Springs or Air bags

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2010 Chev 1500 4wd, And a 6000lb holiday trailer. When I put the trailer on the back of my truck sinks lots. I loose about 2.5 in. Should I put a leaf or an air bag system on any thoughts.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Seriously though...well actually I WAS being serious, but back to your question, I have tried both and I much prefer the airbags. I would only use extra springs on something like a welding truck where the weight is constant. You only want the help when you are pulling your too heavy trailer, so the bags would be a great way to go. Get the compressor also, you will never regret the extra bucks

campingnut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 1 question to you have a good weight distribution hitch or is it a 5th wheel. Because your trailer should only have 600-700 of tongue weight and that should not effect it that much.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both are very good points. Extra leaf for constant weight. I have air bags under my 3/4 ton ram. If you go the route, invest in the compressor as well. Did one year with out the compressor and what a pain in the a$$.

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 1 question to you have a good weight distribution hitch or is it a 5th wheel. Because your trailer should only have 600-700 of tongue weight and that should not effect it that much.

ya but it is a chev lol

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I only pull the trailer once a year for holidays 2 weeks. The rest of the time it only goes a short distance. The weight on the hitch is in the limits of the truck it just sags more than I like.

campingnut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would look into Timbrens as they do not effect the ride empty and do not need onboard air as bags need to be kept at a min. of 5-8lbs all the time or you will ruin them.

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
With an extra leaf you will stiffen up your existing spring pack and loose your smooth ride when not pulling your trailer. Air bags are adjustable, therefore a better way to go.

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I too have a similar problem with my 08 silverado 1500.I just purchased a set of Firestone Ride Rite airbags and will be installing them tomorrow.I will post up some pics tomorrow with the install.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

unless you get the towing package with truck you may only be able to legally carry less than 500 lbs in truck, and with 700 lbs on rear, yes it will sag and sway all over the highway. check your weight capacities on the drivers door frame, weigh your truck and weigh your trailer, springs and bags will not increase your legal weight limits.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How heavy is your trailer tongue weight? If your truck is sagging that much I would bet that you are close to or over your limit. I decided last year to get the 3/4 ton for our trailer as it weighs 5400(dry) by the time you add water propane wood and then of course the quad you will kill any 1/2 ton. Its not the weight carrying capacity you have to worry about it's the brakes! I had air bags on my 91 F150 put 2100 lbs in the box did it ever handle like a slug on beer. Stopping was kind of freaky. My two cents are to get a truck rated for the load or get a smaller trailer, cuz you are going to be overloaded.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run bags on everything from my 1500- to my 2500....even one sled on my 3/4 and it make the back end drop.....well a Yamy on the back.....I guess I should get a 1 ton lol......

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
his truck is well within the limits of a 1/2 ton. maximum 1/2 ton trailer weight ratings are anywhere between 9000-11000 lbs. i have a trailer same size and it makes my back end sag a bit with a 3/4 ton. unless you have a 5500 all trucks are going to sag with that little of weight

a good weight distribution hitch and anti-sway is the way to go btw i have airbags and a cordless air compressor, works great.

four4all

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You sounds like your overloaded.

Irregardless, Firestone bags - $420 from Gregg's (for my 05 duramax), easy 1 hr install DIY.
For sure - get the compressor - twice I filled/depressureed the airbags before I said 'screw this' - I'm getting the onbaord compressor. I installed the compressor and a bleed off valve in engine compartment. Much better.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You sounds like your overloaded.

Irregardless, Firestone bags - $420 from Gregg's (for my 05 duramax), easy 1 hr install DIY.
For sure - get the compressor - twice I filled/depressureed the airbags before I said 'screw this' - I'm getting the onbaord compressor. I installed the compressor and a bleed off valve in engine compartment. Much better.

I just paid $289 for a set of firestones to fit a 08 1500 dodge last month......they are all the same price at Lordco in BC!

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just paid $289 for a set of firestones to fit a 08 1500 dodge last month......they are all the same price at Lordco in BC!
Lordco quoted me $581.Napa $399 I bought online for $260 no tax and installed them myself it took 2 hrs start to finish.

Top Bottom