowna in the summer, with similar winter temps in the valley bottom, with mega snow half an hour away in the higher altitudes. I've even got a 7.5 acre plot of land overlooking the wildlife centre I'll sell you !!!

Did you just write that you can travel 3 hours for cheap groceries and fuel? You must be filling up a truck and trailer to make worth while

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys, I appreciate it. Good to know especially about the Kootnenay area. Castlegar doesn't look terrible. That being said, we've also thought a lot about Cochrane, Red Deer area or maybe Okotoks.

Tough call!!

Yes, it is a tough call. If our health fails, we will have to look for a place with medical services (Elkford has just a clinic and the hospital is in Fernie but the bigger/better hospital is in Cranbrook) and I don't know if we will stay in BC or go to Alberta. I understand totally on the tough call!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Did you just write that you can travel 3 hours for cheap groceries and fuel? You must be filling up a truck and trailer to make worth while

Not uncommon in this corner of the province! Easily $0.20/liter cheaper for fuel, 7% cheaper for purchases that are taxable, most groceries are considerably cheaper in Lethbridge, meals are cheaper, hotels are cheaper, etc..

We have to drive anyways (BRP dealer for service and parts, vehicle dealers, sometimes medical trips, Costco runs, construction material, tires, clothes, etc.) at least to Blairmore or Fernie. No tax in Blairmore, Pincher another 1/2 hour but still cheaper, Lethbridge another half hour and cheaper yet.

If we have something come to the postal outlet in Montana, we try to make it pay as well (butter $2.50 a pound, cheese is cheaper, etc.) and naturally gas at $3.50/gallon is by far the best bet. The processed food is more expensive as there is duty.

Where there is a will there is a way!

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey what is health care costing you Albertans? Ie, are you paying a premium for your spouse kids. Last time I lived in AB I was a student and covered under parents plan in BC. Yeesh.

in BC, my employer paid the MSP premium for me, but I paid for my wife, who was a student, at the time. I paid 30 a month for her.

Here in the Yukon, I don't pay anything. Whether you have a job or not, your getting the same basic health care. Thoughts on this? Anything else...cost of living wise seems better the Alberta route.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have a look at invermere. nice lake, great sledding, ski resort, amazing fishing, college, good schools, 3 hrs to Calgary and house prices are coming down.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey what is health care costing you Albertans? Ie, are you paying a premium for your spouse kids. Last time I lived in AB I was a student and covered under parents plan in BC. Yeesh.

in BC, my employer paid the MSP premium for me, but I paid for my wife, who was a student, at the time. I paid 30 a month for her.

Here in the Yukon, I don't pay anything. Whether you have a job or not, your getting the same basic health care. Thoughts on this? Anything else...cost of living wise seems better the Alberta route.

Alberta no longer charges for Alberta Health Care. However, if you are new or returning to Alberta, you must register before you can be covered.

sicamoose

Reaction score
I live in Vernon. I enjoy sledding, snowboarding, fishing, boating, hiking, camping, quading, mountain biking, etc etc. My wife and I often talk about moving (she is from Red Deer). 100% of the time we end up agreeing we have the best of all worlds right here! There are some high/low points but OVERALL we love it here. We live in a log home on an acreage 5 minutes to the ski hill and five minutes from downtown.

Basically any activity you can think of is within 20 minutes from downtown (camping and sledding a tad more).

Kelowna airport is 30 minutes away.

I find housing prices reasonable.

good luck with your search!

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been in Cochrane for 10 years now I can't think of any other place I'd rather live. Small town feel with Calgary shopping nearby. Close to the mountains and half way between McLean creek and Waiporous, 2 good toy dealers in town. Everyone here is very active. Kids won't grow up with the gang bangers in the city.

Top Bottom