Springs or Air bags

Griz-L-Bar

Reaction score
Actually GVW is NOT GOD...and yes you can exceed your GVW on your door sticker each and every day that you wish too...

Legal weight capacity is based off your tires...Go from an 8 ply to a 10 or 12 ply tire and you can legally register your truck for more weight.

Air bags dont affect weight capacity from a legal standpoint, just level out your ride. (I know you know this, Im just confirming).

Interesting did not know that. So if I put 10 ply on my pickup I can register higher weight.

Or is this comercial vehical stuff?

That would effectivily end this thread because I would be well under weight then.

Do you know how much weight can be registered on 6,8,or 10 ply

thx

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Interesting did not know that. So if I put 10 ply on my pickup I can register higher weight.

Or is this comercial vehical stuff?

That would effectivily end this thread because I would be well under weight then.

Do you know how much weight can be registered on 6,8,or 10 ply

thx

Yes I am speaking of a commercially registered vehicle, which is why I usually find these theads amusing. Since most of the people that ever argue these issues run personal plates, there is little to no chance of ever receiving a ticket as you guys dont have to scale. Those of us that do scale know these rules inside and out because we have to. We normally deal with it on a daily basis.

That is why I chuckle when any of you talk about being overweight and illegal. Who is going to stop you LOL...RCMP and DOT dont stop personal vehicles and check for weight as you do not have a registered weight on those vehicles. And as much as people seem to believe, you arent being pulled over for being overweight on a half ton. Are there safety issues, you bet, but not legal ones.

As far as your question regarding the tires, each and every tire has a different weight rating. These are stamped on every tire, and classified as single or dual. Funny fact...you can carry less weight per tire on a dually than you can on a single wheel. Have a look at your own tires on your truck tomorrow. Note the weight rating, multiply by 4 and that is the maximum allowable weight that you can register for (with commercial plates) and legally haul. GVW really has little to do with it. This applies in AB, and SK, and BC if you have AB plates.

As an example, my Megacab 3500 runs Toyo 35x12.5x17 tires, max capacity approx 3700# per tire x 4 tires = 14,800 pounds I can legally register and haul. So you can see where I say the GVW of 10,000# (as per Cyle) means nothing, its almost 5000 pounds less than what is legal.

campingnut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is why I chuckle when any of you talk about being overweight and illegal. Who is going to stop you LOL...RCMP and DOT dont stop personal vehicles and check for weight as you do not have a registered weight on those vehicles.

Obviously you have never been to B.C. with 2 sleds on a deck and personal plates lol.....

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
That is why I chuckle when any of you talk about being overweight and illegal. Who is going to stop you LOL...RCMP and DOT dont stop personal vehicles and check for weight as you do not have a registered weight on those vehicles.

Obviously you have never been to B.C. with 2 sleds on a deck and personal plates lol.....

Been to BC many times with 2 sleds on a deck. I do not have personal plates but you cannot tell until you read the insurance papers. Are you suggesting that they are weighing trucks, or just looking for other infractions. All I have ever seen stopping sleds are RCMP, and they dont weigh anybody. To my knowledge the RCMP dosent even own scales, and they sure arent out there doing math to see if you are exceeding your GVW

campingnut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes in BC I have been checked and seen more than one overloaded truck leave something behind because they are overloaded. It is the RCMP truck division with portable scales (they are here in Alberta but never been pulled over)

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Yes in BC I have been checked and seen more than one overloaded truck leave something behind because they are overloaded. It is the RCMP truck division with portable scales (they are here in Alberta but never been pulled over)

Ok, I have never seen them, but that doesnt mean they arent of course. But here is my question. Based on what criteria are they ticketing or making someone adjust their load? You do not have a registered weight on a personal vehicle so what weight would be the basis? It is not illegal to exceed your GVW, so door stickers wouldnt make sense, do they use the tires as they do on commercial vehicles? And again, same question, no registered weight to exceed, so how are you overweight.

Im not looking for an arguement or trying to start one, Im just genuinly curious. I have one vehicle with personal plates (the wifes) and it would apply, so I would like to know.

campingnut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually I was not trying to be a D*** either, or start an argument, just starting a conversation. They went by door sticker (they do the same in some U.S. states also, but I have heard people say some go by tires. I travel a lot of rural roads here in Alberta and that is were I see them most. In BC they mostly pick on SRW trucks especially ones pulling a trailer.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Actually I was not trying to be a D*** either, or start an argument, just starting a conversation. They went by door sticker (they do the same in some U.S. states also, but I have heard people say some go by tires. I travel a lot of rural roads here in Alberta and that is were I see them most. In BC they mostly pick on SRW trucks especially ones pulling a trailer.

I think it would be quite the arguement if you were pulled over. And I agree I see them set up quite a bit on the rural roads all over, but normally down here it is a mobile scale cop, not RCMP. I know RCMP has a commercial division, even city police here in Medicine Hat has a commercial division, but again these are all stopping commercial vehicles, not private plated ones.

I just find it very interesting, that a commercial division would be stopping private vehicles, and am super interested in what rules they are trying to enforce. Traffic safety act applies to both vehicles, but the weight ratings and issues seem to only apply to commercial vehicles. I have a bud that is very into the commercial training side, I will shoot him an email and see if he has any insight into what rules they would be applying.

Interesting...

campingnut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am actually curious also as I have been known to be overweight by my door sticker but not by my tires (I run 19.5" 16 ply tires on a SRW truck).

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it would be quite the arguement if you were pulled over. And I agree I see them set up quite a bit on the rural roads all over, but normally down here it is a mobile scale cop, not RCMP. I know RCMP has a commercial division, even city police here in Medicine Hat has a commercial division, but again these are all stopping commercial vehicles, not private plated ones.

I just find it very interesting, that a commercial division would be stopping private vehicles, and am super interested in what rules they are trying to enforce. Traffic safety act applies to both vehicles, but the weight ratings and issues seem to only apply to commercial vehicles. I have a bud that is very into the commercial training side, I will shoot him an email and see if he has any insight into what rules they would be applying.

Interesting...

I believe they are enforcing the provincial regulations and Act which are generally intended to prevent damage to roads and structures and ensure vehicles are maintained safely. This is why the focus on tire ratings and axle weights and physical dimensions of load. They don't want trucks running into overpasses and damaging infrastructure (roads) the province has paid for.

I believe the federal MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY Regulations have what your looking for and applies:

“cargo-carrying capacity” means the mass that is equal to or less than the result obtained by subtracting from the gross vehicle weight rating the sum of

(a) the unloaded vehicle mass,
(b) the product obtained by multiplying the designated seating capacity by 54 kg, in the case of a school bus, or by 68 kg, in any other case, and
(c) in the case of a vehicle having living or sanitary accommodations, the mass of its fresh water, hot water and propane tanks, but not its waste water tanks, when full; (capacité de chargement)

It also defines GVWR:

“gross vehicle weight rating” or “GVWR” means the value specified by the vehicle manufacturer as the loaded weight of a single vehicle; (poids nominal brut du véhicule or PNBV)

I know your not saying it's a good idea to overload a vehicle just because the tires are rated for that load.

As to why staff at the scales do not enforce these rules....everyone has a job and this ain't theirs.

It's also not the insurance companies job to make sure your following the law.

Their are a pile of laws and regulations around vehicle manufacturing - have a read of the federal regulations and act. It'll answer a lot of your questions.

Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations

Griz-L-Bar

Reaction score
Yes I am speaking of a commercially registered vehicle, which is why I usually find these theads amusing. Since most of the people that ever argue these issues run personal plates, there is little to no chance of ever receiving a ticket as you guys dont have to scale. Those of us that do scale know these rules inside and out because we have to. We normally deal with it on a daily basis.

That is why I chuckle when any of you talk about being overweight and illegal. Who is going to stop you LOL...RCMP and DOT dont stop personal vehicles and check for weight as you do not have a registered weight on those vehicles. And as much as people seem to believe, you arent being pulled over for being overweight on a half ton. Are there safety issues, you bet, but not legal ones.

As far as your question regarding the tires, each and every tire has a different weight rating. These are stamped on every tire, and classified as single or dual. Funny fact...you can carry less weight per tire on a dually than you can on a single wheel. Have a look at your own tires on your truck tomorrow. Note the weight rating, multiply by 4 and that is the maximum allowable weight that you can register for (with commercial plates) and legally haul. GVW really has little to do with it. This applies in AB, and SK, and BC if you have AB plates.

As an example, my Megacab 3500 runs Toyo 35x12.5x17 tires, max capacity approx 3700# per tire x 4 tires = 14,800 pounds I can legally register and haul. So you can see where I say the GVW of 10,000# (as per Cyle) means nothing, its almost 5000 pounds less than what is legal.

ok That is all good.

But I will never run commercial heard it is $. But on the other hand I was warned by my insurance agent that before I went to BC I had better make damn sure I was legal because they do care, another of his clients had those buggars impound his trailer, would not release it till he got proper size truck to pull it..

And when speaking non-comercial GVW would apply still. I have also heard there is rumblings that Ab will soon adopt more strict RV regulations regarding GVW and Licensing( Class 1,2,3,4,5 and so on)

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
air bags buy far........... rides the same as before if not better... but u have more capacity

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
I believe they are enforcing the provincial regulations and Act which are generally intended to prevent damage to roads and structures and ensure vehicles are maintained safely. This is why the focus on tire ratings and axle weights and physical dimensions of load. They don't want trucks running into overpasses and damaging infrastructure (roads) the province has paid for.

I believe the federal MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY Regulations have what your looking for and applies:

“cargo-carrying capacity” means the mass that is equal to or less than the result obtained by subtracting from the gross vehicle weight rating the sum of

(a) the unloaded vehicle mass,
(b) the product obtained by multiplying the designated seating capacity by 54 kg, in the case of a school bus, or by 68 kg, in any other case, and
(c) in the case of a vehicle having living or sanitary accommodations, the mass of its fresh water, hot water and propane tanks, but not its waste water tanks, when full; (capacité de chargement)

It also defines GVWR:

“gross vehicle weight rating” or “GVWR” means the value specified by the vehicle manufacturer as the loaded weight of a single vehicle; (poids nominal brut du véhicule or PNBV)

I know your not saying it's a good idea to overload a vehicle just because the tires are rated for that load.

As to why staff at the scales do not enforce these rules....everyone has a job and this ain't theirs.

It's also not the insurance companies job to make sure your following the law.

Their are a pile of laws and regulations around vehicle manufacturing - have a read of the federal regulations and act. It'll answer a lot of your questions.

Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations

Shawn,

you make some good points here, but the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations are not what gets enforced on the hiways, the Hiway Traffic Safety Act is what is enforced by law enforcement agencies. If you are a manufacturer of vehicles, or a builder of trailers, etc, then Motor Veh Saf Reg applies.

In the AB Hiway traffic safety act, the 'maximum allowable weight' legal to operate under is what is defined under the act by licesnse or permit NOT GVW or GVWR.

Thats why I find this so interesting. There are white and black rules for a commercial vehicle, but I dont see the same clarity for a private vehicle. Seems to be a huge space that is open to the judgement of the officer?? I have poured over the Hiway Traffic Safety Act for years, know it fairly well, and I dont see that it applies to anyone with private plates.

Im at a loss as to what applies to the normal run of the mill private plate driver when hauling loads. Dont get me wrong I know lots of guys are pulled over with sled decks and sled trailers, but there are far more people on the hiways pulling over-weight RVs and they seldom if EVER get stopped. My theory, is that normally there are other infractions that sledders are breaking, tie downs, length, etc. But has anyone actually gotten a ticket or a fine for weight? I havent heard of one, but if anyone here has, I would like to know what act the ticket was given under so that we could answer these questions.

Still interesting...

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
ok That is all good.

But I will never run commercial heard it is $. But on the other hand I was warned by my insurance agent that before I went to BC I had better make damn sure I was legal because they do care, another of his clients had those buggars impound his trailer, would not release it till he got proper size truck to pull it..

And when speaking non-comercial GVW would apply still. I have also heard there is rumblings that Ab will soon adopt more strict RV regulations regarding GVW and Licensing( Class 1,2,3,4,5 and so on)

1. Legal based on 'what' is still the unanswered question...Not commercial regulations, as you arent commercial. Still unanswered, and I have looked like crazy for an answer

2. Dont say that here...There has been talk for years, and yes they are talking again, but when you say it here, you normally get attcked that it will never happen...I for one, will cheer when it does.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
I stumbled across this today, it is specific to RV towing, but was the first piece of paper that I can find that states that these rules apply to NON COMMERCIAL VEHICLES

In this doc, it states that your gvwr on your sticker is what you should go by, or the weight rating of the axles even though your combined axle allowance is higher than your GVWR.

It doesnt answer all the questions, but im still looking...

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/Content/docType41/Production/recvehtowguide.pdf

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I just put air bags on my 3500 Megacab.Can I haul 20,000lbs now?

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Only 80?Was gonna see if they could handle 120 like the big truck ones.

Griz-L-Bar

Reaction score
I stumbled across this today, it is specific to RV towing, but was the first piece of paper that I can find that states that these rules apply to NON COMMERCIAL VEHICLES

In this doc, it states that your gvwr on your sticker is what you should go by, or the weight rating of the axles even though your combined axle allowance is higher than your GVWR.

It doesnt answer all the questions, but im still looking...

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/Content/docType41/Production/recvehtowguide.pdf

Bingo. I had hit a dead end in my searching, or maybe was just not looking hard enough, either way thankyou for finding this.

I think this would temporairly anwser the question of how much personal vehicle can carry. And that would be the door sticker.

Ive wanted to say this and think maybe I have but that doesn't matter it was just a gut feeling.

Commercial vehicle can get away with a little more, and Im wondering if that the gov't thinks that commercial drivers have had training or courses that make them aware of the extra weight and characteristics of a heavy load. Where the general public may not. I have GODI, 1, air, load securement, couple more I think, all releted to work and driving a commercial vehicle, but never have had to take a course for personal use.

Checked my tires they say 3750lbs single. x 4 equal 15000lbs HOLY CRAP:eek:. I don't think you or me wants to see that day.:nono:

SORRY CYLE did not realize you were talking commercial my bad.

Top Bottom