Stay in Alberta or move to BC?

Emmaa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is my dilema of the day! lol To stay in Alberta, keep the house and renovate it....or......sell, move to Salmon Arm area and the hubby goes back n forth to work in Alberta. Alberta ~ taxes are better and quadding is WAY better. BC ~ almost everything else is better except the above 2. Input? Anyone doing the dual province thing?

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is my dilema of the day! lol To stay in Alberta, keep the house and renovate it....or......sell, move to Salmon Arm area and the hubby goes back n forth to work in Alberta. Alberta ~ taxes are better and quadding is WAY better. BC ~ almost everything else is better except the above 2. Input? Anyone doing the dual province thing?

Hi Emma, I was an Albertan who moved to BC. It really is a choice of lifestyle and what is important to you. I find that living in BC there are certain consessions that have to be made. Sometimes stuff costs more here, (BC bring cash) but the payoffs are amazing. I have never ever regretted moving to BC. It is nurturing and kind. Life seems to slow down a little, giving you time to breathe.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

quadding in bc rocks taxes suck.

Emmaa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Momma,
I am actually from Nakusp, born in Nelson, hubby is from Salmon Arm so I am somewhere around that area all the time. Been in Alberta 12 years and it still sucks just as much as the day I came here lol. Born and raised in BC...gonna be hard to live anywhere else and actually like it. We live on an acreage but its still no lakes, no mountains, no warm weather. The hubby is oilfield so will always work in Alberta. I can work whereever. Just trying to figure out if it would be 'worth it' or if it would be screwing ourselves because the economy, taxes, gov't there is so shitty. Plus the travel time for the hubby. :confused:

Emmaa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
quadding in bc rocks taxes suck.

No it doesnt...... Alberta is way better. Not driving through some hippies livingroom that has decided to make a 'home' out in the middle of nowhere to be green and searching for the bar of soap that has apparently gone missing.

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Were thinking of the same thing.........moved to a nice small town to raise a family and I end up still away 80% of the time......i told moma to look for a place for her and the boy and i'll keep on keeping on........Provide the $$ so she can raise the boy proper and live someplace she wants to be..................A happy wife makes for* a happy life..But i wish i could be home more 2.....ohh well everyone sacrifices.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Momma,
I am actually from Nakusp, born in Nelson, hubby is from Salmon Arm so I am somewhere around that area all the time. Been in Alberta 12 years and it still sucks just as much as the day I came here lol. Born and raised in BC...gonna be hard to live anywhere else and actually like it. We live on an acreage but its still no lakes, no mountains, no warm weather. The hubby is oilfield so will always work in Alberta. I can work whereever. Just trying to figure out if it would be 'worth it' or if it would be screwing ourselves because the economy, taxes, gov't there is so shitty. Plus the travel time for the hubby. :confused:

That's right Emma! we've talked about Nakusp!! my bucket list place to go. My ex worked oilfield. There was something different with the gst, once he worked here he didn't have to pay it like when he was an albertan. Now there is HST so I imagine there is some sort of loop to jump through once you have residency in BC. An accountant could answer that better I'm sure. . We had a limited business in an alberta numbered company.

I say do it. You know BC, once it's in your heart, there's no going back. lol.

But go back to Nakusp and I'll come visit!! lol. I so want to go there this year.. it's only 3 hours from where I live.

benclaluna450r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No it doesnt...... Alberta is way better. Not driving through some hippies livingroom that has decided to make a 'home' out in the middle of nowhere to be green and searching for the bar of soap that has apparently gone missing.

^^^^ hahahaha dam tree hugging hippes

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

haa haaa... Ok...I'm slightly hippie ish.. but a clean freak and know a razor well.... that being said... the creepiest thing we ever came across when quadding/ dirt biking was 2 years ago.
I had my 4 kids and my step daughter with me, and we were headed home from riding up the mountain. We could bike right from our place. Suddenly this creepy dude jumps out from the bushes, out of nowhere with a gun. I stopped and the momma bear in me came out. I looked hippie enough for him to wish me well and we went on our way.. I figure a grow op guard was his main occupation... that part of bc I can do without.

Emmaa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Were thinking of the same thing.........moved to a nice small town to raise a family and I end up still away 80% of the time......i told moma to look for a place for her and the boy and i'll keep on keeping on........Provide the $$ so she can raise the boy proper and live someplace she wants to be..................A happy wife makes for* a happy life..But i wish i could be home more 2.....ohh well everyone sacrifices.

Ya thats the same here....hubby works away for weeks on end anyways, so what would the diff be on where we lived. We dont see him anyways!

That's right Emma! we've talked about Nakusp!! my bucket list place to go. My ex worked oilfield. There was something different with the gst, once he worked here he didn't have to pay it like when he was an albertan. Now there is HST so I imagine there is some sort of loop to jump through once you have residency in BC. An accountant could answer that better I'm sure. . We had a limited business in an alberta numbered company.

I say do it. You know BC, once it's in your heart, there's no going back. lol.

But go back to Nakusp and I'll come visit!! lol. I so want to go there this year.. it's only 3 hours from where I live.

NOT A CHANCE IN HELL I WOULD MOVE BACK THERE MOMMA!! lol

^^^^ hahahaha dam tree hugging hippes

I have issues with hippies....what can I say! :p

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

LMAO sh@t you have qauded here,but no body chasing you off there land and the mountain rides are awsome.:beer:

finkous

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i took a week holiday and stayed in nelson, nakusp, kaslo, and stopped in other little towns along the way... absolutely loooved nelson, and would consider living there, it was sooo layed back and relaxing and a beautiful setting. but i've been a albertin all my life and it would a tough move for me, are the taxes more or less than ab, what about healthcare, at one time albertas was pretty good but that seems to be getting worse, and what about the economy of these little towns and their ideas of newcomers moving in? i'm ticketed in plumbing, gas fitting and autobody and is not scared of doing whatever... but deep down i think it would just be a dream that i never do

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i took a week holiday and stayed in nelson, nakusp, kaslo, and stopped in other little towns along the way... absolutely loooved nelson, and would consider living there, it was sooo layed back and relaxing and a beautiful setting. but i've been a albertin all my life and it would a tough move for me, are the taxes more or less than ab, what about healthcare, at one time albertas was pretty good but that seems to be getting worse, and what about the economy of these little towns and their ideas of newcomers moving in? i'm ticketed in plumbing, gas fitting and autobody and is not scared of doing whatever... but deep down i think it would just be a dream that i never do

That's how most people come to live here..they visit then fall in love. I'm in the Creston Valley. I chose it as it is agricultural with a slight hippie flair..... very artistic yet grounded at the same time. The Koots scream for trades people. I know that development is just starting to boom here. Big chain hotel going up amongst other businesses. It costs more to live here sometimes but you adapt. We grow our own veggies, and because of the abundance of orchards in the area, your cold room bursts full of produce. People are very generous. There is a rule here, you know you have friends in Creston when you've been given a zuchinni. lol. You will get LOTS of zuchinni.....and squash.. i chose Creston over Nelson as I loved the small town agriculture feel of the Creston Valley..

Emmaa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Moving into a small town like Nakusp is NOT fun if you dont know anyone there. Its to small. The people there suck towards new people. Nelson, Kaslo, New Denver are all really hippyish. Nelson is big enough that you can avaoid them for the most part. I know alot of people there so could easily move back there and not have a problem. But its to far a commute to Alberta and having to chance the Salmo/Creston pass would suck. The closest airport is Castlegar but its fogged in alot of the time and then you are screwed. Unless of course you dont mind driving the 4 hours from Penticton...because thats where you will end up. Now that logging is gone, alot of these towns are going to be in trouble. All the guys I know are working down at the coast in camps, or in Ft Mac. Plus there are zero jobs for the wives/girlfriends.

Emmaa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's how most people come to live here..they visit then fall in love. I'm in the Creston Valley. I chose it as it is agricultural with a slight hippie flair..... very artistic yet grounded at the same time. The Koots scream for trades people. I know that development is just starting to boom here. Big chain hotel going up amongst other businesses. It costs more to live here sometimes but you adapt. We grow our own veggies, and because of the abundance of orchards in the area, your cold room bursts full of produce. People are very generous. There is a rule here, you know you have friends in Creston when you've been given a zuchinni. lol. You will get LOTS of zuchinni.....and squash.. i chose Creston over Nelson as I loved the small town agriculture feel of the Creston Valley..

mmmmm zuchinni is yummy. :p

I would never move to Cranbrook/Creston area due to the fact that I am from the opposite end of the Kootenays. Closer to the Okanagan and the lakes are warmer.

benclaluna450r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya thats the same here....hubby works away for weeks on end anyways, so what would the diff be on where we lived. We dont see him anyways!

NOT A CHANCE IN HELL I WOULD MOVE BACK THERE MOMMA!! lol

I have issues with hippies....what can I say! :p
dont we all

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we were talking about this the other day.. kind of have to diversify... I teach music.. do massage/holistic stuff, teach PE, and sometimes run equipment. It's not an easy life for the person who is used to a huge income set in stone, but like I said before I wouldn't trade my lifestyle for anything.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mmmmm zuchinni is yummy. :p

I would never move to Cranbrook/Creston area due to the fact that I am from the opposite end of the Kootenays. Closer to the Okanagan and the lakes are warmer.

ha haa! yup wayyy warmer.... my parents live in Summerland.. when the kids swim in OK lake they think it's like a warm bath! lol...
Kootenay Lake is freeeezing sometimes.. but holy smokers wicked fishing!

Top Bottom