Spring Riding

2Turnipsinheat

Reaction score
Might not get out for awhile now and i know this depends on conditions but was just curious on some of the best places to ride when we start rolling in to April and May? I heard some places can ride into the summer but I have a trailer and dont own a sled deck so I'm limited that way. Interested in your thoughts:)

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kanedog 2015-2019, thanks for the good times S&M!
Might not get out for awhile now and i know this depends on conditions but was just curious on some of the best places to ride when we start rolling in to April and May? I heard some places can ride into the summer but I have a trailer and dont own a sled deck so I'm limited that way. Interested in your thoughts:)
How many place trailer? Can you turn it around by hand?

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen it done or the aftermath of it in blue river. A 4 place up a logging road isn’t a good idea. Bring a chain saw, comealongs and jackalls and have chains for your truck.
id suggest picking up a cheep deck, can pick up a old fixed side steel deck for 500

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode as late as June on Boulder. Wouldn’t bring the 4 place.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
IMHO, you would be in for a lot of grief in most staging areas with a 4-place anywhere past the main parking lots. Yes, there are some places but the weather and aspect of the logging road plays such an important part in the drivability of the road. Sunny aspects of the road dry up fast and dirt/gravel is common but turn the corner to a shaded aspect and there could be icy, hard packed snow that would be impossible to traverse with the 4-place. Then, depending on how far back the last pull was, you make have to back up a long way.

Oilboy suggested you buy a cheap deck or I would suggest just use the box of your truck. Chains, shovel would be a must and the idea of a come-along would be appropriate. Be forewarned that there may be places where there could be nothing to connect a come-along to (logged areas). I have ridden on the first day of summer (June 21) and unloaded at the snow line but that is rare and definitely not with a 4-place.

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another option is buying a cheap flat deck (I have even seen some that fold up) and bringing your quad. You can shuttle 2 at a time to the snow line to make it so you don’t need to make 4 trips back and forth if you did have the 4 place full.

or, find a friend with a deck/2 place open trailer.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive seen climbmax on boulder with thirty foot in late may, it's possible....

Timing is everything. :)

If you nail it just right, you can drive a big trailer and get into one of the lots at the 4km or 9km on the Kirkup. One weekend too early and you can't punch through, one weekend too late and you're gonna dirtmobile for longer than you would probably like.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m told there’s riding in mcbride till early May, pretty stoked on T-shirt riding lol

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Clemina is always a good place to spring ride, can drive up usually to full snow coverage, always wanted to may long ride up there but may long is an annual fishing tourney with about 20 friends every year, maybe one year if it gets cancelled ill try

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Timing is everything. :)

If you nail it just right, you can drive a big trailer and get into one of the lots at the 4km or 9km on the Kirkup. One weekend too early and you can't punch through, one weekend too late and you're gonna dirtmobile for longer than you would probably like.

it's easier to time with the sled in the box and the truck full pin.

but I'm stoked on the guys brave enough to bring the 6 place up !! haha

Top Bottom