Starting a new trade being older

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No sense in starting a new trade if there’s no work, some trades are dead right now, also some trades that are more commercial driven then oilfield can have next to no OT but lots more opportunity working for cash so might be better.

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
Speaking of work, Anyone consider power engineering?

Coming from a Millwright who spent 13 years at a gas plant that had all the way up to 1st class steam tickets it's a pretty good job. Only problem is most are rotating days and night shift.

I also think the Alberta boilers branch needs to pull their heads out of their ass and set it up as a proper trade. The way they do it is dumb. It's still based like the 60's and some operators end up with a weird entitlement and sense of their education. They have to answer questions on electrical and mechanical theory there is no need to know. Then they say they are as qualified as an electrician and it would technically be illegal to try and do what they think they are capable of. Just my perspective.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No sense in starting a new trade if there’s no work, some trades are dead right now, also some trades that are more commercial driven then oilfield can have next to no OT but lots more opportunity working for cash so might be better.
I was told the same thing in 1989 by my highschool career councilor and look what happened in Alberta shorty after that.
Trades are never dead.
I went to NAIT for Power Engineering instead.

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Coming from a Millwright who spent 13 years at a gas plant that had all the way up to 1st class steam tickets it's a pretty good job. Only problem is most are rotating days and night shift.

I also think the Alberta boilers branch needs to pull their heads out of their ass and set it up as a proper trade. The way they do it is dumb. It's still based like the 60's and some operators end up with a weird entitlement and sense of their education. They have to answer questions on electrical and mechanical theory there is no need to know. Then they say they are as qualified as an electrician and it would technically be illegal to try and do what they think they are capable of. Just my perspective.

I agree with some of this they could modify it to make it better. Thing with power engineering is you have to be the jack of all trades master of none instrument techs, electricians, millwrights are not around 24/7 like us so to be good at it you have to have overall knowledge of everything troubleshooting skills and ability to process things very quickly under pressure are a must. The beauty of it is employment is stable money is great and so is time off. Negatives for some is nights I also think there is value for some trades to have side hustle. MW and Electricians can do a lot of work on the side if they want it for cash. Not an option in PE. It’s been great to me that is for sure.

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told the same thing in 1989 by my highschool career councilor and look what happened in Alberta shorty after that.
Trades are never dead.
I went to NAIT for Power Engineering instead.
I’m a successful tradesmen myself, I’m just saying to consider everything some trades suck shat.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yup, I actually started it and the mill in Revi was going to pay for it but was blinded by the easy fast money of the rigs. Looking back I loved my job but wish I had gone the power engineering route

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At work, we have 2 Journeyman electricians apprenticing in Refrigeration, one a master electrician which is great for us. Sounds like the last group of students at SAIT for HVAC/refrigeration were 1/3 electricians starting into this trade. Both are great additions to our company and are miles ahead of the typical fresh-from-high school kids we get.

overkill19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There’s stick sh!t together and hoping it holds, then there’s actual welding knowing it’s good. Come watch me tig a piece of stainless steel pressure piping together. Where you need to follow strict procedures to maintain the properties of the stainless. Then you will be singing a different tune.

Saw this and thought of this thread.... it’s sweet! I wish I could weld 1/100 of this talent!

overkill19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone thinking of or getting into the fire side of things. I know these are 2012 stuff but still lots of good info, not sure why I only have 2012 stuff at home , I go every year? Must be at work I guess . Anyway if anyone wants this stuff you can have it.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was a summer student in a large steam plant for two summer but missed my third summer due to cutbacks in the 2009 recession. The 3rd summer would have given me enough firing time to write for my 4th class and I probably would have done it since it's pretty straight forward.

Beer Slayer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone here started a new career-trade after being out of school for over 20 years? Certainly not getting any younger but it's time for a change!
A little concerned about the lack of memory after killing too many brain cells over the years:( That and the thought of going to school with a bunch of young kids is certainly a turn off. Thoughts?

I hear ya, 41 years out of school...
Well yesterday was a kick to the nuts...after 32 years of service at the same trucking company I was let go for "restructuring". Five of us, two guys with 44 years, one with 10, another with 1. Going to be tough finding a gig at 58 years old with the whole country shut down due to covid-19. Starting a new trade at this time would put me at retirement age by the time schooling is completed. Hmmm.

Top Bottom