Starter bike

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All depends, how much do you and the girlfriend weigh? if you are lighter, it may be fine, not a rocket, but for touring fine. if you comine out at 500+, you might want a little extra power.

ya together were well under 400lbs looked at HP ratings and this is what i got

Honda shadow hp/trq 44/46 dry weight of 503lbs
Sportster 883 hp/trq 53/51 dry weight of 559lbs
Sportster 1200 hp/trq 70/79 dry weight of 562lbs
Suzuki boulevard hp/trq 44/42 dry weight of 540lbs

So ive narrowed my choices down to either a shadow or a 1200 sportster shadow has $$$ edge. As well as Hondas hava a rep for running for ever vs the shake raddle and roll harley is known for.

Source's

2005 Suzuki M50 Boulevard - Motorcycle.com

Hillclimber

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well all this talk of bikes makes me want to go for a ride lol well heres a pic of my 2006 vulcan 900 classic lt

Attachments

• 100_0522.jpg
    100_0522.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 100_0525.jpg
    100_0525.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 100_0530.jpg
    100_0530.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 51

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya together were well under 400lbs looked at HP ratings and this is what i got

Honda shadow hp/trq 44/46 dry weight of 503lbs
Sportster 883 hp/trq 53/51 dry weight of 559lbs
Sportster 1200 hp/trq 70/79 dry weight of 562lbs
Suzuki boulevard hp/trq 44/42 dry weight of 540lbs

So ive narrowed my choices down to either a shadow or a 1200 sportster shadow has $$$ edge. As well as Hondas hava a rep for running for ever vs the shake raddle and roll harley is known for.

Source's

2005 Suzuki M50 Boulevard - Motorcycle.com

I love making fun of HD riders - They're a long shot from having the best reliability or newest technology. HOWEVER, you have to notice the resale value factor, and in the lineup you have there, the Sporty has 60 - 90% more torque than the others. I'd do some research on them and sit on a few but I think I'd lean towards the Sporty.

The only thing is if you get it you'll have to factor in another $300 in the budget so you can have a different "Harley" Tee shirt for every day of the week......;)

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends how big you and wife are..i know touchy subject.....but i'm 6'1" 290 lbs my wife is 5' 101 lbs...the c50 (about an 800) was way to small for us and on highway was way under powered. You need a little throttle reserve to get out of some situations if your heavy into the throttle on highway to maintain speed and don't have much oomph left for passing or climbing could get into some trouble. We do lots of trips to jasper and banff and some pretty good climbs in there so I went for the c90t (1500) the saddle bags are great and nice to have windshield but heavier bike 640 lbs. Can't go wrong for the best bang for your buck (allin i paid 12,500 )

Wow i didn't read to far into thread got excited about bikin and posted ...... until came across Cameo post mine kind of redundent now...

Attachments

• Assorted (78).jpg
    Assorted (78).jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

ajay

Reaction score
First thing i did was take a training class. I did, been riding dirt all my life, thought I knew it all, and man did I learn a lot at the class. I went t TNT in the west end.
I bought a couple of 84 V65 Magnas for $4k, and split with a buddy. cheap to start at $2 each, but had do do some wrenching. big/fast bike for a newbie, but since we both had a lot of time on the saddle, not too bad. had mine for 2 years, buddy still has his...4sale I think.
I now have a VTX1800...simular bike, as in Sport cruiser, kind of thing from the V65. man the VTX is a blast on the highway, and quick, and smooth, and I like it. :)

Good luck, have fun, and see you out there. :)

Heh, I did exactly that. Picked up a mint 83 V65 Magna in 04 to get back into riding(always wanted one when they came out) and I absolutely have a blast driving it, picked up a V30 Magna for the wife too. Now kinda want to upgrade but have a real hard time of letting the V65 go. Wife looking at a Suzuki Volusia or Boulavard. I may do the same but gonna be tough to let the magna sit. I think the C50 is a good starter IMO. If you don't have your licence yet I recomend taking the course. I know lots of people that have and come out with their licence and a lot that had to go 2-3 times at the regular registry office road test.
Have a good one!
Ajay

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well went down to harley .....got approved for a 01 dyna wide glide with stage 1kit :d ...........The mrs loves the bike as do i but interest is a bit high(15%!!!!!) so im thinkin a line of credit and i will just throw my credit card ballance on with the bike.....But im pretty sure a found my baby!!!!!:d:d:beer::beer:

pic from cell so sry about quality.

Attachments

• 01 dana.jpg
    01 dana.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 54

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Before you go buy a bike check into insurance, there are many places that will charge you both of your boys and some bikes wont even do them. Not typical with tour bikes or crusiers.

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also rode dirt all my life on the farm, started out on a sportster 883 custom only rode it a season before upgrading into a 100th ann. soft tail standard EFI. You won't regret the Dyna they have a beautiful ride and look good too. As other have mentioned i initally enrolled in a course to bring my insur rates down but after going through it you learn lots.

As 2manykids mentioned look around for insur if purchasing an HD, mine was a tad pricey but well worth it.

Hillclimber

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well went down to harley .....got approved for a 01 dyna wide glide with stage 1kit :d ...........The mrs loves the bike as do i but interest is a bit high(15%!!!!!) so im thinkin a line of credit and i will just throw my credit card ballance on with the bike.....But im pretty sure a found my baby!!!!!:d:d:beer::beer:

pic from cell so sry about quality.

nice looking bike it has some crazy apes on it.

HARDCORE

Reaction score
just don't go through the inns that the Harley dealer recomends or you'll get raped.....I pay just under $500 a yr full coverage, road side etc. Pays to shop around ;)

Hey good choice! and congrats!

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what ever you decide on, take the training course FIRST,,
thenif mainly doubling with your GF,go bigger than 1000cc,and water cooled will last a long time compared to Air cooled. Straight pipes may sound OK for short rides, But after a few hours, the Lil Lady will not be happy.
and make sure what ever you pick,you can pick it off the ground, when I was a Honda dealer. I would lay a big thick Quilt down beside the bike,lay the bike down on it and ask the potential buyer to pick it up. if you cant,look for smaller bike.

Honda is my recommendation, ease of parts availablity. most bigger towns have a dealer ship too.and Bike wreckers have parts.
and easy to work on if your a do it yourselfer.
Certain Hondas stay away from, the V-45s,V-65s hard to work on ,hard to get parts for.stick to 10 yr old & newer if possible.

Big Scooters are easy to operate, great on gas and very Comfy
650 Suzuki Bergmans or Honda 650 Silverwing.stay away from the Chinese stuff.

or any Gold Wing, best Honda built, comfy,Quiet,But Heavy if you drop it.
But Im Biased,I have had all models since new.except 1800s. not interested in a FI bike.

Just my 2 bits worth... email for any questions

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya did some long hard thinkin i cant seem to get the interest rate i want so ive decided to let the harley go. So im back in the market but most likely it will be a 03 or newer Shadow 750 ...Prob try and squeez some extra power out of it via pipes/air cleaner/jetting etc...

Top Bottom