Spring Riding

Bikeswithtrax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If concerned about getting out of a road, back in, then if you can't make it just drive out. Having driven low bed trailers for years, if there is a concern, I back in. Last fall I backed in 8 kms, no big deal at all. Worst case scenario I got stuck. Walk into the machine, use it to push the truck out of the hole to a more solid area, load the excavator up, and head on out.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If concerned about getting out of a road, back in, then if you can't make it just drive out. Having driven low bed trailers for years, if there is a concern, I back in. Last fall I backed in 8 kms, no big deal at all. Worst case scenario I got stuck. Walk into the machine, use it to push the truck out of the hole to a more solid area, load the excavator up, and head on out.
I see lots of people have a hard time parking a trailer in the parking lot. Imo if you have an enclosed trailer leave it in the parking lot. Seen to many guys block the roads trying to park or turn around, Then ask for help to get out. Just what I want to do on the one day off a week I have to go sledding.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably only sled that could pull truck and trailer out of the Mud would be a ___________.

Bikeswithtrax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess assuming that people can back up their trailers was overreaching on my part. Spent 32 years now driving truck, backing up a quad wagon, super b, jeep and lowbed, or whatever is second nature to me, so i find my 26 foot enclosed sled trailer a breeze.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember you talking about that. 2-3 yrs ago? Took awhile to get your truck didn't it?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy's truck was stuck on the mountain for a month. Some times getting to the spot is an adventure in its self.

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_7820-1.jpg

DSC_7862.jpg

DSC_7864.jpg

DSCF7573.jpg

DSCF7940.jpg

DSCF8386.jpg

DSCF8800.jpg

Photo0061.jpg

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think this thread is a good place to remind everyone to use some common sense and etiquette when parking your rigs in spring conditions. There's not much worse than riding 10kms of dirt because some twat just randomly throws 'er in park, unloads and fawks off, blocking the road for everyone above or below them. That really grinds my gears! Also don't use a good turnaround spot as your parking spot.

It's also a safety concern - what if the guy up the road has an emergency and needs to get down the hill quickly?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think this thread is a good place to remind everyone to use some common sense and etiquette when parking your rigs in spring conditions. There's not much worse than riding 10kms of dirt because some twat just randomly throws 'er in park, unloads and fawks off, blocking the road for everyone above or below them. That really grinds my gears! Also don't use a good turnaround spot as your parking spot.

It's also a safety concern - what if the guy up the road has an emergency and needs to get down the hill quickly?

not calling anyone out, but usually the guy with the 30 footer that does that...

2Turnipsinheat

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have no intention of driving my 4 place up any trails even if there is a turnaround. More looking for areas that typically hold up longer into spring. I have gone to bell mountain in April before. The trail seems to hold up starting at higher elevation.

Eldereldo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pemberton Ice Cap. Ride well into the summer. The trick is getting to the snow. Not me, but the guys serious about extending their season start leaving sleds at the snow line, and riding quads/sxs in to haul fuel and get to their machines.

smc

Reaction score
Gorman in Golden is a pretty good spot for late season access. The last 5kms of the road is NW facing so I doesn’t melt out that early and you can easily drive up to the snow line. I’ve been up there mid May with minimal dirt smashing.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most helicopter operators will fly you and your sleds in, then come back at a pre determined time to fly you out. Get dropped off with extra gas, and a little camping gear, spend 3 days riding, it is more than worth it.
Says Mr deep pockets. At over a grand minimum charge per sled each way I don't see the value.

Top Bottom