Starter bike

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at buyin a bike this summer ....have ridden dirt my hole life and now i want to take next step.

what would be a decent bike (older or newer) i want to be able to ride highway and be able to put the GF on the back.

Was thinkin shadow/vulcan/m50/sportsportster(was told that 883 wouldnt do highways with comfort??) What you boys think should i just go buy a old cheepy to learn or spend the cash and buy around a few years old.

Any one got older bike sittin in the barn somewhere they would be willing to sell for a fair price???

Note- newer =01 and up older = 90's-80's wont be buying new.

HARDCORE

Reaction score
I'd buy a sweet bike right off the get go if I were you, as you said you've rode dirtbikes all your life so youd be rite on que for a streetbike imo

....don't buy a skirtster 883, you'd be wanting a bigger cruiser in no time for you and your girl

Cameo

Reaction score
First thing i did was take a training class. I did, been riding dirt all my life, thought I knew it all, and man did I learn a lot at the class. I went t TNT in the west end.
I bought a couple of 84 V65 Magnas for $4k, and split with a buddy. cheap to start at $2 each, but had do do some wrenching. big/fast bike for a newbie, but since we both had a lot of time on the saddle, not too bad. had mine for 2 years, buddy still has his...4sale I think.
I now have a VTX1800...simular bike, as in Sport cruiser, kind of thing from the V65. man the VTX is a blast on the highway, and quick, and smooth, and I like it. :)

One thing to think about, and I will probably hear a lot of arguments, but if you are going to double, make sure:
1) The bike is rated for the weight (sport bikes are not built to double unless you and her are 10 year old girls). We all like the cute girl in a thong and tight jeans hanging on the back of a crotch rocket, but the bke does not handle properly, and if a panic stop is needed, she is now a projectile.
2) YOU are comfortable and confident (not cockey) first. these things are dangerous, and 2 rookies on 1 bike is dangerous, she can get you into a lot of trouble if she is a rookie passenger. TNT even recommend having your passenger take the class too. I had an eye opener when a cute little girl tried to get more comfortable on the back of my bke while rounding a traffic circle...not good.

Any who back to the basic question, I would buy something slightly used...within 10 years, and as low mileage as you can. parts are pricey and hard to find for the older bikes, they seem to discontinue them after 12 years or so. I would find something that fits, and not too big and heavy. Its not if you crash, but when. Some guys say "but I am a good rider" it don't matter, cause it usually isnt the riders fault (if he /she isnt stunting). For the first bike, pick up something for $4-6k, low mileage, in decent shape. keep it clean, shiney, and in good condition and in 3-4 years, sell it for the same price. and upgrade.

Good luck, have fun, and see you out there. :)

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want a good trouble free, easy to ride bike with lots of looks, style and power that you can easily learn to ride without needing to spend the money a starter bike I reccomend a Victory Vegas. Taking a riding course is always a great idea as wel. Check 'em out at Cycle Works and then look for a good used one, these things are almost bulletproof and built by Polaris.

Attachments

• IMG_0875.jpg
    IMG_0875.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 55
  • After6.jpg
    After6.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 57

Hillclimber

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The vulcan is a good bike to learn on. I have the vulcan 900 classic lt. I took the riders safe riding corse best think a guy can do. Worth every penny. Then i bouught a 06 vulcan 900 its a great learning bike. i wouldnt go any lower than a 900 cc. I also Rode dirt all my life. The course tought me a lot of great skills. good luck with what ever way you go. Ride Safe

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^ good info in these posts.

My advice, although it may be fairly obvious, many riders fail to do the easy things that will save your hide.

It is YOUR responsibility to stay safe. No matter who's fault an accident is you will pay the price. Stay out of blindspots - Not only when you are the one overcoming, but when a car pulls up next to you either get in front if it, or behind its bumper. If you are stuck next to a car in traffic or whatever, stay moving relative to the car. Accel then fall back a bit. It's harder for a cage driver to forget about you if you're always moving around in his side view.

Watch your surroundings at all times. If you fail to make room for a douchebag tailgater to get by you, you are the one at risk. If you brake hard for a light / ped/ turn/ etc. the car behind you may not be able to stop as fast. I always watch my mirror when braking or stopped. you might need to jump off the bike or accel to avoid being rear ended.

Look around at EVERY intersection you go through. Bikes are easy for cars to miss and people blow yellows/ reds/ stop signs all the time.

Practice emergency braking in different weather, different road surface, turning or not, etc.

Good luck.

Edit. I guess you didnt ask about any of that, so back to your question. Buy something cheaper and see what you like/ don't like, then get the bike you want later on when you know what you like.

Cameo

Reaction score
Great post, good advice.
A buddy of mine has been hit twice on the Yellowhead, both not his fault. and the last time, if he wasnt paying attention, I would be paying my respects. rear ended by a drunk in an uninsured truck. fortunatley he walked away, because he was allert, looking around, and watching his mirrors...which not need to be replaced due to the bike taking a big hit.
And just like anything, you will never buy and keep the one bike forever, always a new one or upgrade, or different style comes along, thats why I wouldnt sink a fortune into the first one.

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right on boys thanks for all the imput (even hints about being safe and tips) i will be taking a saftey coarse(do they supply the bike or do you? can you get your license thru the coarse or still have to do a complete road test?)

As far as a bike ive seen a few shadow 750 ace and aero for around th 5g mark ....how are they as far as highway driving? ....Im deffinatly wanting a shaft drive due to maintainence.

Hillclimber

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right on boys thanks for all the imput (even hints about being safe and tips) i will be taking a saftey coarse(do they supply the bike or do you? can you get your license thru the coarse or still have to do a complete road test?)

As far as a bike ive seen a few shadow 750 ace and aero for around th 5g mark ....how are they as far as highway driving? ....Im deffinatly wanting a shaft drive due to maintainence.

Not sure what its like in alberta but bc you take a course there let you use there bike for the course then you have the choice if you want to use your bike or theres for the road test. I would go bigger than a 750.

tbosch

Reaction score
If you want a good trouble free, easy to ride bike with lots of looks, style and power that you can easily learn to ride without needing to spend the money a starter bike I reccomend a Victory Vegas. Taking a riding course is always a great idea as wel. Check 'em out at Cycle Works and then look for a good used one, these things are almost bulletproof and built by Polaris.

X2. My first bike was a jackpot and I loved it. Nice looking bike and it'll stomp a hog easily. I rode mine hard, and never had a problem with it ever.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Still have to do the road test. Worst place is Walmart parking lots!! The M50 is a good bike i own one. For long distance on the HWY i would get a bit bigger. But if it is just an hour or so. Great bike, easy to toss around in the city. Enough power, very comfy. The only issue i had was legs being long, so i put on a set of swing wing pegs. Who knows mine might be up for sale this year , i want a M109

Cameo

Reaction score
I took mine at TnT, bikes are supplied, and test, i heard the tests have to be done off sight now...not sure on that. do your written any time, better to do it before the class.
As for the bike...750 Shadows are nice, anything that can hit 100 km is ok for the highway, depends on the distance/time/riderand passenger weight/gear to carry etc. my V65 was way fast, but not real comfortable for 3+ hours, and it was a pig on fuel. My VTX easy for 6 hour ride, and a lot of power with bags, me @200, and girlfriend @115 lbs. i have rented Harleys for long rides, and they were sluggish compared to the VYX with the same load, and the vibration I found tiring.
If touring is what you like, look for a bike set up for it. If only in town, an sport bike might be better. newer bikes are easier to get luggage for.
I am now looking at an ST1300, or Yami's =, or a full touring Harley or goldwing, but i am not selling my VTX, I like it way too much!!

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well i would like to do lots of highway. Im in veg and would be nice to take bike to edmonton also weekend trips to jasper with the GF (after i go myself of coarse :d u know got to have some hours b4 the mtns with passanger). Am wanting bike mostly for touring fuel economy sounds nice to lol.

What do u think would a shadow 750 would make for a half comfy ride to jasper with passanger and luggage or is that bike going to be WAY to sluggish.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well i would like to do lots of highway. Im in veg and would be nice to take bike to edmonton also weekend trips to jasper with the GF (after i go myself of coarse :d u know got to have some hours b4 the mtns with passanger). Am wanting bike mostly for touring fuel economy sounds nice to lol.

What do u think would a shadow 750 would make for a half comfy ride to jasper with passanger and luggage or is that bike going to be WAY to sluggish.

How about a brand new 800 suzuki c50t w/ windshield / bags/ loaded for 8300 plus tax?

T

Cameo

Reaction score
All depends, how much do you and the girlfriend weigh? if you are lighter, it may be fine, not a rocket, but for touring fine. if you comine out at 500+, you might want a little extra power.

Kind of a sensitive subjuct there...refer to SBR fantacy thread :)

I was looking at the M50, I'm 6'2", and found it rea comfortable, never rode it though.

big cruisers are big and HEAVY for a first bike.

Here's my VTX without the bags

Attachments

• Top Drive, April 2008 044.jpg
    Top Drive, April 2008 044.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 50

HARDCORE

Reaction score
don't buy a Victory, be a man and buy a real bike ...Harley Davidson ;) .......even the Skirsters (Sportster) is a better choice :D

........and a bike course! come on now LOL

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 750 honda would be a little light on power with a passenger, check the next size bigger I think it is 1100 cc buddy has one I rode it same style of bike but diff. in power

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i bought a 883 sportster for my wife and she loves it for u i would buy a older harley yeah u pay alittle more but when u sell u wont lose very much just saying;)

Attachments

• jens new harley 003.jpg
    jens new harley 003.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Top Bottom