Starting a new trade being older

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well that sucks. Sorry to hear this news.
I hear ya, 41 years out of school...
Well yesterday was a kick to the nuts...after 32 years of service at the same trucking company I was let go for "restructuring". Five of us, two guys with 44 years, one with 10, another with 1. Going to be tough finding a gig at 58 years old with the whole country shut down due to covid-19. Starting a new trade at this time would put me at retirement age by the time schooling is completed. Hmmm.

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well yesterday was a kick to the nuts...after 32 years of service at the same trucking company I was let go for "restructuring". Five of us, two guys with 44 years, one with 10, another with 1. Going to be tough finding a gig at 58 years old with the whole country shut down due to covid-19. Starting a new trade at this time would put me at retirement age by the time schooling is completed. Hmmm.
Sorry to hear that. I went back to school at 38 and was worried about going to school for 4 years and being 42 when done, my father in law said you will be 42 in 4 years whether you go to school or not, i guess sometimes you just need to look at things differently. With a trade you could do side work and pick and choose your work/ hours.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about trying for Phychologist. Sounds like everyone is going to end up with problems here soon and it's only been like 1 1/2 months. I know it can be a tough gig too but sometimes it seems all you have to do is be a good listener and have a percription pad.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As of now it looks like I will be off to a new adventure as well. With the way things are going might as well try and get ahead of all this rather than doing the same thing over and over

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As of now it looks like I will be off to a new adventure as well. With the way things are going might as well try and get ahead of all this rather than doing the same thing over and over
Probably not a bad call, going to be a long breakup this year.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like how much work my bnl has a picker truck sittin in Enderby looking for something to do

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like how much work my bnl has a picker truck sittin in Enderby looking for something to do
It's breakup, everybody is sitting and will be for awhile yet with current lumber and plywood markets.

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind becoming a farmer - I might try to see if I can get some kinda loan to become a farmer when this lockdown is over

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind becoming a farmer - I might try to see if I can get some kinda loan to become a farmer when this lockdown is over

Going to be extra hard, watch as cattle and pork prices start to tank. They are already throwing out milk and vegetables, no decline in prices at the stores though. Just like the refineries, the dairy plants are over stocked. I wonder what the grain farmers have planned

rebel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well fml - I dunno what to do - I might have to move somewhere that has a demand for someone like me - cuz where I'm at there isn't enough demand
Sorry.
I thought about it and should have said the cheapest way is join a colony.
If you have good credit you could become a farmer tomorrow if you want

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m curious to see what trade school is going to be like come fall. If we’re open, will there be anyone wanting to lose more time out of work? I’ve got one apprentice just wrapping up his apprenticeship and one just started. Your never to old to start a trade. Our country is funded on trades. It will be what holds us together.

luvz da mud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There’s the gob and grind guys and then there’s the guys who are true artists with their craft. When you see a good welder, it’s impressive.

IMG_2555.JPG

Bikeswithtrax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Driver, mechanic, or ?

Top Bottom