4 year old boy what bike?

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay pw 50???? Or Crf 50? I looked at the mini 50 ktm but 3400 bucks??? I can buy two honda's... no thanks no offence to anyone just not in my price range.

This is boy 1 of 3... two others to follow... so here is my thought...

get him the pw 50 for this year... crf 50 next year... hand down the pw? His brother will be 2.5 so he may have to wait an extra summer...

any dads have experience handing down bikes? Seems unfair to always get the older guy the new bikes???? Any input on parenting from experience would also help... thanks

i heard guys say their kids get board of the pw 50 my boy is 3.5 feet 40 lbs... tallish for his age but not top of the charts... would the pw be good for a 5 year old... meaning would i be able to use it this year and next year????

Thanks for the input... i always said i'd wait till he was 5... but i can hardly wait... no mx stuff just fields with dad

only reason im leaning to pw 50 is i heard guys on other sites complianing the crf 50 is tall and too heavy???

kennyblatz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My neighbors kid is 5 this year and still rides the pw50. He is moving up to his ktm soon but with booth parents as racers he gets lots of practice.

Handing down bikes I got to ride a 74 ct70 till I was 230 pounds and got a job to get my own bike. So I wouldnt feel bad if the 3rd boy gets a little older bike. If hes concerned let him pick out new graphics for it probably keep his interest for cheap.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think you can go wrong with the CRF 50, they are good to like 220 lbs and bulletproof. had my kids on them starting at 5, bought a '93 Z50R and both kids pummeled that thing for ten years. just sold it last spring, still ran like a top....made 200 bucks over what i paid for it.

fidorama

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.geocaching.com
my vote would be for the Honda. Hell I had to pimp one out for myself 88cc big bore, race head, ported out... not a kids bike anymore. but a riot to ride :).... stock they are bulletproof and will handle all 3 of your kids abuse. I bought my nephew one when he was 4

Last edited:

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think you can go wrong with the CRF 50, they are good to like 220 lbs and bulletproof. had my kids on them starting at 5, bought a '93 Z50R and both kids pummeled that thing for ten years. just sold it last spring, still ran like a top....made 200 bucks over what i paid for it.

220 chit I was ridin one last year at 245 ! Lol
Bottomed out a bit but still good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vanderberg

Reaction score
My first bike was a pw 50 new in 86 I think and it was great had some minor motor work done to it to give it more power after the first season but rode it everyday for two years than I out grew it when I was 7 I think. Move on to a hand me down mx 80 that was old but I enjoyed it. No problems whatsoever with the pw reliability was great and had a cousin that was 16 that road it occasionally it bottomed but was still going. I know it's an older year but that haven't changed them much except color I think and are very light easy to start and handle pretty good Just my 2 cents

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends on the size of your kids. PW50 has a lot lower seat height than the z50 or crf or whatever they call it now.

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got my Kid a PW50 as he was smaller size at the age 4 and road the nuts off it till he was maybe 7 so can't go wrong with either Honda or Yamy . Naturally went with the KTM 50 after that but he got on it and spooked himself the first few rides and never road it again . The KTM is a huge difference and know a few kids that scared themselves on them never to ride again .

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My first bike was a pw 50 new in 86 I think and it was great had some minor motor work done to it to give it more power after the first season but rode it everyday for two years than I out grew it when I was 7 I think. Move on to a hand me down mx 80 that was old but I enjoyed it. No problems whatsoever with the pw reliability was great and had a cousin that was 16 that road it occasionally it bottomed but was still going. I know it's an older year but that haven't changed them much except color I think and are very light easy to start and handle pretty good Just my 2 cents
pw 50 is still the exact same as 1986 other than differnet plastics/graphics

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 5 year old on her first bike...XR50 with training wheels.

Attachments

• P7300029 (800x600).jpg
    P7300029 (800x600).jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 162

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got my 4 year old on a pw50, light enough that he can pick it up himself when he drops it, low seat height, easy to restrict the throttle. Just fits him perfect. He can ride my 7 year olds ttr50 but doesn't look comfortable on it and the 4 strokes are way too heavy for him to pick up and manoeuvre.

Mr Husaberg

Reaction score
I bought the pw50 then the 70 and then a125l, then a kx100 then a wr250f for my two kids as they grew The oldest now thinks she should ride one of husabergs! You can not go wrong with the pw. No gears just brakes and throttle to start. The sell crazy fast when you are done with them.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends on the size of your kids. PW50 has a lot lower seat height than the z50 or crf or whatever they call it now.

yes... i was at peace river yamaha yesterday and figured that out preatty quick... honestly the bike made my outgoing boy really nervous... he wouldn't even sit on it... if you have ever been to peace river yamaha great family run business... they tried everything to get him comfortable... 1500 bucks out the door with training wheels... thinking maybe wait 1 more year... i like the pw for the automatic thing... how hard was it to teach a kid to ride a 3 speed?

do you guys put riding boots on your kids ????

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got my 4 year old on a pw50, light enough that he can pick it up himself when he drops it, low seat height, easy to restrict the throttle. Just fits him perfect. He can ride my 7 year olds ttr50 but doesn't look comfortable on it and the 4 strokes are way too heavy for him to pick up and manoeuvre.

the ttr 50 is very similar to the crf 50 correct? three speed manual shift? do you wish you woulda gone with that and training wheels or is the pw 50 working best? with the kick stand on the pw he was about 2 inches from touching the ground... going back today and retrying it... wife called we got cut short...

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

troy where you in Peace River on a moto'd 450x yesterday???

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did ya get your boy a bike yet?

nope... he wont even sit on it... so decided not to push it... we went back three times... then i went to the Honda shop in High Prairie just to see the crf50... dealer there said wait till 6 or 7 just baced on my son's reaction... figures pushing him now when he is scared could turn him off... wife was happy... boy choose a pirate ship for his 4th birthday over the pw50 so im thinking i don't have a future riding buddy... i hope that keeping him away will build the drive to it??? if that makes sence

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nope... he wont even sit on it... so decided not to push it... we went back three times... then i went to the Honda shop in High Prairie just to see the crf50... dealer there said wait till 6 or 7 just baced on my son's reaction... figures pushing him now when he is scared could turn him off... wife was happy... boy choose a pirate ship for his 4th birthday over the pw50 so im thinking i don't have a future riding buddy... i hope that keeping him away will build the drive to it??? if that makes sence

Pirate ship was cheaper I bet hahaha

ponyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SUMTHINGNUW ..... check this out on kijji 200 fat cat Honda .... these things hold there value..... I believe it is an automatic

Attachments

• $_20.jpg
    $_20.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 105
Top Bottom